PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbike kill as a start button?

scramblerracer
05-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I want to do away with my stock headlight kill and start assy on the bars. I only need start function. I have heard I can use a dirtbike kill switch- but i am unsure how to hook up. I have a 05 Predator. Thanks

DieselBoy
05-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I was also thinking about using the killswitch as a starter button. I'm sure it would work.... you have to get the wiring diagram and find out which wire operates the starter and connect it to your killswitch (start button)....but don't f it up or you may ruine something, or worse yet, a fire

400sEXridr
05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
just pull off the stock switch cluster and disconnect the wires that go to the stock starter button. then simply connect the 2 wires from the dirtbike switch to the disconnected wires. i have heard though if you are using a cr style kill switch that you need to wrap the handlebars where you mount it in electrical tape or something similar to prevent it from grounding through the handlebars

Doibugu2
05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I've gone through 4 different starter buttons since trying to do this. It looks great but sometimes when you mess with electrical stuff you cause more problems.

I know where you can get the instructions if you want to PM how to do it for a 400ex

DieselBoy
05-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
It looks great but sometimes when you mess with electrical stuff you cause more problems.

i agree. you have to be extremely careful with the electrical, it can be a real nightmare. i'd like the instructions also if you have them

mike,

Doibugu2
05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
edited....

Flynbryan19
05-16-2006, 12:26 PM
The easiest solution is to use a starter button for one of the electric start dirtbikes. IE: Wr250F/Wr450F, Crf250x/Crf450x, Drz400E, etc. Then your using a switch that is actually designed to be used as a starter button. ;)

Careful DoIbugU, you may end up Banned too...... lol