PDA

View Full Version : How to make your quad streel legal, even in california!

05400exdude
05-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't know about you, but i've always wanted to figure out a way to make my EX street legal. So i did some reseach and found out there are lots of things that try to prevent it from becoming true, here in California anyway. HOWEVER, there is a way! In CA, a motorcycle is defined as a vehicle with over 150cc engine and 3 tires or less touching the ground... go check out www.streetlegalatv.com I think its a cool idea, extreame and maybe not for me, but cool non the less.
Ride hard and love it!
www.streetlegalatv.com

trx 200
05-14-2006, 10:25 PM
lmao raptor 3 wheeler, NOW I've seen it all. MY LIFE IS COMPLETE! *shoots self in head*

BORY
05-15-2006, 05:05 AM
i know there is a banshee that is in cali got pulled over 72 times and no tickets yet. but in any other state ecspecailly in mass no chance maybe vegas but idk. good luck ur lucky if u can bc i want to so BAD.

PismoLocal
05-15-2006, 10:35 AM
there is about 6 street legal quads in my county some guy bought the quads and then made a killing selling them for almost twice as much as they cost. they all have four wheels though.

dragracer101
05-15-2006, 08:35 PM
wat does imao stand for??????

red n blk supra
05-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by dragracer101
wat does imao stand for??????
laughing my *** off

Halter
05-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
there is about 6 street legal quads in my county some guy bought the quads and then made a killing selling them for almost twice as much as they cost. they all have four wheels though.

how he make them street legal?

PismoLocal
05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Blinkers, high beams, low beams, and an attorney im guessing i saw them in our local photo ad and gave him a call he said that he used a loop in the Dmv to do it.

psycafunkapus
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
i saw a steetleagle quad in the last dirtwheels mag. it was pretty sweet....the guy took a croch rocket rear swing arm and mounted it...it looked wild...

csimp3
05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
i was in daytona for bike week and i saw a guy with a quad with a dirtbike swingarm and rear wheel, and he had a license plate

Rip_Tear
05-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Not to down this thread or anything, but that stuff is old news, I have that pic and it was saved about this time 4 years ago in October. The only reason they don't like some ATV's to be street legal is the solid rear axle, it's unsafe for the road, but if one rear tire is free wheeling it's fine, or if it's got a diff.

CD400EX
05-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Yep, needs a diff for the road.

When I was working in Germany two years ago, one of the guys at the plant rode a Raptor 660 to work. In Germany quads are sold with full lighting, blinkers, mirros and street tires They are registered and insured just like a street motorcycle.

He took me to the motorcycle place in town one day and the guy working there told me he could ship me a DOT kit for my 400!

05-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't think people realize that a street legal kit won't make a atv really street legal. The police dont have to make it a certified street atv just becuase u have the street legal kit. The Police don't wont atv's to be street legalized so they will just not certify the quad because they dont want to.. I love my 450R and I love riding it but not on the road.. ATV is a offroad machine and cars are for the road.. If everyone's atv was street legal think of all the stupid insane people would be drag racing and doing stupid stuff.. The police dont want it and most off do you really think your insurance company will cover a modified banshee that is street legal that runs 120 .. NO!!

cabby
05-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Here in south dakota any quad can be used on all public roads and highways. "Not on the interstate". Any offroad vehicle can be registered for highway use. It must have a horn, license plate light, brake light, and 1 mirror. When you purchase a quad in South Dakota vehicle registration is included in the price.

South Dakota Motor Vehicle (http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/MotorVehicle/title/register.htm#Off)

Crazy lil punk
05-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by evileyesracing
I don't think people realize that a street legal kit won't make a atv really street legal. The police dont have to make it a certified street atv just becuase u have the street legal kit. The Police don't wont atv's to be street legalized so they will just not certify the quad because they dont want to.. I love my 450R and I love riding it but not on the road.. ATV is a offroad machine and cars are for the road.. If everyone's atv was street legal think of all the stupid insane people would be drag racing and doing stupid stuff.. The police dont want it and most off do you really think your insurance company will cover a modified banshee that is street legal that runs 120 .. NO!!

I dont think you realise how many people on crotch rockets do everything your are saying, they race, the act like idiots and they have insurance even thought they can do 150mph, and there is guys who just like to ride their rockets peacefully. the only differance is we have 4 wheels and they only have 2, just my 2cents

JOEX
05-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by evileyesracing
The police are not the ones who decide what should or shouldn't be legal. They just enforce the laws passed by the legislators of your state/county/locality.

I don't see anything wrong with making any vehicle street legal as long as it is safe. Most problems arise with the operator:ermm:

pitchblack400
05-21-2006, 05:46 AM
I don't see anything wrong with making any vehicle street legal as long as it is safe. Most problems arise with the operator (quoted from JOEX) <--lol trying to give credit man

I dont know how to copy, i seen it on here one day but forgot. Very well said tho by JOEX i couldn't agree more. Crotch rockets are some of the most dangerous machines on earth, but can be made very safe by correct safety actions. Its all how you ride it. So im sure these atvs could be ridden very safely if anyone made an honest try, that and i dont think i could pull a wheelie anyways lol with only one wheel pushing those two.

coryatver
05-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I think its pretty rediculous that you can run it with 1 rear wheel but not 2. I would think 2 would be a lot safer! i can' t imagine how it would handle with 1