PDA

View Full Version : Getting the barrings out now??

hondachick400ex
05-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I would like to thank those here who advised me on how to get that nut off of the axle in my last post.
I now have the carrier out and all the nasty chewed up barrings can easliy be seen. It was suggested to get a whole new carrier with the barrings in it in an aftermarket part. I ain't sure I want the after market on this picitular part though, I have heard they tend to put you right back in the garage doing it all over again.
These barrings appear to be pressed in.... Is there a way I can get them out myself so that I can see if I need that more expensive part in the middle of the carrier (#2 in honda diagram of Carrier parts) I know if I just take it to Honda they'll say the whole thing needs replacing when in fact it probably don't.
So how do you guys deal with your barrings? I thought maybe heating up the carrier in the oven or something may cause the carrier to expand allowing the barrings to come out easier with a punch?
Providing I do get them out Can I put the barrings back in myself or will this have to be done on a press for percision?
TY for any answersdiagram link (http://www.parkwaycycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp)

cdrookie
05-14-2006, 10:12 AM
it's not that hard to do.just use a long punch and a BFH to knock the bearings out. hit one side then the other of the bearing so you don't end up cocking the bearing and breaking the case. the piece in the middle is just a "spacer" so you can't tighten the axle nuts so hard it puts too much pressure on the bearings. get new bearings and seals and just tap them in place. wouldn't recommend getting bearings from the local dealership. try ebay or a local bearing supplier. new ones should be around $15 a piece.

aftermarket carriers are better than the stockers for several reasons. mainly cause they have grease fittings. number 1 cause of bearing failure is lack of lube in the bearing. water and junk gets in the housing from the seals wearing, where as if there was grease in there...there's 2 main kinds of carriers, tapered bearing(like front wheel bearings on a car) and dual row, which have 4 stock type bearings in there. either will work better than stock.

patches85
05-14-2006, 10:29 AM
You can get a new twin row carrier off of ebay for like $130. I have one with a zerk fitting and it works great.

hondachick400ex
05-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey you guys I just wanted to say Thanks a bunch for the replys I really appriciate it. This is one of the nicer forums I have seen. I like it here, Thank you :D

400exrider26
05-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Not to but into this forum but what are the main diffrences in the 2 types of carriers? (dual/twin or tapered) Do one of the types do something better then the other? Which one would last the longest and be the most realiable? thanks alot

cdrookie
05-14-2006, 02:41 PM
if you keep both types greased and the axle nuts properly torqued they'll both last a long time. the tapered bearings are more sensitive to pressure, tighten the axle nut too tight and they could fail.

prepracing
05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
if you keep both types greased and the axle nuts properly torqued they'll both last a long time. the tapered bearings are more sensitive to pressure, tighten the axle nut too tight and they could fail.

a tapered bearing is an open bearing that you have to grease regurlarly ( you would not want this for XC riding ), the dual row bearings are a sealed bearing that is double width of a stock bearing ( I have never seen one that actually has 4 single row bearings in it ). The dual row bearing carriers, are strong and will outlast either stock or tapered just because of the larger bearing. And yes if you heat up your old bearings they come out much easier. And the trick for putting them back in is make sure your carrier is nice and clean, put in the freezer long enough to get good and cold. Pull it out grease the center spacer real well and put it back in, then your bearing should drop right in. The cold will expand the carrier a little and when it goes back to normal temp it shrinks back and the bearings are tight .

cdrookie
05-14-2006, 04:04 PM
the cold will shrink the carrier not expand it, but freezing stuff only shrinks it a few tenths where as heating it will expand it a few thousadths.

cannondales have 4 single row bearings in their carriers. and if the seals are good a tapered bearing carrier will last just as long as a dual row. any sealed bearing should have the seal removed and put more grease in it since, from the factory, little was applied.

BORY
05-15-2006, 05:09 AM
im gonna try to get them out also ill let u guys know how it comes out.

hondachick400ex
05-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Bory, you having rear end problems also? Well to compleat my story I couldn't get the barrings out. I heated the carrier in the oven for a while and to no avail. It didn't help that I had no assistance from the bitter half lol. So I am taking it to a shop, Yeah it's gonna run me about 100.00 but I wont have ruined the carrier this way.
I should probably make a new topic for this but I have a 2001 400ex and also a 2005 400ex and the 2001 just had rings a pistion done. It was bored 2 over. (same machine with rear axle issue) you would think that the new machine which hasn't really been rode much more than to break it in would have better performance. How ever it's a little sluggish starting out and top end doesn't even come close to the 2001. Why? What can I do to get more snap outta this new one?

cdrookie
05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
$100!! better off getting an aftermarket carrier for another $50! just use a bigger hammer to knock them out.

BORY
05-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by hondachick400ex
Bory, you having rear end problems also? Well to compleat my story I couldn't get the barrings out. I heated the carrier in the oven for a while and to no avail. It didn't help that I had no assistance from the bitter half lol. So I am taking it to a shop, Yeah it's gonna run me about 100.00 but I wont have ruined the carrier this way.
I should probably make a new topic for this but I have a 2001 400ex and also a 2005 400ex and the 2001 just had rings a pistion done. It was bored 2 over. (same machine with rear axle issue) you would think that the new machine which hasn't really been rode much more than to break it in would have better performance. How ever it's a little sluggish starting out and top end doesn't even come close to the 2001. Why? What can I do to get more snap outta this new one?
b4 i did my rebuild i had a k&n filter w/o the lid yoshi full exhaust and i jetted the carb and i loved it it pulled hard. IMO that is a good start.

BORY
05-15-2006, 07:55 PM
i had an easy time getting them out compared to what ppl say that its hell. i had an older flat hed screwdriver bent a little in the middle and the end of the tip bent a little helps. bang that between the bearing and spacer both sides now once there away from the spacer as much as u can get them stand it up and bang from on end the bearing on the otherside out and then repeat for other side the new ones are ready to install. i used the spacer to bang the new one in on one side. i ONLY want to hit the outer race!!!!bang all the way down insert the spacer and use a bigger socket now then ur done. peice of cake took me maybe 30 mins. GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!

dragracer101
05-15-2006, 08:23 PM
i would go with the lonestar carrier....thats wat i got for my old 300ex and it worked like a charm...buts its opinion on wat you want to get

05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
i had trouble getting ym bearings out too on all of mine but if you keep working at it you can get them. $100 to getthes ebearings out fro ma machine shop? you are getting screwed. I would just get an aftermarket carrier. thats what i did

Lablatt
05-19-2006, 04:55 PM
36 bucks is all it cost me from my local honda dealership to remove the rear axle and carrier. My swingarm is getting powdercoated, and once its done, Ill gladly spend another 36 bucks for them to put it back together. 35 bucks from the same dealership for new barrings for the carrier also, those are being installed once I take it in to be put back together.

hondachick400ex
06-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey You Guys.
I would like to thank you for all your helpfull suggestions.
Lablatt Wow you either got a cheep honda delar or an honest one more than likely lol. I took my carrier in to them and got it back for 141.00 and now my left seal don't even stay in the carrier so I am presuming it isn't going to last to long. If it makes it through this season I'll be happy though. They called me when I was ready to come pick it up and told me that the seal on one side wouldn't seat correctly and that my carrier was probably slightly warpped and I would still have to pay the 141.00 but they could put my into a new one for 350.00. I politly told them that I knew I could get a lonestar for 150.00 and should of just did that in the first place.
But what matters is the machine is back on the trails and doing great. Thanks guys :D

Lablatt
06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow.. talk about sticking it to ya!
I guess the main thing is, your out enjoying your quad now, Im still waiting on my powdercoat to be finished. I guess thats what I get for doing business with a "shady" company.