PDA

View Full Version : rear axle nut?

hondachick400ex
05-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Can't get rear axle nut off next to disk brake. There appears to be 3 nuts to take off here on this side. According to Honda one is a clip (also shown as item 11 in honda diagram). I Can not figure out how to get to this so called clip. :confused:
The last time I was riding the machine I noticed metal shavings below the chain and a horrible squeling grind coming from the region of the swing arm. I presume this is due to bad barrings??:confused:
Any assisitance would be greatly appriciated TY

killed300ex
05-14-2006, 05:36 AM
you have to loosen the nut up first to expose the clip. They are reverse threads and are extremly tight. Once you get the nut loosened you have to thread the nut in towards the bearing carrier and expose the clip, take the clip off and than you should be able to take the rest apart easily.
Hope that helps

hondachick400ex
05-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Killed 300 ex, Thank you so much for your help. I did get that nut turned out to expose that clip. Tight wasn't the word for it ...... It took me and my bitter half together to work it out far enough to expose that clip. You mentioned turning it in twords the carrier? We kind of did it the other way and turned it out, hope we didn't ruine the nuts.
I haven't taken apart a rear axle before on my machines so this was very interesting. I have the carrier out and it looks to me as thought the barrings are pressed into the carrier. This would indicate I have to take the carrier and all into someplace like Honda to get them replaced?

BlackTrx440ex
05-14-2006, 08:10 AM
just buy a lonestar axle carrier its like 160 bucks and i love mine

400EXtreme
05-14-2006, 09:48 AM
yea just buy a lonestar carrier its so worth it. It has regreasble fittings and everything. Same thing happened to me.

hpinitromt
05-15-2006, 05:39 AM
this just recently happened to me also, it was the bearings,
but i work at a honda dealership and i just brought my stock carrier to them, but the lonestar carriers are sweet and definitely worth the money, pick one up if you can, it will outlast your quad!