PDA

View Full Version : how to torque inner clutch basket?

atvmxr
05-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I guess I have forgotten the trick to hold the inner clutch basket still to torque the nut down. I remembered using a penny for the crank gear, but cant figure the basket out. any tips/tricks??

86 Quad R
05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
this is what i do......... take 1 steal and 1 clutch and insert them in place. take a large pair vise grips and clamp the two together. then while one person holds the vise grips and basket in place. have the other person torque the nut. preferably with an electric or air impact. ;)

wilkin250r
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
When I did my first clutch, I replaced with all new fibers and plates. So, I took a few old ones, drilled a couple holes in them and mounted them to a long piece of steel as an arm. This gave me something to not only hold them together, but also keep them from moving, and I didn't need the penny in the gears.

zedicus00
05-19-2006, 07:13 AM
i do the vice grip thing.... though im gunna say dont threadlock and impact the nut back on.... not everyone owns an impact, i just chisled one off and am gunna hafta get a new nut for the bottom end im rebuilding... besides the tabs on the lock washer that yur spose to bend up will keep it from coming loose.