PDA

View Full Version : Honda 300ex Reverse / Trans Problem

443dds
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I have a 1993 Honda 300ex that has zero problems since the day I bought it. I change oil once per year, don't ride it too much anymore, but it always starts and runs well.

A few years ago it developed an oil leak around the engine/frame mounts which turned into a larger leak as time went on. After inspecting it, it was clear that the crankcase cover was cracked slightly, so a teardown was in order.

We pulled the engine out of the frame, pulled off the head, jug, the starter-side cover and split the case. We brought in the starter-side case for repair, and reassembled everything with new seals, gaskets, and piston rings.

After putting the engine in the frame, and turning the key on, the Reverse light is on but I cannot push the reverse lever down or up. The shifter moves up and down without going into a gear just like it would be with the machine in reverse.

I pulled off the clutch cover to look at the reverse switch position, and it is in the lower notch on the cam, which according to my book is the Neutral position.

After reading the entire Clymer book on lower end assuming the worst that I have to split the case again, I found that the reverse shifter has a few teeth on it that need to line up with the shift drum via two stamped dots. Of course since we left everything in the clutch-side case, we can't see those dots.

It is logical that I don't have those aligned and that is causing the machine to be stuck in Reverse? (But it rolls as it would be in Neutral, not reverse.)

Or should I be looking elsewhere?

alexmx22
05-16-2006, 03:33 PM
you may be in reverse check to see if when you put the wires that lead to the indicator lights arent crossed you may have the reverse wire plugged in the neutral socket just flip them around