View Full Version : long travel a-arms

nicktrx400ex
05-16-2006, 01:07 PM
can you use your stock suspention on a long travel a-arm for a while with out any thing bad happening?

PismoLocal
05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Most likely not. I mean you could ride it like that but i wouldnt suggest leaving 1st gear. :blah:

boricua
05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
on first thought....yeah. you wont get full travel. the quad will sit lower in the front, and will be mushy...or on the soft side. im sure you'll bottom out easier.......probably wont like it much.....
if there is something to go bad.....it will be the stock shocks

400exMO
05-16-2006, 01:16 PM
nope, probably will drag frame.

boricua
05-16-2006, 01:22 PM
wow:eek2: drag frame?:huh
do you mean he will hit his frame when the fronts compress?

deathman53
05-16-2006, 03:29 PM
long travel shocks are about 3" longer than stock and at a more extreme angle, your front end would be on the ground.

roundsy
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
in this case those extra inches do make a difference :D (always wanted to say that...lol)

400exMO
05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by boricua
wow:eek2: drag frame?:huh
do you mean he will hit his frame when the fronts compress?
yup

kyleschonert
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
it all depeneds on how you wanted to use it. If you were ice racing or oval racing, or flat track. You would be ok b/c you dont leave the ground. But TT and MX would be a no no. Especially MX. TT only has a few jumps, but i wouldnt press my luck.

TBD
05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by nicktrx400ex
can you use your stock suspention on a long travel a-arm for a while with out any thing bad happening?
Not a chance. Arms are designed to run certain length shocks so if you ran a shock that was even 1" shorter you would most likely max out the ball joints or hiems and either bend the arms or pull the balls apart. Either way it would be very unsafe.

boricua
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
here's what you can do.....if you have the arms and the stock shocks....bolt them up and cycle them. you will know then whether or not if you can use them.
on full compression, you would hit your bump stops(if your shocks have them) or your frame tags the ground. you may not have full upward travel either.
then, cycle them completely down....full droop. put your quad on jack stands and let the arms hang down. with the shocks mounted they wont go down as far.....thereby fully extending the shock....that becomes the rebound stop, potentially bad if it slams the shock to itsfull extension. with coil-overs, over extending isnt as bad as coil bind or a hard hit on the shock.....which is what would happen when your arms want more travel than the shock can give it.
some people here only see things one way....while their final answers are usually correct, how they get there can be bias.
bottom line, you can use your shocks. you will not like the softness, they WILL sit lower...potential of damaging your stock shocks is pretty good. if your just looking to putt around, no agressive riding or jumping, you should be ok 'til the new shocks arrive.

1fst400
05-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by boricua
. if your just looking to putt around, no agressive riding or jumping, you should be ok 'til the new shocks arrive.

I agree. If you want to just rip up and doun your driveway a cuple times then go for it. If you want to do much more than that you will probly end up breaking somthing.

also youre front end geometry will probly be off a little with the stock shocks on there, so dont expect it to handle to great.

boricua
05-16-2006, 10:01 PM
^^^^^ now there's a good reply

geometry will be off, shocks will be too soft, shocks will be first thing damaged(unless your hitting frame)

:devil:

400exrider707
05-16-2006, 11:52 PM
I was under the impression the frame would almost be sitting on the ground before you even tried moving it...

boricua
05-17-2006, 08:55 PM
sitting on the ground would depend on how long the arms are. if they are really long, over +2 you could be sitting really low up front. might as well say too close plus the shock will be too soft to hold up the weight up front and compress easier....leading to bottoming out. i dont have either shock in front of me so its hard to say. but i think a stock shock body is longer than long travel shocks and will bottom out before the frame hits. probably only have about 1" of ground clearance, not much.

nicktrx400ex, if you have the arms and the stock shocks, put them on. see what hits. there is too many variables that we dont know exactly so thats the best way to find out buddy.......