PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl plotter/cutter

JLanphear
05-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Shot in the dark posting this on here but typically there is an expert in almost any topic you can think of somewhere on this forum.

Anybody have any suggestions on places where I could pick up a vinyl plotter? I have checked ebay and found some 24" plotters for $499 + $75 shipping. Obviously they aren't the best on the market, but I'm not looking at buying one for business purposes so the amount of use it will get will be minimal basically.

Just wondering if anybody else had any suggestion on places that I could look?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Josh

mudboggin
05-17-2006, 08:06 AM
I bought mine from www.signwarehouse.com I have had great service from them.

ballisticpb
05-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by mudboggin
I bought mine from www.signwarehouse.com I have had great service from them.

bought mine from the same place...i just bought a cutter.... Roland is one of the best home/small business cutters on the market.

JLanphear
05-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys.

My buddy has a Roland that he was going to sell to me as he is planning an upgrade, but now he might not.

I was thinking of getting a cheaper one as I probably will not use it very often.

I'm thinking that I want a 24", but a 15" might be enough...not sure.

ballisticpb
05-17-2006, 08:47 AM
are you looking at a cutter or printer/cutter?

i have the roland stika sx15 and it has been able to cut any thing i need so far.... widest cut point is 14" but you can cut up to three feet long.. we use ours for logo cutting and window stickers.. have yet to find anything needed that is too big to cut on our cutter

JLanphear
05-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
are you looking at a cutter or printer/cutter?

i have the roland stika sx15 and it has been able to cut any thing i need so far.... widest cut point is 14" but you can cut up to three feet long.. we use ours for logo cutting and window stickers.. have yet to find anything needed that is too big to cut on our cutter

Just a cutter. something cheap...just for fun.

The ones on ebay for $499 are roland clones basically (from what I have heard), but of course that doesn't say anything as far as quality goes.

At this point I can't see needing wider than 14", but I'm not sure if I would in the future. Some of the rear window graphics I have had done in the past have been wider than that.

SwainRacing
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
I got my 24" cutter from sign warehouse.com also a few years ago. Just be carefull. You need Software to use the cutter too. The software is the expensive part. Just make sure you are getting software with it. Depending on what you are using it for I would not go any smaller than the 24". If it is for personal use to do small decals than a smaller one will do.