PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Predator 500

Crowdog
08-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Just announced today.....

Polaris Predator 500 (http://www.predator500.com)

Predator unleashes the newest power in performance quads. A new, liquid-cooled, high-performance 500 engine. It’s a hardhitting, high-revving, four-stroke, four-valve powerplant with a double overhead cam. Fed by a pulse fuel pump to guarantee positive fuel flow in rough terrain. Breathing in through a 42-mm BSR carb. Breathing out through tuned 2-into-1 header pipes. Best of all, in the turns, Predator’s advanced steering lets you stay on the throttle. You can keep the revs high, scream through the corners, and free the beast within you.
The 500 engine features a dual overhead cam designed to create peak power and high rpm’s.

They have some pretty impressive options.

What do you guys think?

http://www.predator500.com/img/TROYLEEPACKAGE_I10.jpg

airheadedduner
08-06-2002, 10:50 PM
it is fugly

RobG
08-06-2002, 11:03 PM
I like it better than the Z400.

Rob

Nausty
08-06-2002, 11:36 PM
chances are its gonna be just as over rated as the z too.

08-06-2002, 11:52 PM
if your gunna buy a polaris you might as well get one of your buddies to get a huge run on and kick you in the nuts at full speed.
polaris sux and it always will .
if ever paid money for a polaris i know i'd half to be on some pretty heavy medication or brain dead.
buy an ex and ride like the wind... buy a predator and you'll be walking like a bum.

01TRX300EX
08-07-2002, 06:19 AM
You haven't ridden it and your already saying its going to be junk? Polaris' reliability has been getting better over the years, I am sure they put a lot of testing into this one. And I still don't think the Z400 is over rated, it does exactly what people said it would do, in that case I think the 400EX is over rated, its not the god of quads that most of you believe.

Crazy4bluEx
08-07-2002, 07:32 AM
The troy lee special edition predator is not ugly, look it up in this forum it is one of the sweetest looking quads i have seen, an i will laugh when some of you guys that are dissing these polaris's
are goin down the trail an one flys by you... i wish honda would hurry up because we are all gettin passed up by the brands we used to think were inferior to us....imo

*K*

Crazy4bluEx
08-07-2002, 07:37 AM
here is a pic.....
i think it is awesome...

*K*

87Warrior
08-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Crazy4bluEx
here is a pic.....
i think it is awesome...

*K*

i saw that pic somewhere else on this fourm.... just can't put my finger on it.....:rolleyes:

Crazy4bluEx
08-07-2002, 10:33 AM
The troy lee special edition predator is not ugly, look it up in this forum

my words, LOOK IT UP IN THIS FORUM
all i have 2 say.....
quoted by
Freakystone- go eat AN ICE CUBE.....

MrThumper
08-07-2002, 01:42 PM
does anyone besides me see a mixture between a raptor and cannondale..as far as looks goes...is it typical automatci polaris or did they actually put a tranny in it?????/

08-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MrThumper
is it typical automatci polaris or did they actually put a tranny in it?????/

Have you been doin hard time or living in a cave for the last 5 months????:eek:

300exryder
08-07-2002, 02:43 PM
IMO the Polaris looks kick-*** nice and all of the Honda freaks better get off your high horse and accept the fact that other manufacturers are building bigger and better quads than the 400ex. I'm not saying the 400ex is inferior to the Predator (I never rode one), but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I used to own a Yamaha Warrior and nothing bothered me about it -- no problems, no breakdowns, great performance. I think that people should be willing to understand that not everyone can/will own a Honda -- Financial reasons, looking for a more performance oriented quad, or looking for a more utilitarian type quad.

Bring on the flames!!!!

Nausty
08-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Is was I want to see is a real 440 class racer not some 480lb tank. Yamaha came out with a raptor and already have so many high performace quads I doubt they will come out with another for a long time, suzuki came out with a high perforamce quad and have a low performance quad, their out and now we got polaris with this thing and we still don't have any really 440 class racer other than cannondale and the 400ex. Now is all that is left is honda and hopefully its gonna be a debored cr450f in a quad. If honda did that the other manufactures would be so toast or if yamaha did but thats not likely.

87Warrior
08-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
Is was I want to see is a real 440 class racer not some 480lb tank

who ever said it was 480lbs?
its 415
thats 18lbs more than the raptor

08-07-2002, 11:20 PM
you americans need to wake up..... polaris sucks, it always will, i hate them they can't build a 4x4 right and they'v been doing it for years what makes ya think they can stick gears in a bike and make it work.
i hate polaris and i always will... hate me if ya want i don't care but i'll never ride on or buy one.
live long and ride red....

Nausty
08-08-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by 87Warrior

who ever said it was 480lbs?
its 415
thats 18lbs more than the raptor

it might not be quite that heavy but i'll be it'll be close. Dry weight means jack and the dealers are gonna say its less in the specs by 15 or so pounds and then you gotta have oil, gas, its liquid cooled thats all weight too. I bet it will be at LEAST 450lbs by the time your riding it.

87Warrior
08-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Nausty

it might not be quite that heavy but i'll be it'll be close. Dry weight means jack and the dealers are gonna say its less in the specs by 15 or so pounds and then you gotta have oil, gas, its liquid cooled thats all weight too. I bet it will be at LEAST 450lbs by the time your riding it.

well in that case you might as well add up all that weight to the 400ex 375 dry
say 2.5 gals of gas, since gas weighs less than water that would be about, say 15 lbs [390lbs]
3/4 gal of oil lets say 5 lbs [395]
since dealers lie lets add another 15lbs [410lbs]

lets add the predator [415] lets add 15 right off the bat [430]
bigger gas tank 3 gals like 20lbs [450]
50:50 for the radiator thats not even a gallon 5 lbs [455]
oil another gallon at THE MOST 5 [460]

that 45 lbs so that means the raptor ways in at about 445

i think the power will make up for the extra 50lbs its has over the 400... if what polaris is claiming (50hp+) is true it will have almost twice the HP as the 400ex. even if it's not true and it prolly isn't, it is still going around the corners, accellerating, and just pain going faster than the 400 z400 and raptor

Guy400
08-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 87Warrior

i think the power will make up for the extra 50lbs its has over the 400... A powerful motor doesn't help the weight of the bike when you're flying over a 60 ft. double. You're still attempting to move 450+ lbs. around in the air lap after lap, you're going to get tired.

As far as the weight of the EX, it's been proven to weigh 399lbs. full of fuel and oil (this was a nationally published report).

08-08-2002, 07:22 PM
i agree with yellowstreak that polaris sux hard cause they dont make many real atvs they make ski doos with wheels they sux very hard not even relieable ski doos with wheels ya either see the rider walking out of the woods and then find the bike broke down or ya see the bike and then pass the rider that made it futher that that really relieable atv......!!!!!!

and the real reason i hate the 500 polaris is because there only hardcore sportbike before thats was a scrambler that was another ski doo with wheels and it suked so bad thats why i would ride red before polaris cause i all ready have a ski doo i dont need another .....!!!!!!!!!
lifes short so enjoy it while ya can ride

08-08-2002, 09:46 PM
overpriced,overwheight ,under engineered, all looks no quality..

SHOULDA CANNED IT ON THE DRAWING BOARD>>>POS!

Don;t get sucked into HYPE!...

look like a a good thing to put in the middle of a MONSTER!! truck
SHOW
..................between the ramps ....

87Warrior
08-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by blackstreak
i agree with yellowstreak that polaris sux hard cause they dont make many real atvs they make ski doos with wheels they sux very hard not even relieable ski doos with wheels ya either see the rider walking out of the woods and then find the bike broke down or ya see the bike and then pass the rider that made it futher that that really relieable atv......!!!!!!

and the real reason i hate the 500 polaris is because there only hardcore sportbike before thats was a scrambler that was another ski doo with wheels and it suked so bad thats why i would ride red before polaris cause i all ready have a ski doo i dont need another .....!!!!!!!!!
lifes short so enjoy it while ya can ride

are you and yellow streak the same person? (very creative :rolleyes: )

even if you're not, your opinion is null and void due to the fact that this is your first post.. i bet u and yellow are just can't wait to show all the kids at (pre)school that something you wrote is on the INTERNET!!!! yay!

as for polaris' reliability, you gotta stop riding your '85 trail bosses around and just accept that polaris can acutally make a decent sport quad, that isn't auto tranny

as far as their 4x4s go,,, who wants a 5 speed 4x4? nobody! while we're at it why don't we make 5 speed snowmobiles and P. watercraft... polaris makes the best 4x4s in the atv industry, only ones with true 4 wheel drive... the only 4x4s that i'd get aside a polaris are the rincon and the grizz 660

oh by the way, bomber makes ski doos not polaris

87Warrior
08-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
overpriced,overwheight ,under engineered, all looks no quality..

SHOULDA CANNED IT ON THE DRAWING BOARD>>>POS!

Don;t get sucked into HYPE!...

look like a a good thing to put in the middle of a MONSTER!! truck
SHOW
..................between the ramps ....

i BELIVE this guy for two reasons

1. he posted more than 5 times

2. he obviously rode a predator and thought it sucked

lol

08-08-2002, 10:37 PM
ok excuse me if i'm too busy riding my quad to sit arround and post threads on stupid things... i have an opinion.. if you don't like it you can chew my *****.
i hate polaris for all the right reasons... cuz they suck .. and a 4x4 aint a 4x4 unless it's got gears.. i hate belt drive, it's just not right. anyway why don't you post your opions on another thread if you don't like what i have to say .
87 warrior? your a lame *****.. y the **** would i be a yellow and a black streak. i have one name and i have no need for another... and as for preschool.. thats the years that quads had gears and snowmobiles had belts... the way it shoulda been.
i used to think that everyone that rode a quad was cool but i guess you proved me wrong..

airheadedduner
08-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Polaris has the ablility to put out a decent quad. I hate polaris but am willing to give it a chance even though it looks like that snake I just ran over with my truck. Polaris has put out a manual tranny before, the ranch I worked on had one and it shiffted very smooth and had a positive feel(just like a honda). Besides the looks the only thing I have against it is weight cause it won't be near as flickable as my lightened R. I don't beleive the 50hp thing, taht most likely is a crankshaft number instead of measured at the rear wheel.

TravEX
08-09-2002, 06:14 AM
good posts 87warrior,,,

how many people have ridden or owned Polaris quads that are bashing them and saying they suck and all that junk?

08-09-2002, 04:59 PM
im gonna type what i think about polaris or yamaha or honda and even kawasaki if i want to and no one can stop me from doing so...... and i really have a problem with 87warrior i think that hes needs to stay off the computer and stop being a idoit to other peoples opinon and i dont like people who are full of $hit and i hope he doesn't fart or there will be a mess ...... and for polaris relieability its about as relieabile as a car with no engine ........ so 87warrior you better not fart and i think yo better lay off my opinion or you ll have a visit !!!!!!!!!!:devil :D

Guy400
08-09-2002, 05:57 PM
im gonna type what i think about polaris or yamaha or honda and even kawasaki if i want to and no one can stop me from doing so...... and i really have a problem with 87warrior i think that hes needs to stay off the computer and stop being a idoit to other peoples opinon and i dont like people who are full of $hit and i hope he doesn't fart or there will be a mess ...... and for polaris relieability its about as relieabile as a car with no engine ........ so 87warrior you better not fart and i think yo better lay off my opinion or you ll have a visit !!!!!!!!!!:devil :D Whoa, looks like someone needs to worry about Polaris' new quad less and their spelling/grammar book a little more:huh

08-09-2002, 06:22 PM
you damn americans are annoying me very much!!!!!! You suck at comebacks and i might need to work on spelling and grammer but i can sure drive a quad , car ,truck and many more things and yet can can keep my mouth shut unlike all you damn americans thats just talk to her your self and type to see your qoutes but u dont understand that im a canadian and im prode of that so you ameicans can like my re(dom and like it !!!!
and for 87warrior and GuyLT250R you guys must be real winners you can only pick out spelling mistakes in my posts..... so if i was as lame as you i would go fing the biggest tree i could find and climb to the top and jump out and make sure i hit my nuts on every tree branch on the way down !!!!
so shut up and get out more ok you lame ***** losers!!!!!:p

Guy400
08-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Take 2 Prozac and call me in the morning...

I was simply poking fun at your spelling and grammar. It makes it pretty hard to read when we've got no periods at the end of sentences and we've got to figure out if it's a new sentence or not. I never once said anything derogatory about Canada or Canadians.

Bean
08-09-2002, 07:42 PM
now this is an perfect example of when your parents love you way to much, ina southern sorta canadian way, lmao

airheadedduner
08-09-2002, 11:58 PM
blackstreak
you damn americans are annoying me very much!!!!!! You suck at

If you don't like it don't respond, cause 87warrior is not the one sounding like a jackass.

R-Crazy
08-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Hey man, dont be insulting the USA. with out us, you guys would be screwed. i am very patriotic and i am sure there is a lot more people on this site that are, especially after 9/11.

dave

87Warrior
08-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by yellow streak
ok excuse me if i'm too busy riding my quad...
pow-pow-power wheels

chew my *****.
ahh canadians, the kings of comebacks

and a 4x4 aint a 4x4 unless it's got gears..
if all 4x4s had gears, and you got yourself into a situation like a ditch or hill or snow, you'd never be in the right gear,,, have you ever ride in the mountains? the trails are so inconsistant that if you had a 5-speed you'd be shifting all the time, where with automatic you'll always be in the right gear

you damn americans are annoying me very much!!!!!!
yeah we Americans get that a lot

You suck at comebacks
yeah ya got that right :rolleyes:

so shut up and get out more ok you lame ***** losers!!!!!:p
again i am deeply offended by you, the king off all that are comebacks:rolleyes:

Zero Z400
08-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Both u streaks r doing these boards no good. How about u get off these board if ur just gonna be a dumbas$. Now back to the Polaris, i always hear people saying about how unreliable Polaris is, my friend has 3 w/ no problems, i also know another guy w/ no problems. I don't think weight matters as much as everyone thinks it does either, my friends dirtbike broke down and my other frined let him ride his 400ex. We went to a big jump and were jumping a little bit, i asked him if he wanted to switch for a bit. We jumped a bit and when he stopped he said mines lighter, I think the Z is a little heavier cuz of the liquid cooling, but its just that Suzuki balanced the engine extrmely well so it FEELS light. Now i don't know if polaris has done a good job w/ balancing but they might have.

Later

87Warrior
08-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Zero Z400
my friend has 3 w/ no problems, i also know another guy w/ no problems. ... I don't think weight matters as much as everyone thinks it does either

i agree, my friend has a polaris, sportsman 400 4x4 '94 2-stroke,
he had it on his 800acre+ farm for a long time and after all that (i ride it EVERYWHERE when im there) there is a pin-sized hole in the coolant rezzie and the carb leaks. not bad for over 6 years of abuse.
his uncle has 5 quads 4 are polaris (3 are S/M 500s one is a 700 and the other is a grizz 660), i rode every(500 [not 700] polaris)one in the mountains, not one problem, ever. his other uncle has 2 sportsman 500s, not one prob ever

as for the weight, it FELT heavier than my 300 it acually felt more like my warrior:huh , those things turn on a dime that helped me a few times.
for weighing 700+ pounds, it was pretty menuverable (sp?), it didn't FEEL like 700, more like 500 IMO

Sportrax10
08-11-2002, 04:52 PM
My sister owns a trailblazer but shes selling it for a 250ex, i can honestly say that they ARE junk...... Well at least the sport polaris quads but i dont kno much about the predator 500, i would much rather take a prairie 650 or grizzly or any honda utillity over a polaris utility but they are not so bad.... but from experience sport polaris sucks :o

FullBore52
08-11-2002, 05:04 PM
A trail blazer can hardly be considered sport....less than 20 horsepower out of a 250cc two stroke? get real

Sportrax10
08-11-2002, 08:00 PM
ur right cause they have a utitity motor in it.... but i was jumping it (my ex was at a friends house cause he was bringing it on the trailer to hatfield mccoy for me :blah ) and i was getting pretty high on my little table-top and a bent the strut and something else and they said the warrenty wouldnt cover it so i had to pay $300+ to fix it!!! im sure polaris considers it a sport though... i wouldnt

Live2Ride300
08-11-2002, 08:34 PM
My Dad has a 99' polaris sportsman 500. Problems we have expericence wiht it are the plastic belt drive case on teh left side hits the clutch or whatever is moving in there and makes this weird noise at start up, but once the machine is warmed up it goes away. The left front shock seems to be shot, it looks like a seal went, probably because we use it to plow our driveway in the winter and to plow a track on the lake:). It works good for plowing, all the extra weight everyone complains about probably helps with traction in the snow, it has 27inch blackwaters on it that do good in the snow. The other problem we had was on the rear suspension the bottom a-arm bolt snapped, and the left rear tire was wobbling inward, so we just had to get a new bolt from polaris.

Everyone name problems you've heard of or experienced with ur own polaris's- thanx:)

Charlie (chuck)

cheetah
08-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Crazy4bluEx
The troy lee special edition predator is not ugly, look it up in this forum it is one of the sweetest looking quads i have seen, an i will laugh when some of you guys that are dissing these polaris's
are goin down the trail an one flys by you... i wish honda would hurry up because we are all gettin passed up by the brands we used to think were inferior to us....imo

*K*

No kiddin and now we are gonna have to take crap from Artict Cat:huh . C'mon Honda I will not let anyone riding an artict cat to talk trash about a honda, if it wasn't for suzuki they still wouldn't have anything.

Castor-426ex
08-11-2002, 11:20 PM
hmmm blah blah blah...blah blah blah blah blah...blah

haha im anti polaris for one reason...bought my wife a 99 trailblazer...i checked it all out before we bought it..
took it home....she rode it a few times...POP!! front sprocket snaps...chain snaps....ok...I fix all that....
ok two reasons...lol
yesterday she was cruisin around the yard...oil light comes on..or the high temp or whatever it is....turns out the oil injector decided to quit working..thanks alot...lol a 1999...sheesh the things a man goes through for a woman..

well after I ramp that hunk of crap into a pond im gonna tell her no more quads...at least not another polaris...

But maybe all the stuff polaris did before was practice? HAHA

and Maybe they got the predator right:huh

Sportrax10
08-12-2002, 01:07 AM
oh yea i forgot.... i broke the chain too..... my neibor broke his trail boss chain and his sisters trailblazer chain.... hehehehehe and a yerf dog 90 chain broke in my field along with a banshee..... dang thats a lot of chains

Live2Ride300
08-12-2002, 07:07 AM
My friend has two scrambler 400s, a 2by4 and a 4by4, hes snapped the chain on both oh them.

08-12-2002, 08:12 AM
hey im sorry i wasnt having a good week and i took it out on you guys and im sorry ok please rogive me i was being a jack***** but i am sorry ok thanx
lifes sort so ride while you can !!!

PismoGuy400
08-13-2002, 10:16 PM
that was a lot of insulting words to 90% of all the exrider members, especially coming from a new comer....

whoever said the predator is ugly ....i couldnt agree more.....

i think it would be the best looking quad out there if they took ALL the graphics off...for some reason i have a feeling that this will be an ok quad....not the best but just ok.

Z400central
08-13-2002, 11:45 PM
I cant wait! I think its a bad lookin quad, but thats my opinion right? The troy lee looks bad @$$!!!!!

06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I like the YFZ better....oh wait....none of you know about the YFZ!!!

So long from!......THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111:macho