PDA

View Full Version : Harsh Riding Fines? Post yours!

DieselBoy
05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm always worried sick about getting caught for riding in Ancaster where I usually go but it's way back from any main roads, and roads all together. Anyway, I've heard some nasty stories of people getting hardcore fines on the spot and was just wondering what type of fines that any of you may have had, or have heard about. This is just curiosity...

Begin!.....

Honda400exrox
05-17-2006, 04:58 PM
my friend got caught by cops riding kodiak 400's, he got a $140 fine for riding on private property

ELewandowski
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I havn't got any fines yet riding near my property in Waters, MI, but I'm sure i will one day, they are all old unused logging roads that never see any trucks or other atv traffic, but knowing my luck, DNR will drive down there one day while im riding. It's still owned by a natural Gas company though, so I'm not sure if DNR will ever go back there anyway.

DieselBoy
05-17-2006, 05:41 PM
from what I understand they want you to have liability insurance, or else, the fine becomes much higher.

fast_enough
05-17-2006, 07:27 PM
My buddy got caught on the road not long ago on his Z and the fines were $210, and it got impounded and he had a $40 impound fee. But we got it out the same night and went riding lol

05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
from what I understand they want you to have liability insurance, or else, the fine becomes much higher.

were you in ontario? Im near London, we go down main hiways, goign down the 401 for couple miles woudent flintch my friend.

DieselBoy
05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
hamilton area here... you ever buy from snow line sports?

Quad18star
05-17-2006, 07:40 PM

By law , here in Ontario we must have PL PD ,which is Public Liability and Property Damage, on any motorized vehicle . Basically the insurance covers you if you get into an accident and hurt someone . It won't cover the damage to your vehicle , but it will cover the other person . If you were to get into an accident and were to get sued , your insurance can be sued for up to a million dollars ( normal PL/PD coverage) .

Unless you are riding on private property or in an area that has a by-law prohibiting the use of ATVs , you are allowed to use your ATV on public land and allowed to cross non 400-series highways ( or devided higways) . You are also allowed to drive your ATV on the shoulder of the road at half the posted speed limit , as long as the posted is no more than 80 KM/H , and can prove you are going from 1 trail/area to another and that this is your only route available . It's a " NEW" Law in Ontario that came out last year or the year before . You can look it up on the Ontario Government website .

No stories to report on my end!!! ( touch wood)

05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
My dad dose for his sled.

DieselBoy
05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Greg, do you have insurance on your quad?

if so, how much do you pay?

It doesn't make sense to me because I never see quads/dirtbikes with insurance on them around here...

Quad18star
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Greg, do you have insurance on your quad?

if so, how much do you pay?

It doesn't make sense to me because I never see quads/dirtbikes with insurance on them around here...

Ya man I got insurance ... I'd never go without it .

I pay $300 a year to have my bike insured up to $11 000 .... which covers me for PL/PD , Fire and Theft .

Trust me man ..... insurance is worth it . I'm sure you heard or seen pictures from when the kid on a dirtbike nailed me . He had no insurance , so my insurance has covered all my medical expenses and all my lost wages and stuff for the last 2 years .

I wouldn't want to be in the kid or his parents shoes right now . They are in pretty deep trouble .... in fact I get to meet with them face to face next week ..... in front of a judge and with my lawyers that is . They'll have wished they had paid a couple hundred dollars a year for insurance on the dirtbike .

1fst400
05-17-2006, 08:16 PM
I got 25 hrs of comunity servace for attempting to elude a oficer.

DOHC
05-17-2006, 08:26 PM
My fine last year was 7000 on my crf 250 cause i didnt have insurance or anything but luckly he let me off the hook :cool:

Quad18star
05-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by DOHC
My fine last year was 7000 on my crf 250 cause i didnt have insurance or anything but luckly he let me off the hook :cool:

LOL . When I was 14 , my dad was teaching me how to drive his truck out on an old logging road and gues who decides to roll up and stop us ??? The MNR and an OPP officer .

He asks for my license ... I say I don't have one ... asks for my dad's license and insurance papers .... comes back 25 minutes later and tells my dad it's a $5000 and a trip to court in Chapleau BUT that he'll let us off this time cuz my dad explained that he was just teaching me how to drive out in the bush . The cop understood ( young cop maybe 25 years old) but told us to practice in a vacant parking lot or on private property since they have no authority in those areas .

He informed us , that even an old logging road is considered a " King's Highway" ( like all other highways and roads in Ontario) and that he could have fined us if he really wanted to . I watched my dad's face go from an " Oh F**k this is going to cost me a fortune" to " Thank You God " in a matter of minutes .

onefast400ex
05-17-2006, 09:47 PM
My friend got caught and got a fine for $984.50 but, went to court and got it down to $91 and 1 year suspended license.

JOEX
05-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I've never received a fine for riding:confused:

DieselBoy
05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
7000 is STEEP! DOHC, do you have insurance now?

And Greg, I've never seen your accident pictures. Do you still have them? I dont ride anywhere exposed so I don't know, I want to have insurance, i'm going to price it out...

LT250RMan
05-17-2006, 11:26 PM
i was riding our work quad(1993 bayou 300) down the hiway and got caught with no insurance and registration and it got impounded it cost me $1100

DOHC
05-18-2006, 02:13 PM

And Greg, I've never seen your accident pictures. Do you still have them? I dont ride anywhere exposed so I don't know, I want to have insurance, i'm going to price it out...
yea thats why i sold my bike to insure my crf 250 was close to 1000 a year :eek2: thats why i switched to quads plus on quads u can get em plated also

DieselBoy
05-18-2006, 02:18 PM
how much do you pay on your quad DOHC? man those are hefty fines...

DOHC
05-18-2006, 03:25 PM
how much do you pay on your quad DOHC? man those are hefty fines...
not exactly sure but not even as close as my crf250

tar
05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
My cousin was at Little Sahara for his first time and we were coming back to camp when he gets the front tires like a foot off the ground. Then he gets in the ice chest and pulls out a beer (he was only 20). Then the park ranger pulls up and asks for ID and all that. He wanted to dump my dads ice chest out but dad was like hell no so he just gave my cousin like a $200 ticket. Thats when he decided it was time for him to go home but on the way home he was doing like 80mph and got pulled over and got another fairly expensive ticket. Since then he hasnt been back. I thought it was kinda funny though.

05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
i got caught rifing o nthe road doing the speed limit and wearing a helmet..blah blah blah, was cool wit hthe officer. he wrote me for $700 ticket. I was freaking out for a month and when I went to court he never showed so all charges were dropped. I think he was just trying to teach me a lesson. I was 15 at the time so i think i could have lost my drivers license until I was 18

DieselBoy
05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
what ever happened to giving warnings? GOD

05-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I hear all these atvs gettin caught and fined, and impounded.. I would never allow my atv to get caught a cop can not catch you on ur atv.. its called narrow spaces where a cop car cant go and you can.. Me and 3 freinds were up for a little ride on the main highway after school our sophmore year.. It was the last day of school and we parked our atvs about 100 yards away from school and we kept them in our freinds garage and we walked to his house and got them and rode down main street and had 3 cops chasin us for 2 hours.. no way 3 cop cars can get to us, we had my 450R, 2 KFX400, and a YFZ450... The cops were whipin around turns while we would ride through yards, w finally got on a chip and seal road and got all 4 quads in a line and went over the road and into a feild and we got away and we even went out that night for a 2nd time and then we figured out the cops figured out who we where.. and the cops threatened to fine each of us for 950.00.... and we all have 2 atvs and our atvs we ran from cops with was still at freinds garage so we showed them we didnt have those atv's.. :p

Quad18star
05-18-2006, 07:15 PM

Here ya go man ...... 19 pages all about it . Be warned , if you got a weak stomach , some of the pictures might turn it upside-down .

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122775&highlight=Warning+graphic+images

onefast400ex
05-18-2006, 09:13 PM
My friend got chased on his drz125 and got caught. The cops surrounded him on their yzf426s, sirens and all were going. They gave him a bunch of fines that totaled up to almost $1000. His court date was May 12, 2006. They dropped the fines to $91 and 1 year suspended license. They could auction his bike off two weeks after the court date, if he didnt go or didnt pay the fines. He paid them up front and they gave him a receipt that he paid his fines and to go pick up his bike. He went to a district station that he was told and they didnt have it and they led him to another and they didnt have it. They finally told him to go to the impound lot and they looked it up and it was auctioned and sold April 11,2006, two weeks after he got caught. I dont know how he got caught hes been chased with me so many times and we always got away. I got away with a beartracker w/ 2 people, kx100, jincheng 100, blaster. They were supposed to give him a tow receipt for where it is. They suck ***. They cant catch the murders but, they can catch the dirtbike riders.

JOEX
05-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Don't ride illegally and there wont be a problem.

CASE CLOSED:rolleyes: