PDA

View Full Version : Western Kansas Sand Dunes?

jrodulery
05-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Anyone heard of this place in Western Kansas? I heard they are working on opening it up to atvs. It is suppose to be bigger than Litlle Sahara.

Titanium
05-15-2006, 08:35 AM
yes its down in syracuse(sp) kansas.

J_bob_28
05-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by jrodulery
Anyone heard of this place in Western Kansas? I heard they are working on opening it up to atvs. It is suppose to be bigger than Litlle Sahara.

from what ive heard it is roughly twice the size of LS and the dunes are quite a bit bigger too......all rumors tho...but i hope they open this place up soon because LS is gettin rather crowded lately

pharit
05-15-2006, 03:38 PM
i need info

smokinwrench
05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I worked in Syracuse today, I also asked a couple of locals about it. Right now it is all rumors other then it has been mentioned and talked about.

What they told me today was that the city owns the water rights to the ground it is where some of the city water wells are located. The city cannot take control of the ground until the owner passes away.

I have been out in that area a bunch and there are soem big dunes, not much of it is open dunes though. If it would open it would take years for it to become big open dunes riding area. Right now it would be lots of tight trails in the middle of sage brush and plumb thickets and lots of yucka plants. It is a huge huge area of sand we are talking about, much bigger then Waynoka if it ever happens.

I'm not sure how accurate my info is but at least it came form people living in Syracuse.

Syracuse is 105 miles west of Dodge City on highway 50 or about 18 miles from the Colorado boarder. I'm sure some of you had know clue where it is located.

Titanium
05-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
I worked in Syracuse today, I also asked a couple of locals about it. Right now it is all rumors other then it has been mentioned and talked about.

What they told me today was that the city owns the water rights to the ground it is where some of the city water wells are located. The city cannot take control of the ground until the owner passes away.

I have been out in that area a bunch and there are soem big dunes, not much of it is open dunes though. If it would open it would take years for it to become big open dunes riding area. Right now it would be lots of tight trails in the middle of sage brush and plumb thickets and lots of yucka plants. It is a huge huge area of sand we are talking about, much bigger then Waynoka if it ever happens.

I'm not sure how accurate my info is but at least it came form people living in Syracuse.

Syracuse is 105 miles west of Dodge City on highway 50 or about 18 miles from the Colorado boarder. I'm sure some of you had know clue where it is located.

i heard that they were goin to start spray down the area from planes to kill the vegitation off.

smokinwrench
05-17-2006, 05:44 AM
They might be but these guys never said that. I will ask when I work out there again.

DaleJrFan
05-17-2006, 07:06 AM
They were talking about this on planetsand.com a couple of months ago but nobody had any info on it, just rumors. It would be nice to see more dunes in the mid-west area though. If anyone hears anything, keep us posted on here.

cjkranz
05-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Planetsand.com and waynoka.com both have some info and even pics of the area. Insurance is a big hurdle right now, along with the city owning a strip in the middle, as stated above, with some of their water wells on it. They have a group of individuals working on the details now, but it sounds like it is going to be a legal battle. Acres have been reported to be approx 3000+, (by someone that rides out there occasionally.)