PDA

View Full Version : How long before oem shocks are going to be as good as aftermarkets?

FireMedic686R
05-14-2006, 04:44 PM
When do you think manufactures are going to put aftermarket quality shocks on atv straight from the factory??

eganracing
05-14-2006, 04:54 PM
no time soon. theres lots of people out there that never do anything with there shocks. the new 450 shocks are very good on all the top manufactures (if your an average rider).

ALAMX37
05-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Factory shocks will get closer and closer as the factiries get more involved. It is still prob. 10 years down the road though.

calds650
05-15-2006, 05:22 AM
When they build them for each individual rider’s skill level, weight and type of computation

05-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah right, the aftermarket shocks will get better just as fast as the stock ones do!

motox450
05-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't think it will be long before OEM shocks will be better than that of the aftermarket shocks. OEM suspension components on bikes are very very good now and continue to improve. These improvements will leak down to atv's in the near future. Also competition and consumers drive what companies do. With the LTR being closer to race ready Honda and Yamaha will step up and bring more of the same. If one of the oem's would go as far as putting long travel on there quads stock all the rest would follow. Time will tell, but all the manufacturers are going to step up to the plate and I think it is very good for all of us who ride quads.

Yamahauler_04
05-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Never. As the factory gets better, so will the aftermarket.

Look at the 2 wheelers. They have awesome off the shelf suspensions. But the aftermarket has stepped up and made them even better. Usually just tuning them to your preferences and weight.

But the aftermarket will always have room to improve.

motox450
05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Yamahauler_04
Never. As the factory gets better, so will the aftermarket.

Look at the 2 wheelers. They have awesome off the shelf suspensions. But the aftermarket has stepped up and made them even better. Usually just tuning them to your preferences and weight.

But the aftermarket will always have room to improve.

There are no aftermarket suspension makers for bikes, other than ohlins. EVERYONE other than pros use stock suspension vavled for weight and riding style! Even then the pros are using factory "works" Showa and Kayaba suspension. Eventually the stock suspension will catch up and surpass current aftermarket suspension, and will do it cheaper thant he current aftermarket is.

red4r
05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
i was thinkin bout this the other day .... if factory starts to make everything as good as aftermarket the price of the atvs will go up to high then no one will buy them...i think they will go to a ceartin extent then just do minor upgrades threw the years...thats why theres aftermarket for the people who want more than just a stock atv...and have the money to do it...

just my thoughts

motox450
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by red4r
i was thinkin bout this the other day .... if factory starts to make everything as good as aftermarket the price of the bikes will go up to high then no one will buy them...i think they will go to a ceartin extent then just do minor upgrades threw the years...thats why theres aftermarket for the people who want more than just a stock bike...and have the money to do it...

just my thoughts

The thing is when the oem's start making the hardware better they can mass produce it and it won't be much more expensive than what it is now. In fact right now if you look it up the cost of a new CRF450r bike entire rear shock is 455.15 from service honda and the 478.35 for the TRX450R entire rear shock. The CRF rear shock has more travel and more complex valving that that of the TRX. So just because it gets better does not mean it gets more expensive.

R3Concepts
05-15-2006, 06:14 PM
I hate to say it but LTR shocks are pretty damn good. I adjusted ours, took all the preload out, compression all the way soft and rebound all the way out. And then proceded to slam the bike through anything I could and it never skipped a beat. No, its not as good as my PEP Honda. But they are great from the factory. But I guess the LTR will get PEPs as well, darn.:macho