PDA

View Full Version : shocks

nicktrx400ex
05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
whats the biggest size shock you can get for a 400ex and a 20 in would be perfect and why makes it.

TBD
05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by nicktrx400ex
whats the biggest size shock you can get for a 400ex and a 20 in would be perfect and why makes it.
20" shocks won't fit on a 400EX unless the arms that you buy are made for a 20" shock. I'm not sure why the length of the shock would matter. If you wanted you could have someone build you arms for just about any length but that wouldn't insure a killer ride. If you're talking about stock arms then you would never be able to run a 20" shock so that must mean that you are going to run a aftermarket set of arms so in that case you would run the shock length that the arms are made for.

nicktrx400ex
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
well im going to cutom make some a-arms, so ill need good length shocks.

TBD
05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
well im going to cutom make some a-arms, so ill need good length shocks.
Since you're going to custom make the arms then you obviuoslly know some geometry so I would assume that you understand that it's not so much the length of the shock as it is where you place the shock on the arm, right? I'm messing with you of course but if you really want to design your own arms why don't you learn the math and principals of designing arms and determining the correct shock placement and length.

nicktrx400ex
05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
well i under stand that but where im going to put the shock needs to be about 20in from mount to mount i might have measeued wrong but im talking mount to mount not spring length probly 18in shock for spring but its gona be either long travel or ill just stick with stock suspention.

TBD
05-16-2006, 05:41 PM
well i under stand that but where im going to put the shock needs to be about 20in from mount to mount i might have measeued wrong but im talking mount to mount not spring length probly 18in shock for spring but its gona be either long travel or ill just stick with stock suspention.
I get the feeling you're not understanding where I was going with my post. You could simply do as you're doing and just eyeball the shock mount for that length shock but there is so much more to it. What about leverage ratios, motion ratios and leverage curves. What about your shock shaft travel so that the quad doesn't end up with under ground travel. What about the ball joint misalignments so that you place the travel in the correct place. What I'm getting at is that there is a lot of design work that goes on when building a-arms and you're going at it the wrong way if you just figure the longest shock that you could make fit will make the quad better. I'm not trying to be mean but I see a lot of post like this and have to wonder why I spent the last twenty years doing it with formulas to figure out the geometry.

nicktrx400ex
05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
so i need to just figure in how much leverage im gona need and how wide there gona be and where all the balljoints are going to ngo and at what angle
so far i have figured im going to make +2 a-arms and using the stock arms figure how much more thats adding and also figure where to mount the shock which im thinking about half way on the arm but about a in lowere on the arm. them get hiems to put on the arms so far that what i got still got to see which way im going to make the arms im thinking just bend one tube and weld it to some mounts or bend two pieces that conect to the heim mount im still in the planing stages just asking alot of q's right now.