PDA

View Full Version : PEP suspension opinions and questions

xrxmxcx
05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
i am thinking of making the switch to pep and have a few newbe questions, right now i have custom axis shocks F&R

1) what exactly is limited mass style shocks?

2)what are your opinions on ZPS, how important is it?

3)who has the best deals?

im looking to get front LT quadrate limited mass w/ 8 click big bottle's & rear dual rate limited mass w/ an 8 click big bottle

thanks!

440ex kid
05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I think the big bottles only come in zps. I have a set and they are the great. They are hella expensive and you are going to wait for ever for them.

hondardr4life
05-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I love my shocks. I have quadrate ZPS with regular 21 click canisters. I asked Mark about the limited mass, and he said that if you are spending that much money, you might as well get zps, because they are so much better. I wouldn't go any other way than ZPS, especially with motocross. Best shocks on the market IMO. Mark is very busy though, so it does take some time to get them, but they are definetly worth the wait.

WhiteYFZ
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Mark is very busy though, so it does take some time to get them, but they are definetly worth the wait.

AMEN im getting my shocks tomorrow and i orderend them on march 20th:eek2:

BUT MARK IS A GREAT GUY!!

dragracer101
05-16-2006, 06:32 PM
motosport.com has the best deals

CannondaleRider
05-17-2006, 12:06 AM
I've never had any hard riding experience with PEP's, or Elkas.

But, the owner of Palo Verde Suspensions(a well know Arizona suspension shop), told me about the design of PEP shocks(along with others), apposed to Elka and Ohlins.

PEP uses a "puck" form of Valving, that has different sized holes in it, for valving. Meaning, for a revalve, the builder must drill a different size hole in the puck, to get the right valving, meaning its not as accurate as the other design.

The other design, used by Elka and Ohlins, is a shim form of Valving. The shim stack is pushed apart by the valving, and the shims spacing causes the resistance. This means, the builder puts in different sized shims, to change the valving. There is a much smaller change in these shims, meaning a very accurate Valve.

I also heard that PEP valves within 20 pounds, apposed to Elka, who valves within 5 pounds. Which I believe...according to the valve design.

I do like the Big Bottle design PEP sells though.

hondardr4life
05-17-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by WhiteYFZ
AMEN

That is exactly why I will go to his store over anywhere else, even if someone else is cheaper. You can't put a price on service. He is the only person I can call, and get a completely honest answer. Plus its not like other shops, where you call and you can never talk to the owner. 1/2 of the time, Mark answers the phone himself.

FHKracingZ
05-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Acually PEP uses a check-n-ball type valving, which may be around the same. PEP , Elka, Axis are all great but if anything PEP, Axis are known to get it down to your exact weight. Elka is known for being valved way off, but if there valved right there awsome as well.

bradley300
05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
elka valves within 15 lbs according to the chart on the outside of the box your shocks come in

bradley300
05-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by WhiteYFZ
AMEN im getting my shocks tomorrow and i orderend them on march 20th:eek2:

lmao, i remember when people would wait a year to get their shocks from PEP

fandl450r
05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
i am thinking of making the switch to pep and have a few newbe questions, right now i have custom axis shocks F&R

1) what exactly is limited mass style shocks?

2)what are your opinions on ZPS, how important is it?

3)who has the best deals?

im looking to get front LT quadrate limited mass w/ 8 click big bottle's & rear dual rate limited mass w/ an 8 click big bottle

thanks!

I don't think the LTD Mass come in the 8 click bottles. ZPS comes with the 8 Click. I've ridden a set of ZPS 8 clicks on my bike and wow, I fell in love with them. PEP really did their homework. PEP has pretty standard pricing. I know R3Concepts on this site deals a lot with Baldwin so he could probably hook you up with some shocks.

FHKRacingZ is right its a check/ball style valving. Similiar to what Honda did with their Showa shocks in the 80's.

gibson400ex
05-17-2006, 10:21 AM
if you have the money, get arc 8-click piggy's

the zps are good to

WhiteYFZ
05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
and i got them today just like he said...
pep lt shocks piggyback
pig 8 click bottles

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/tjespo22/HPIM0456.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/tjespo22/HPIM0455.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/tjespo22/HPIM0454.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/tjespo22/HPIM0453.jpg

FHKracingZ
05-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Just for clarification they are remote-piggybacks my friend not piggybacks. True PEP piggybacks will be avaliable in july.

WhiteYFZ
05-17-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah i know...

Mean250r
05-17-2006, 06:13 PM
im goin with a PEP/ walsh front end on my YFZ. PEP makes some sick shocks, i rode them and there were SO nice. TCs makes a damn good shock for the price as well