PDA

View Full Version : question about 440ex????

john.E.business
05-16-2006, 08:55 PM
My buddy is looking to buy a quad and there is a guy selling a 440ex... says there is 5 hrs on the new top end.. im just wondering if there are any concerns he should have or look for with buying this bike?oh yea and it's a 2002...any comments suggestions would be great..

05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
need more details.. about this 440ex.. and has ur freind ever owned a atv or if so what??

john.E.business
05-16-2006, 09:04 PM
No he has not thus he has called me and asked me to help him out abit...but i myself don't know to much about quads other then 450's abit... so i was just curious about maybe some things to look for or ask about?

05-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I would learn to ride a quad exactly how I learned.. I started when I was 5 with a TRX90 and had my wrecks and bruises and when I was ready i got a bike a little bigger, so I went from a TRX90 to a 250EX, to a 300EX to a 350 Raptor, to a 400EX, to a Suzuki Z400, to a KFX400 then now am with a 450R... but I doubt he wants to ride a TRX90...lol..:rolleyes: .. I would not get a 400ex however.. my dad taught me to ride quads safely and smart.. I totalled my 250EX because he wanted to get me a old quad on my 10th birthday that I could just go do stupid stuff with and have fun on, then the 300ex I got a little more responsible and smart with quad and then I got in the high dollar atvs such as Z400, and KFX.. and now I know how to handle power and do all kinds of stuff... I would start with a 250EX and keep it to just do stupid stuff with for 1 year or so and then get into the big bikez!!

john.E.business
05-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Well i dunno like i definetly understand where your coming form but i can't relate cause my first bike was a 450r and i just eased myself into learning how to control it's power and stuff... although it does hurt to see it roll down hills and flip on occasion lol... but i think this will be a good quad for him i just want to know if it will be reliable..

05-16-2006, 09:30 PM
reliable is hondas middle name!!:p

john.E.business
05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Yea thats what i told him i was just more curious to if the 440 kit will hurt life longevity or reliability?

boricua
05-16-2006, 09:41 PM
as to your original question........

you might want to inquire about that rebuild the seller is talking about.....like what was rebuilt, were the clyinder/head studs replaced with oversized ones, kind of head gasket used, compression ratio(ask if it runs on pump gas, and how it runs on that gas) look for any signs of oil leaking between head or cylinder base. brand of piston/cylinder used.......

then get back to use with that info and some of us can let you know how good/ reliable the motor is.

keep in mind, when you modify engines and engine, its reliability is slightly altered......how altered depends on the mods - among other things.

krt400ex
05-17-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by john.E.business
No he has not thus he has called me and asked me to help him out abit...but i myself don't know to much about quads other then 450's abit... so i was just curious about maybe some things to look for or ask about?

I started on a 300EX, but I started on a RM250 before that. he can just ease himself into it, but I would recomend starting with a stock 400EX first. Then in a couple of years when it needs a rebuild, just bore it to a 440EX. I Know that when I went from a 300EX, the 400EX was alot of bike to handle. now I'm used to it and think that it's a great middle of the road machine. Besides they're super reliable. It is a Honda you know.

05-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda's are reliable but a 440 big bore is not.. keep that in my mind... I dont think a 400ex is a good beginner bike to learn from, but hey hes prolly at the age where if he doesent have speed right away he wont ever have any at all..

krt400ex
05-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by evileyesracing
Honda's are reliable but a 440 big bore is not.. keep that in my mind... I dont think a 400ex is a good beginner bike to learn from, but hey hes prolly at the age where if he doesent have speed right away he wont ever have any at all..

I was at my local performance shop today, and he told me that the 440EX is reliable. he's built 5 of them and only one blew up. and that blew up because the owner of the bike redid the valves and valve guides and didn't leave enough valve guide clearance to compensate for expansion from engine heat. the engine got hot and the valve siezed to the guide. the piston came up and the stuck valve punched a hole through it. there are reliable if the guy that builds it knows what he's doing.

4fifty
05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
440's can be reliable. if they are built right. most of the time they prolly arent though. i have a 02 440 with 11;1 compression. and all done up with roll design. only the frame is stock. its a torque monster. also a 400ex is a good beginner bike. for someone that is an adult not a 6 year old. it is a good bike to build up someones confidence. ive been riding for 17 years and ive ridden with new people and teach them. they do fine. if they have a reliable bike and someone to show them the way. it dont have too much power but has enough to take them almost anywhere. biggest complaint is blown head gaskets due to studs pulling through because of extra heat. easlily fixed by a stud kit and new gaskets and a good mechanic. my 440 runs great and is for sale too. dont be scared. and they are simple to work on.

04 sparks yfz
02 sparks, roll design 440ex for sale
02 lrd 416 ex just sold
02 sparks 400ex wifes
88 lrd 250R sold
all sold for reasons other than reliability. like my new daughter and yfz