PDA

View Full Version : Better info on the new Z400

knighttime
10-08-2001, 09:47 AM
check out: http://www.atvillustrated.com/industry_news/suzuki/03models/z400/pressrelease.html

10-08-2001, 12:52 PM
Honestly it's not a bad looking quad can't wait to see one in person,,,or even ride one,,,but hell I ain't even rode a rapturd yet.

10-08-2001, 01:15 PM
Raptor copier..... Narrow rear end ...... same tires.......same fenders. Can't they come up with something of their own

trx400ex
10-08-2001, 03:11 PM
i think thats the gayest quad ive ever seen in my life, just an opinion

Nausty
10-08-2001, 03:27 PM
It looks like all they did was copy everyone else. Everything looks like it was either off from the raptor or 400ex. I mean come on spend a little more money on r&d and be a little innotive. Its nice but it looks like is all they did was copy everyone else and just add their little change to it. I mean look at the parking brake is all they did was change which way it moves. The handlebar thing looks the same. raptor plastic, 400ex frame with their own probably useless touch but then they won't have to wory about patents or anything, the only thing good about is the motor and it is probably about the same detuned so bad that it will be the same as a 400ex oh yeah it looks like it has the same tires, light, heel kicks, rims, hub color, and bumber of the 400ex, pipe and even the bumper.

EXtreme-
10-08-2001, 08:25 PM
They've always been known for their cheesy frames and weak swingarms which crack on almost every machine...looks like this new one is following suit. I'm scared just looking at the quality of it...let alone putting it to the test.

On the other hand...the displacement is 11.3:1....pretty impressive! She might be a runner!

Guy400
10-09-2001, 04:50 AM
What makes you think this frame is cheezy and weak? We won't know until after some test rides how the bike actually performs. We've already established that's the frame is very similar to the 400EX/250R and look at that swingarm! They boxed it in. That's one of the best things you could do to increase strength. Look at lower control arms on rear wheel drive cars. From the factory they come as stamped units that look very much like upside down C-channel. First thing drag racers do is box the LCA's (lower control arms). Makes even the stamped factory pieces incredibly strong.

One thing that does disappoint me is that they used their old bearing carrier/chain adjustment setup. That was the worst on the market.

Nausty
10-09-2001, 09:28 AM
wow that swing arm looks indestructable

MOFO
10-09-2001, 10:01 AM
Extreme-

I think you meant to say a "compression" of 11.3:1. ;) That is very impressive!! You will have to run 92+ in this puppy at all times...

Eric

knighttime
10-09-2001, 11:35 AM
Who's gonna buy one?

Guy400
10-09-2001, 12:03 PM
Possibly me if the reliability proves to be there.

knighttime
10-09-2001, 12:17 PM
Guy, your a zuk man, so i say go balls out and buy the first one available. It looks like it will be a good runner. I'd get one, but I like my modded 400ex too much.:cool:

Guy400
10-09-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
Guy, your a zuk man, so i say go balls out and buy the first one availableYeah, right. You want me to get stuck with another "Raptor" tranny don't ya! That'll be real sweet if the tranny sucks in this bike too. I can just hear all the EXrider comments about "First you bought the Raptor and now you bought the Z400. You must not like solid transmissions..."

I'm going to give it 3 or 4 months of other people beating on it and then I'll make my decisions. With friends like you who needs enemies?:D

10-09-2001, 12:27 PM
I've already got one in the garage......:D Waiting till spring to test it out,,,I'll give a report on it in march..:D :D

Guy400
10-09-2001, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I've already got one in the garage......:How far are you from Massillon,OH? I can make it to Columbus in about 2 hr and 45 minutes. We'll test it together to get a true unbiased opinion. One from a present Honda man and one from a present Yamaha man:D

knighttime
10-09-2001, 12:33 PM
Yeah but Guy, lightning never strikes twice, does it? Plus when they sell the first wave of Z400's, im guessin they will be hard to find.

Im lookin in my crystal ball and I can c your future exriders name:

GuyZ400

(I dont think Rico is gonna ride his new z400 until the spring.)

stocktires
10-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Good one rico..... not! Its a 2003 model guy! I cant wait to get one, but suzuki better do a little better on a couple things! personaly i kinda like the plastic, i dont luv it, but i also like the cannondale plastic! I'd look good after i cut em! But plastic has hardly anything to do with performance (aerodynamic) so i dont really care bout it. I was really wanting a 400ex but its air-cooled and a bit slow for the nationals which i'll be racin in 1 1/2 yrs (hopefully). But im w/ guy, im gonna wait a couple of months and see what its like and what the mags say!

Guy400
10-09-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
Yeah but Guy, lightning never strikes twice, does it? Plus when they sell the first wave of Z400's, im guessin they will be hard to find.

Im lookin in my crystal ball and I can c your future exriders name:

GuyZ400

(I dont think Rico is gonna ride his new z400 until the spring.) You wanna see my *** getted shocked, don't ya!!! As far as their availability, patience is a virtue.

If I change my screenname then I'll lose my post count. How am I gonna keep up with Nausty if I throw my almost 400 posts out? Maybe I can talk to Leo about it:)

But in all honesty, about the transmission reliability. If EVERY quad manufacturer doesn't look at the '01 Raptor's and learn from Yammy's mistakes they're stupid. A transmission problem better never occur like that again, for anyone. And if it does, it better not gte swept under the rug like Yammy did. After this incident it's going to make it real difficult for my to ever buy a Yamaha motor product again. It's too bad to because I had friend with a Blaster and at least 6 other guys with Warrior's that never had a lick of problems with them.

Tommy 17
10-09-2001, 01:56 PM
Rico and Guy i piddy that dam quad after the to of u get done beating the ballz off it, i honestly don't care for the new suzuki i never really like the reliablity of the rms that all my friends had. i am not saying that this things gonna be a piece of **** i don't want that thrown on me but i hope suzuki finally got there heads in gear and designed sumtin good.

EXtreme-
10-09-2001, 06:45 PM
VW, thanks for the grammer lesson....compression was the intended word of the day :) I still think this engine will rip...time will tell.

Guy, I know I'm jumping the gun on the frame and swing, but do to my past experiences with LT's....they've all gone down with the ship....both frame cracks and swingarm cracks. Then again...that was 10 to 15 years ago and this is 2001. Surely they have done their homework. I still think the overall look of the new swing is cheesy/inexpensive. It's nice and shiny...but don't judge a bood by it's cover. (not starting a war)

Guy400
10-09-2001, 09:39 PM
I've owned 3 LT250R's and 2 LT230S's and never had a frame or swingarm crack. Let's face it, if you beat on ANY stock quad hard enough things will start breaking. I don't really pay much attention as to whether the swingarm looks cheesy/inexpensive. I'm more interested in how it's constructed. As I stated earlier in this thread, they've boxed the entire swingarm and for anyone that's been around metal channeling they'll tell you that boxing it in greatly increases it's strength. Look at drag racers racing in the more stock classes. They take factory c-channel LCA's (Lower control arms) and weld a plate over the bottom of them. They box their LCA's making them damn near as strong as aftermarket pieces. If you were to take a regular Honda or Suzuki swingarm and box it you'd increase it's strength tremendously, that looks like what Suzuki did.

I know you're not trying to start a war and neither am I:)

Warrioreater400ex
10-10-2001, 10:55 AM
yeah i do feel sorry for that new quad gettin ridden by guy and rico..... get the tires ridden off of it in 4 hours..... it wont surprise me if it falls apart (not cuz of the quad... cuz of the riders) hahah just kiddin, im not either way, im just anxious to see what the first 4 wheeler maker pulls out of its sleeve this time, i think it will be a nice quad, but not some amazing revolutionizing quad...

Guy400
10-10-2001, 11:04 AM
I don't think it's going to revolutionize the market either. I think we're all in agreement that the engine is going to put out more power in stock form than the 400EX so if they can develop a chassis that handles as well and offers Honda like reliability than I'd call it a success for their first attempt back.

RideRed04
10-10-2001, 05:10 PM
Just think if they would have released this baby just 4 short years ago! I remember the day the 400ex came out, all I could think was I gotta have one!

400exRacerX
10-13-2001, 02:37 PM
that swingarm isnt indestructable, give it time and a good beating and it will break.

RideRed04
10-13-2001, 04:47 PM
same goes for everything mechanical.

10-17-2001, 03:44 PM
im gettin one! i like my honda but i want reverse and my old suzuki held up very good after all i did to it!

10-18-2001, 01:28 PM
I got my second suzuki today,,,woo hooo,,it's in the garage next to the 1st one I got last week,,,can't wait till spring..