PDA

View Full Version : first rebuild questions?

JDH
05-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Can anyone shed any light on what insadentalls I my need for my rebuild? I have a list of major parts ie, a-arms shocks, and what not. But it is the other stuff That help to know now. thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
05-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I would check all bearings and seals in carrier, swingarm, front hubs ect..

MMcCannon
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Plan on a full front bushing kit if they don't come w/ your a arms. Also, if your pulling your swingarm and or motor, plan on getting a new pivot bolt and those bearings. Seems like the pivot bolts are always a b**** to get out and usually get bent in the process. Or they get cut out!:D

One_Bad_400
05-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by MMcCannon
Seems like the pivot bolts are always a b**** to get out and usually get bent in the process. Or they get cut out!:D

haha... been there... i once had to cuz my swing arm and pivit bolt in half just to get the bolt out to get my motor out... lol... it was quite a hassle.. so i put some silver never seez on it and when i putt that nut off it slides out with my pink pulling it

MMcCannon
05-31-2006, 03:36 PM
I'll have to keep that stuff in mind. I am building my brother in laws 400ex right now and i had to grind the ends off, drill the bolt out past the frame, then cut the bolt into three on both sides of the motor mount to get the swing arm out, and am still working on getting the rest out of the case. Best scenario is that they just bend.:ermm:

06-01-2006, 10:14 AM
yeah, those pivot bolts suck.
the never cease idea, is a great idea. why didn't i think of that??
lonestar or somebody sells one with a grease fitting in it. that should aid in removal.

i'm thinking my pivot bolt bearings are toast, because i can feel some slop when i push on the side of the quad. can't quite pin point where it's coming from. it's not my axle bearings, though. I'm positive of that.

BTW, how difficult is it to remove the axle bearings? Is there 2 bearings on the sprocket side, and 1 bearing on the brake side?

MMcCannon
06-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I have heard that the greasable ones do help alot as long as you grease them often. I haven't had the pleasure of replacing my axle bearings yet but I know that just about every other quad I have done has had either 1 on each side or 2 on each side. Some have 1 wide bearing on each side (the fat bearing setup), but most all are symetrical. I could be wrong though, it has happened before.:eek2:

MMcCannon
06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
One last thought, wherever you get your bearings from should be able to tell you one way or the other for sure. Or you could check the service manual if you have on, but those are for pussies....thats why i hide mine.:macho