PDA

View Full Version : tranny

zedicus00
05-15-2006, 02:45 PM
what do i hafta change to convert an 86 tranny to an 88 tranny? i know 5th and 6th gears but main, counter, or both gears??

BEE u run that combo tranny dont u??

beerock
05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
what do i hafta change to convert an 86 tranny to an 88 tranny? i know 5th and 6th gears but main, counter, or both gears??

BEE u run that combo tranny dont u??

actually i run a 88 main and counter with 88 1st to 4th gears)

best thing i can tell ya is to buy 88 5th and 6th counter AND MAIN

i just looked at the manual and i remember when i did the hybrid C6(countershaft 6th gear) has the same amount of teeth as 88 BUT the DOG engagement is lined up differently with the splines.

I found this problem when i put my cases together as a test and when trying to shift the tranny (spinning the sprocket and up shifting) there was a BINDING in the transmission. I went my friends who was a honda mechanic and raced pro am to figure it out and he was at a loss. I finally figured out after staring at the tranny images in the honda manual that 86 c6 is not interchangeable with 87-89. stupid me, it was printed in the manual.

i finally figured that out and reassembles with an 86 c6 and the tranny was bind free.

so yea, all you need is 5th and 6th counter and main shaft for both.

Mind you, be very careful supposedly you should replace the gear locking clips when reassembling the transmission. if your careful and do not bend them to much when removing you can use them over but you have to be very careful.

dont depend on the manual to reassmeble try to create soem sort of way so you can reinstall the tranny exactly as you took it apart, all the manuals are very VAGUE when it comes to the transmission.

matt250r21
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Your best bet is to look at a parts list, like on service honda's site and write down the differences between the years. I know you need 5th + 6th counter + main gears. But you also need some spacer washers and collars to go with the new gears. The mainshaft and countershafts themselves have different part #'s , but are interchangeable thru all years.

zedicus00
05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
awsome guys thanks for the help, sounds like its a royal pain in the ars if nuthing else...

do you guys know how thouse yukon kits work? they say they fit in any year tranny and it magically becomes a 88-89 style but thers no counter gears in the kit... or so i was told???

beerock
05-15-2006, 08:23 PM
the yukon has only the o****ershaft gears

matt250r21
05-15-2006, 08:44 PM
The 89 tranny update is not that big of a deal, it is really just a few parts. If you upgrade to the Yukon or Baldwin aftermarket gears, you still need to get the 5th + 6th 89 style mainshaft gears, washers, and collars. The aftermarket gears are countershaft parts only.

zedicus00
05-15-2006, 08:45 PM
are u sure? the sales rep i bought the first set from said there was gears for both shafts, an engine buileder i talked to said only mainshaft, and i think the word that got partially blocked says only counter shaft??? this is turning into a pita

beerock
05-15-2006, 08:49 PM
dude two of us already said countershaft

there countersgaft only, ive seen them first hand, and ive also BS'd with mark about his gears they all say the main abuse on the gears is the countershaft

but cyroing the others will help

lee37vernon
05-16-2006, 01:13 AM
my yukons are on way and their definately only counter set 2 - 6th gear . do a search on my thread 'yukon or cryo' i think it was , airdog sorted me out a good price and he'll be able to tell you the full specs for definate. youve only gotta look at 2nd to see why it brakes , its massive and full of holes ! the mains are pretty compact so unless worn out they dont look like breaking up much to me .