PDA

View Full Version : Harley Questions....

JLanphear
05-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay I'm a bike guy, but more so of a Jap/Sportbike guy. I know nothing about Harley's.

I'm not looking to get one, but something has puzzled me and I wonder if someone can clear things up for me.

In the paper is a 1995 Sportster 883. They are asking $5800 for it. Does not say anything other than low miles (no custom parts listed, etc...).

On Harley's site they have the Sporster 883 MSRP of like $6500.

Now that makes zero sense to me.

Are the older Sportsters different/better? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Anyway, fairly simple question I think....I'm just curious.

Thanks for answering.

-Josh

wheeltrax
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
im not too sure about the reason either, as i am more of a jap bike person too. But i have noticed that for some reason, the harleys seem to retain there value better. In all of the papers here, the price of a used one that is like 5 years old isnt to far off from the original msrp.

redrocker
05-18-2006, 03:29 PM
We in the Harley world call sportsters chick bikes
but thats about what they go for used must have
low miles but out the here it C.A. they are about
$8500.00 new hope this helps not to much has change
on the sportsters the 1200's are close to $10,000

okieRrider
05-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Here in Oklahoma City the Harley dealer will not sell a bike at MSRP.....makes no sense at all I know but they are always way higher then MSRP and will not negotiate on any of there bikes. So then if it is that way there, MSRP being $6500 and actual dealer price being say around $9000.....$5800 is an alright deal if that is what ya want.

<DRS>GPF
05-18-2006, 04:57 PM
its because the people who are trying to sell them feel they are worth more than they are.. what sense does it make to buy a 10yr old 883 with a couple of overpriced aftermarket goodies for near new bike money..

new harleys less than 10grand are stripped to the bone.. accessories for which are hundreds of dollars..
if ya buy a seat for one, then youll need to seperately buy the brackets and also seperately buy the hardware.. all at a premium cost.. WTF??

why are the classifieds filled with used ones?
do the owners come to their senses and realize the bike is worth more than their trailer?(doesnt that just getcha..)
did the union lose their job across a border and now they cant afford to pay?(saw alot of that in the last couple o years)

personally, im in the market for a used ZL900, or a ZL1000, or a V-max 1200.. any of which would blow the doors of a harley(and most other road bikes) and look great while doing it.. low maintenance, big power..

i like nice hawgs, but id never throw away my money like that.. too much for too little..

Quadfather
05-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Harleys are considered Japanese bikes anymore. Have you noticed that Harley doesn't claim they are "American Made" anymore?

They got in trouble because less than 40% of their build origination is American, and they were touting their bikes as American made.

You are paying for nothing more than the name on the tank, and the oil spot on your garage floor.

sly400ex
05-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by redrocker
We in the Harley world call sportsters chick bikes

I still get a kick out of that statement, a 1200 Sportster will smoke any Harley big twin, but yet it's a chick bike?:rolleyes:

I own a Sportster and enjoy it very much, i will own a Springer one day, but i won't look back and say I owned a chick bike.

You must be a bad burly mofo to make a statement like that.:ermm:

416exmx
05-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah a chicks bike... :rolleyes:

I have an 04 1200 Custom and 05 883 Custom. The 1200 is a pretty impressive bike for its size and will get away from ya if your not careful. Id rather hear it called a "piglett" than a chicks bike.

05-18-2006, 08:24 PM
check out what it is worth on www.KBB.com

and go to the bottom to motorcycles

Mxjunkie
05-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Sportys can look good too if you put a little money in them :p granted it still doesnt look as good as the iron horse :o

LTZ400rider
05-18-2006, 08:36 PM
the only thing i like about harleys is the sound, there is a bar down the road and everynight at 2 oclock i hear 1000 of them wfo. its great

my favorite though is this

http://cars.mariemont.net/auto_pix/10_1.jpg

american ironhorse- texas chopper, with the pipes that sweep to the side, i sat on one and could barley see over the bars :macho

Quadfather
05-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Here's mine. Honda VTX 1800C. 1797 ccs of *** kicking power.

Mxjunkie
05-18-2006, 08:45 PM
heh 1550cc of vtx1800 murdering power... 120 horse & 118t at the rear wheel.. :bandit:

Countless times, Vtx owners are fun.. :devil:

Quadfather
05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................yeahhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh.

OK.

catfishing
05-18-2006, 09:05 PM
What that price is saying-- Harley does not loose its value. Look at all the Honda,Suzuki,Kawasaki,and Yamaha sportbikes and cruisers.Big price difference between the new and used.You do not see that in Harley bikes.The Yamaha is starting to hold its value better with the cruisers than before.Look as it as an investment when you buy a Harley. As long as you keep it looking good and the maintenance work to par.You can resale it in 10yrs or more and not loose much money.

05-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Plain and simple Harley's are junk. Quadfathers VTX1800 will still be runnin strong when a Harley made on the same date will have been thru 3 engine rebuilds(maybe more) and rattled loose half of the bolts on the chassis. I have more faith in Kymco than Harley. Hate to hurt any "HOG" riders feelings but the truth is the truth- you bought an american P.O.S. not an american dream.

Mxjunkie
05-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ACEOUTDOOR
Plain and simple Harley's are junk. Quadfathers VTX1800 will still be runnin strong when a Harley made on the same date will have been thru 3 engine rebuilds(maybe more) and rattled loose half of the bolts on the chassis. I have more faith in Kymco than Harley. Hate to hurt any "HOG" riders feelings but the truth is the truth- you bought an american P.O.S. not an american dream.

HAHA what a joke this post is!! We have 2 harleys and have never had a problem with them, that goes for all the other harleys we have owned. This is about the most assnine post I have ever herd of and your information is truely based on a biased opinon by far! All of the facts you have just stated are allways brought up as sterotypes when ever the name harley is brought up its a shame! Not trying to single you out or bash you but someone allways has to put down harley no matter what..

3 engine rebuilds? PLEASE.... We have a motor that is on the verge of being run on race gas and we run it every weekend and run the living chit out it down at the track and it hasnt missed a beat in 2 years with 17,850 HARD miles on it and when I say hard I mean hard! It is run at either 75-80 usually on the highways, wfo at the drag strip and it is entered in dyno shoot outs during the summer.

I also built a sportster 1200 motor that is still going strong at 22,000 miles and its run the same as the wide glide, wfo all the time.

Harleys resale value is great compared to the jap bikes. You can buy a harley and ride it a couple times, sell it and make out no matter what. Thats why you see that sportser posted in the first post selling for so much, theres a market and people will pay the money to get the bike because they can turn around and sell it as well and still make out.

05-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Lots of firsthand experience and knowledge, no heresay. I have seen Countless low mile engines tore down and the "pot metal" components they are made of. If you got got 17,000 without a major failure consider yourself blessed.

I didn't say the resale wasn't good, I said they are JUNK.

Mxjunkie
05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Lots of firsthand experience and knowledge, no heresay. I have seen Countless low mile engines tore down and the "pot metal" components they are made of. If you got got 17,000 without a major failure consider yourself blessed.

If you dont take care of them yes, just like anything else. But honestly I've worked on many bikes before and I think harleys quailty is alot better then most of the brands out there.

I see what your saying though and I have to agree with you, I've worked on some shovel heads and a couple pan heads and they are a pain in the neck! But for the most part the new harleys are pretty relaible and specially the new efi twin cams.

Harley's custom parts are junk for the most part though lol.. had a couple mishaps there, Mass production and custom doesnt mix :chinese:

oldsandman
05-18-2006, 10:45 PM

I must be blessed...

My first Pan Head chopper that I re-built the motor on went for 25,000 miles in 1978, yeah it leaked oil...sold it and I know it ran for many years after that.

Shovel head lowrider...yeah it was a pos...amf sucked. You got me their!

I've had three evo's '94, '96, '04 all have gone over 30,000 miles with NO failures. All still running strong for their owners one of which is still me.

One revolution with 10,000miles running with no issues.

If harley couldn't bolt together "countless" motors that wouldn't make 17k without a "major failure" do you think they would still be in buisness...

Same old argument,,,,Yammi's suck! No they rule! Honda's suck! No they're bad a**! Whatever I own is the best!...blah, blah...

86350x
05-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Well I ride a honda shadow right now. And next year I'll probrably be buying a new harley davidson night rod. New harleys are pretty reliable. Older ones especially from the amf years have gven it a bed reputation.

The bike I picked out is the best performer in its class and its almost the same price as the honda,yamaha,kawasaki.

Now on the used bike, for almost the same price as new. Alot of people need to get real, when selling there old bike. I have seen the same thing. Usually the bikes don't sell......:ermm:

250rider1
05-19-2006, 06:49 AM
swing a leg over a v rod and tell me how much of a peice of junk it is when it blows buy most japenese crotch rockets!!! Yah its fast and will be for many years of being run hard. As for the jap bikes, yah they are really reliable but from the factory many of them are quieter than mopeds and i like a big motor rumbling under me. just my opinion. i dont care what you ride as long as you ride something.

okieRrider
05-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I have a 72 XLCH 1000 iron head sportster. I bought it from the original owner that bought it new in 1972. Does it throw oil, yes, is it an AMF, yes, does it have drum brakes, yes but it has been one the most reliable bikes I have ever owned in my life and I am not afraid to ride the thing anywhere. The thing will start in 2 kicks of the kick start and set there and idle perfect. Everyone has their own bikes they enjoy and some don't even have bikes and will talk crap about anything. I say just get out and ride if you have a bike and if you don't have one get a bike and get out and ride...Chris

JLanphear
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
wow...sorry for opening the can of worms guys.

Also, for the record I am not interested in buying a Harley, or anything at this time, I was just browsing through the classifieds and saw the adds which made me wonder about the resale on them.

I'm amaizing to think that in 14 years a bike is only sold for $1000 less than MSRP.

One of these days I'm going to stop by the local harley dealer and ask him how much he sells an 883 Sportster for brand new just for fun, because if it really is $6500 I couldn't ever imagine paying $5500 for one that's older than most of the kids on this forum ;) .

JR3
05-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
heh 1550cc of vtx1800 murdering power... 120 horse & 118t at the rear wheel.. :bandit:

Countless times, Vtx owners are fun.. :devil:

wow those are some short pipes that thing must be loud

bwamos
05-19-2006, 12:09 PM
If you want raw stump pulling power you want a Triumph Rocket III.

2294cc - DOHC Inline3
140 bhp @ 6000rpm
147 ft-lbs @ 2400rpm

bwamos
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by JLanphear
I'm amaizing to think that in 14 years a bike is only sold for $1000 less than MSRP.

Actually, being that it was 14 years ago.. it's probably selling for a bit more than what its MSRP was when it was new.

Quadfather
05-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 250rider1
swing a leg over a v rod and tell me how much of a peice of junk it is when it blows buy most japenese crotch rockets!!! Yah its fast and will be for many years of being run hard. As for the jap bikes, yah they are really reliable but from the factory many of them are quieter than mopeds and i like a big motor rumbling under me. just my opinion. i dont care what you ride as long as you ride something.

Maybe that's because Harley Davidson doesn't make the V Rod engine.

sly400ex
05-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
Maybe that's because Harley Davidson doesn't make the V Rod engine.

How about ride what you like and don't bash others opinions;)

05-19-2006, 03:16 PM
He's not bashing, just tellin it like it is. Porshe designed the V-rod engine. Harley has a hard enough time keeping a top end in an basic pushrod engine that should have been perfected decades ago, they have no business trying to develop a "high tech" engine themselves.

Look in your local classifieds and you might see something like 2003 Sportster, lots of chrome, only 5000 miles, new top end. For everyone of you guys posting with no problems there is another hog owner reading this and too proud/ashamed to reply with all of his issues.

Its totally cool to be proud of your brand or bike, but lets just be honest, Harley has put out some of the biggest Pieces of S**T on two wheels. Way overpriced pieces at that.

Most Honda street cruisers have more american parts on them than Harley. If you would pay more for a Harley than a VTX or Yamaha Road Warrior either you bought into the hype, or fell and hit your head. And when you wake up you got a bike with half the quality if your lucky. But hey... ITS A HARLEY!!!!

oldsandman
05-19-2006, 03:46 PM
He's not bashing just telling it like it is...

... but lets just be honest, Harley has put out some of the biggest Pieces of S**T on two wheels...

You can handle all the bashing on your own.:rolleyes:

I get it you don't like Harleys..."17,000 without a major failure...". "5,000 miles new top end...". I heard they deliver the bikes with a tow truck and a triple A card if you ever want to ride one...;)

Hon300ex
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
aceoutdoor answer me this. there are 3 reasons why police use harleys. name 2 of the reasons they use these "pos". i bet you cant. have you ever owned one? have you ever ridden one? have you maintaned one? have you ever priced one out? stop bashing something you have no clue about. just becuz your hill billy friend ruined his doesnt mean there bad.

05-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
aceoutdoor answer me this. there are 3 reasons why police use harleys. name 2 of the reasons they use these "pos". i bet you cant. have you ever owned one? have you ever ridden one? have you maintaned one? have you ever priced one out? stop bashing something you have no clue about. just becuz your hill billy friend ruined his doesnt mean there bad.

Police use it because Harley is American owned, same with cars(impalas,caprices, crown vics). You don't see them driving Toyota Camry's because they are Japanese(although this would save taxpayers money in the long run). Police are starting to use ST1300 and FJ1300 police units more now. Yes I have ridden quite a few Harley, have friends that own them(not hillbillies, ok maybe a little LOL), and everyone of them have broke, some on multiple occassions with repairs in the thousands, all under 20,000 miles and well maintained. I have worked on least a dozen harleys and LITERALLY hundreds of Jap and Euro bikes. I have worked at multiple multi line dealers and know motorcycles and atv's well value wise and mechanically. Look at most multiline dealers, some will service brands they don't even carry but most will not touch a harley period because they are junk and most hog owners have nasty attitudes. I knew I would get a rise out of a few people here, just havin fun!! I rarely take part in badmouthing and love this site for its content and members(Most of them). But when it comes to Harley's, I can't help myself.

Don't worry, if I see you guys broke on the shoulder I might still stop to help.

Hon300ex
05-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Police use it because Harley is American owned, same with cars(impalas,caprices, crown vics). You don't see them driving Toyota Camry's because they are Japanese(although this would save taxpayers money in the long run). Police are starting to use ST1300 and FJ1300 police units more now. Yes I have ridden quite a few Harley, have friends that own them(not hillbillies, ok maybe a little LOL), and everyone of them have broke, some on multiple occassions with repairs in the thousands, all under 20,000 miles and well maintained. I have worked on least a dozen harleys and LITERALLY hundreds of Jap and Euro bikes. I have worked at multiple multi line dealers and know motorcycles and atv's well value wise and mechanically. Look at most multiline dealers, some will service brands they don't even carry but most will not touch a harley period because they are junk and most hog owners have nasty attitudes. I knew I would get a rise out of a few people here, just havin fun!! I rarely take part in badmouthing and love this site for its content and members(Most of them). But when it comes to Harley's, I can't help myself.

Don't worry, if I see you guys broke on the shoulder I might still stop to help.

Police use harleys because they stay cool in traffic, they are RELIABE, and they can get them for cheaper prices then the average person. you are right about a lot of harley owners having bad attitudes, but they also just have a bad rep. i have been to the harley davidson factory in york, pa. and you should see how there parts are made. they have people and machines check each part to make sure its built correctly and they do have a section with parts made incorrectly. (mostly fenders and gas tanks that were machined right). i really dont understand how you can say they are unreliabe, but you seem to have facts that back it up. its your opinion i guess but i dont agree.:macho

<DRS>GPF
05-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
If you want raw stump pulling power you want a Triumph Rocket III.

2294cc - DOHC Inline3
140 bhp @ 6000rpm
147 ft-lbs @ 2400rpm

wow... what a hoss... :eek2:

nice set of pipes on that and youll break windshields in traffic..

JLanphear
05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
wow... what a hoss... :eek2:

nice set of pipes on that and youll break windshields in traffic..

speaking of rocket III's.....check out kyle woods....

http://superstreetbike.com/ssb_pow_apr_06_01z.jpg

05-19-2006, 06:36 PM
NICE!! Good to see Triumph back with a vengeance!!

Quadfather
05-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
How about ride what you like and don't bash others opinions;)

I am totally with that opinion, I don't care what others ride, as long as they enjoy their machine. I don't feel that I've bashed Harley in any of my posts, I just stated the simple facts.

If you want to see some brand bashing peoples, you better check with the majority of Harley owners. I go to a "Bike Nite" here locally every Wednesday night. Most of the Harley owners I encounter are straight out and out a-holes. They'll act like your buddy to the end until they catch wind that you ride a non Harley bike (in my case, a Honda), then I'm baraged with "rice rider", "non American" and on and on.

It cracks me up that on these bike nites that a lot of the Harley riders are adorned head to toe in Harley Davidson dew rags, Harley Jackets, Harley pants, Harley boots, and most likely, Harley underware. Then they go to pull out of the parking lot, and about wipe everyone within a square mile out because they can't even hardly ride the darn thing. These are people that got caught up in the "I want to be a rebel rider, I'm gonna get a Harley" mindset. They have no clue what riding is all about. They figure if they get a Harley, and all the garb that they think you should own in order to ride one, that every person that they meet in their daily life is gonna give them an automatic high five because they are sooooo cool. The whole scheme kinda reminds me of the Orange County Choppers phenomenon. You see kids in strollers with OCC crap on, you see young teen girls with OCC crap on. You see people walking around wearing OCC clothes that have probably never sat on a motorcycle. Harley and OCC both have marketed their product so well, just by beating it into peoples mind that their products are superior, that people are more than willing to pay more than the products worth just so, in their mind, they can be part of the "in" crowd.

<DRS>GPF
05-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
I am totally with that opinion, I don't care what others ride, as long as they enjoy their machine. I don't feel that I've bashed Harley in any of my posts, I just stated the simple facts.

If you want to see some brand bashing peoples, you better check with the majority of Harley owners. I go to a "Bike Nite" here locally every Wednesday night. Most of the Harley owners I encounter are straight out and out a-holes. They'll act like your buddy to the end until they catch wind that you ride a non Harley bike (in my case, a Honda), then I'm baraged with "rice rider", "non American" and on and on.

It cracks me up that on these bike nites that a lot of the Harley riders are adorned head to toe in Harley Davidson dew rags, Harley Jackets, Harley pants, Harley boots, and most likely, Harley underware. Then they go to pull out of the parking lot, and about wipe everyone within a square mile out because they can't even hardly ride the darn thing. These are people that got caught up in the "I want to be a rebel rider, I'm gonna get a Harley" mindset. They have no clue what riding is all about. They figure if they get a Harley, and all the garb that they think you should own in order to ride one, that every person that they meet in their daily life is gonna give them an automatic high five because they are sooooo cool. The whole scheme kinda reminds me of the Orange County Choppers phenomenon. You see kids in strollers with OCC crap on, you see young teen girls with OCC crap on. You see people walking around wearing OCC clothes that have probably never sat on a motorcycle. Harley and OCC both have marketed their product so well, just by beating it into peoples mind that their products are superior, that people are more than willing to pay more than the products worth just so, in their mind, they can be part of the "in" crowd.

similar things happen at all levels.. if you are riding a honda "Milwaukee" style cruiser and end up a a roundup with alot of golding owners ("goldy's or winger's" im told theyre called or call themselves), theyd typically treat you like trash.. age differences also play a hand..

the only time i seen all "walks" get along is on poker runs for charity.. everyone there has a different mindset to start. one that involves something bigger than pride.. those are cool..
if you get a chance, go on one.. youll make freinds youd never talk to otyherwise and maybe realize were not all that different.. well.. most of us anyway..:D

05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Do they make a Harley leather jacket that says "MY S**t DON'T STINK"?

OK I am done, I feel better now.

FHKracingZ
05-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Im not trying to get into this whole debate thing but i belive on pinks a old suzuki 750 straight out beat a Vrod and the Suzuki had a fat guy on it. Im not bashing harley in anyway just pointing out what i saw. I would put money that a CBR600 crotch rocket would rape a Vrod... People also need to relize , people dont buy harleys for reliablily and comfortablity they buy them for there sound and legacy. How many times has honda tried to make there bikes sound like harleys and failed. You buy a harley because its a HARLEY not a honda goldwing.