PDA

View Full Version : skidplates and long travel linkage

scott84
05-14-2006, 12:48 PM
What does everyone do if you are running long travel linkage that hangs lower than the stock. Do you modify your skidplate, or are there skidplates on the market that allow a lower linkage drop.

Please post your remedies for protecting the linkage. If there are any companies that make a skidplate that allows the use of long travel linkage please let me know.

I have a 2006 trx450er with Elka's pro dual link. It seems to hang down about 2 inches lower than stock. I race cross country, so I need all the protection I can get.

Thanks for the info, Scott

Brad77
05-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey Scott

You should post a pic of your skidplate setup. I liked the idea that you came up with.

tar
05-14-2006, 01:22 PM
I think most people just cut a hole in the skid where the linkage is but you could probably fabricate something if you know how to weld.

trx400exxracer
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Brad, my setup worked O.K. for a while. I was using spacers to drop the skidplate, but the pressure was going to the spacers , causing the welds to break. It would work better if I could bolt it flush with the swingarm, then the pressure wouldn't go to one particular point. I would really like to find an aftermarket skid that would work. My other alternative is to lengthen the part that drops down to protect the linkage.
(I just realized that I am posting on my brother's username)

-Scott84

EDIT: I dont claim him:huh

JW450R1
05-14-2006, 06:49 PM
i have and elka dual rate shock and linkage.i had a prm .250 on the rear.now it will no fit.so i am making it work.i cut out the center box and i am weilding flat stock 1/4 inch aluminun to the box and making it about 1.1/8 lower so the linkage will clear the skid plate.i really think it will work.i am cutting out the flat stock tommorrow and will work on weilding it to gether in a few days.i will get some pics in a few days.

trx400exxracer
05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
JW450R1,

Yes, we took some measurements and decided that is what to do. We are trying to find someone with a TIG that can do the job for us.

We actually measured between 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 clearance to clear the linkage. Of course this is with the Moose skid plate.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out.