PDA

View Full Version : how to ... skid plate

b.lee
05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
my R has a laeger or lonestar swingarm...
and it doesn't have a skid plate or anywhere to attach one.

anyone got any idea's?

without switching to a different swingarm, on how to attach a skid plate?

:confused:

TheFontMaster
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Pick up a swingarm for a stock 250r swing arm, and just have brakets made that will weld to the swingarm that the skid plate can bolt to. It's reletively easy to do, any compitent machine shop should be able to fab you up a couple brakets in about an hour.

b.lee
05-16-2006, 10:42 AM
so i would just need a stocker to look at / copy the skid plate mounting brackets off of?

then weld the copied brackets to my current swingarm?

correct? or no?

TheFontMaster
05-16-2006, 06:41 PM
No get a skid plate that is meant for a stock swingarm, but not necicarily a stock skid plate, just get the one you want. You can then take the skid plate, and line it up where you want it and then build your mounts. Take your quad and a skid plate to a machine shop, they can take care of all the logistics of lining up the skid plate so it doesn't hit the chain or sprocket.

b.lee
05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
ok thanks.

and i will not be taking it to a shop.

TheFontMaster
05-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by b.lee
ok thanks.

and i will not be taking it to a shop.

Thats what I like to hear:cool:

x.system
05-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Just do it like this one, Round stock that is threaded, welded to the swinger. Just make sure you get enuff space between the two.

TheFontMaster
05-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by x.system
Just do it like this one, Round stock that is threaded, welded to the swinger. Just make sure you get enuff space between the two.

That looks like a good way to mount the skid, the only thing I don't like is how thin that tube is. A good hit will bend the mounts. I would use a little bigger tube if posible, and weld some small gussets on 4 sides of each tube.

b.lee
05-18-2006, 12:42 PM
thanks for the info.