View Full Version : Cheap Power

krt400ex
05-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Whats the easiest, cheapest way to get more power from my 400EX without the reliability going way down. Don't have money for exhaust. Need some backyard tuner tips.

psycafunkapus
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
all i could think of is advancing the timing and removing the choke....but if i think of anymore ill be sure to post more....plus i wana see what other ppl think

PismoLocal
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
air filter, jet kit, gearing, cdi, and advance timing.

dragracer101
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
kn air filter,power lid,sproket

xc416ex
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Theres alot of ways to improve your bike for under 200 bucks if thats what your willing to spend. You won't feel an air filter or pipe because your engine and carb are already moving almost as much air/fuel as they can. I'd start with a high compression piston. If you do the work yourself you can get away with about 120 bucks. outside of that a race cam (perferably hot cam because they are not welded and grided stock cams) runs 150. eigther of those or both while the engine is apart will be noticable. also you can add a cdi box or advance your timing at the flywheel. a cdi box will advance your ignition and remove your rev limiter, they run about 100 bucks. i run advance timing at the flywheel because they engine peaks horse power at the stock rev limiter anyway and it only costs about 25 bucks. you can get a flywheel advance key from curtis sparks racing or i had the timing index on my flywheel ground off and advance forward on the flywheel. the keys are notorious for breaking in high reving situations. but don't try to run both a cdi box and flywheel advance or your ignition will be to far advance and won't run. also with advanced timing you will run a touch hotter than before so be ready.

miller821
05-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
air filter, jet kit, gearing, cdi, and advance timing.
Yep, all those especially gearing.

05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
If you want a bike that will just do some backyard stuff I'm guessing u like some wheelies, so the gearing should be changed... so I would so gearing, sparks advance time key, pro design air intake, and a new tusk clutch kit with heavy duty springs..

dynofox
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Anyone gear their stock 400 up for higher top speed? I was thinking about going up a few teeth in the rear but am not sure if my 100% stock motor will pull it. I'm sick of being passed on the long straights by the big bore 4x4's! :o

krt400ex
05-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by dynofox
Anyone gear their stock 400 up for higher top speed? I was thinking about going up a few teeth in the rear but am not sure if my 100% stock motor will pull it. I'm sick of being passed on the long straights by the big bore 4x4's! :o

There are times on my stocker that I wish it had a sixth gear. I know that it could pull it, but i'm not sure it could pull taller gearing through every gear. Also, fi you want more top speed, then you don't want to add teeth to the rear sprocket, you want to take them off. add teeth to the front sprocket take them off the rear sprocket. simply adding a pipe would give you enough power to pull taller gearing. So experiment and find out.

underpowered
05-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by xc416ex
Theres alot of ways to improve your bike for under 200 bucks if thats what your willing to spend. You won't feel an air filter or pipe because your engine and carb are already moving almost as much air/fuel as they can. I'd start with a high compression piston. If you do the work yourself you can get away with about 120 bucks. outside of that a race cam (perferably hot cam because they are not welded and grided stock cams) runs 150. eigther of those or both while the engine is apart will be noticable. .

WHAT? i would never run a high comp piston and agressive cam through the stock pipe. what are you talking about not being able to feel a pipe or air filter? since when? a pipe or performance air fiilter will make a difference on even a stock bike. if they didnt make a difference, why are there so many companies making them?

i say timing advance key, remove choke, good air filter, Re-jet, or get a used pipe all of which will make a slight gain, some more noticaable than others.

gearing will not give you more power, just the illusion of it by making it accelerate faster or slower and increasing or decreasing your top speed in each gear.