PDA

View Full Version : Skidplate Suggestions?

PolarisRider
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, the first thing im doing to my 300 is getting some skids. Mainly because the engine skid is plastic. But i'm torn between Armidillo and Pro-armor. Does anyone have experiences with either? Any others you recommend?

Thanks,
PR

JW450R1
05-16-2006, 06:25 PM
not really.i'm sure there ok.i really like prm.there a great company too.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-17-2006, 08:12 AM
I would recommend PRM

300ex mxracer
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
i run an armidillo swinger skid and a custom body skid. works great

quadrider400
05-18-2006, 08:53 PM
I would be careful of PRM I got a terrible fit on an LT 250 several years ago... I had to modify them myself to fit.... :eek: Biggest problem was A-arm guards hitting skid plate that covered the engine area...

Called PRM sent pics and they would not do anything about it...:eek2:

Told them I would .. :devil: I continue to mention there poor service and products every chance I get...

400exyzkiller
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
PRM is the best you can buy and get more ground clearnce from the swingarm skid

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 12:58 AM
I would also say PRM. I have their .190" swingarm skid on my 400EX and I love it. I never hear anything bad about PRM (except for the guy above).

PolarisRider
05-19-2006, 04:39 AM
So basically, the more money you shell out, the better they will be? I geuss you get what you pay for.

05-19-2006, 05:27 AM
the swinger skid is the most important...as long as you go witha .250, you should be ok. i rana an armadillo on my 300ex for years and it never bent at all...i have on on my 400ex right now and it has taken a lot of abuse with no problems. i got a prm on the 06 450r because i was not sure if the armadillos were changed to fit the new 06 yet, and they already had a cut-out for aftermarket linkages(no linkage on a 300ex so you don't need to worry about that).

so far, the slightly cheaper armadillos have held up just as well as the prm, but the prm has not been "tested" yet like the 'dillo's have.

as for chassis plates/engine guards, a .190 should do. the 300ex had an mmf on it( i think they became prm) and the 400ex has a ricochet. there will be a prm on the 450r-father's day gift-they are the only company that has updated their plates for the '06 450r's...that i know of

KingpinsEx
05-24-2006, 08:22 PM
It's funny i have never heard of anything really bad about Pro Armor either but i ran into one myself. I order a full body skid about a week ago went to put it on just the other day and it would not mount up! The skid was not designed to fit a quad with nerf bars, can you believe it...So i called up motosport and they said they have never had a problem with them not fitting, but would refund my money if i could not get it on there. They recommonded taking off the bars and bumper then trying. Well luckily i did a little research and found on Pro Armors website that for some reason they offer 2 models of body skids, one designed for nerfs and one designed w/o. Funny motosport didn't mention that. So BEWARE of anyone thinking of ordering 400ex fullbody skids from them, check there website and make sure you get the proper part #. I would go with the nerf bend either way, incase down the road you decide to put some on. But after reading all the good responses from the PRM skids im thinking of refunding the Pro Armor for one of theirs. It would go good with my PRM bumper :D

KingpinsEx
05-29-2006, 10:25 AM
I hate to report this but i have run into more problems with pro armor skid plates. My sister ordered a body skid from them as well a few weeks after mine and we went to bolt it on today and it don't fit! Were the tounge comes out in the front there is a slight bend from the undercarrage (on the frame) and the plate is just straight. It needs to be bent in order to properly seat on the frame. Seems like a poor design to me...espically for something that supposedly "bolts" on. I might as well build my own if i have to customize it anyway. We are gonna get ahold of pro armor after the holiday weekend and hopefully get this straightened out.

JW450R1
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM
i have prm and love it.full body and rear swinger too.

sean94z
06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
I have pro armor a-arms, body and swingarm skids. Swinger is a .250 and holds up to the massive abuse I put it through (lots of rocks). I have hit bolders with that thing and it still holds up great. Best investment ever because if I didnt have it, my rear disk brake and sprocket would probably be destroyed.

Oh all my skids bolted up easy, no problems. Kingpin I think you got the old style. My body skid has room for nerfs.

395Rider
11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
When you get a new skid plate, make sure it has the plastic that the chain rides on. I have an aftermarket plate and my chain bangs the crap out of it. I tried screwing some plastic(for the bottom area of wall that protects from water leakage) and it came off after a few rides. The scews ends sticking out of the bottom would spark on rocks! I will try to find some thicker plastic and use a different type of application. Good luck!

gotwarrior
11-30-2006, 05:25 AM
I would go with the Pro Armor. Just because I know people that have them and I have seen how they stand up to a beatting!!!

nater344
12-01-2006, 06:38 AM
I agree with gotwarrior. Pro Armor skids can take a beating! I have Pro Armor skids on my 450R and they take some massive abuse from the rocky trails that I ride on. I've had no problems with the fit or finish and highly recommend them.

procircuit406ex
12-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I would recommend PRM

Yep thats what I'd go with but I like my DG bajas too.

cramer24
12-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Try this new company. www.metalmasterfabrication.com
They have great skids and really good prices.

"THE ShoP"
12-09-2006, 11:27 PM
from experiance prm is junk my buddies bent an broke every piece of prm product he's ever got go with the Armidillo's i had them since i got my quad an never had to replace them yet, the swingarm skid is so strong i basicly grind rocks an other sh%t an never bend it an it had decent groung clearence, great fitment an even a plastic chain slider on it so you don't get the sound of you chain hitting it

JW450R1
12-10-2006, 03:52 AM
wow,i've had prm since day 1 of my 450r and i've bounced off of a lot of rocks and it's still holding up great.i have nothing but good things to say about prm products.my rear swinger skid is a .250.

stuntman_12
12-15-2006, 09:46 AM
I have a "Caution slow children at Play" sign stuck to the bottom of my 416.... it's fin funny when i ride a wheelie and it protects the bottom..

the*ovenman
12-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I just installed a PRM skid plate last night and it was a peice of cake. It looks good and fit great so thats what I would go with

300ex mxracer
12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by stuntman_12
I have a "Caution slow children at Play" sign stuck to the bottom of my 416.... it's fin funny when i ride a wheelie and it protects the bottom..

lmao

m.h.s.c.#527
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
ac stinks it broke quick DG all the way

y3llow400ex
01-15-2007, 12:00 AM
my dg baja swinger has the worst ground clearence ever. its pretty much the only reason i ever get stuck and its a piece of crap, its bent to hell and back and its maybe 4 months old with a total of 5 good rides on it.

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 300ex mxracer
i run an armidillo swinger skid and a custom body skid. works great

I have the whole Armadillo setup and love it. No problems whatsoever, better prices too.

HondaEXrider22
01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
I've had an Armadillo on for about 1 month and havent had any problems.

Eviltanker
01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
I've got full ProArmor skids on for six months now and no problems They also bolted up with no problems with nerfs already on. Bashed the crap out of them on the great rock crawls that PA calls trails and have bent nothing. So for My .02 I am going to say ProArmor will take what you can give it.

450ERRRRRR!
01-16-2007, 07:09 AM
You cant go wrong with either Pro armor or PRM. I've got a full set of Proarmor on the 450R and a full set of PRM on my new Z400. Both are first class stuff. No problems bolting either of them to the quad. I do like my new PRM six pack rack.