PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r is leaking coolant?

Chris S.
05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
I just had the HRC kit installed last week and today I started it up for the first time to load in my trailer and after I turned it off it was leaking coolant from the water pump out the black drain hose. The level in the reservoir under the hood is below the lower line. It was still dripping coolant 2 hours later. What could have caused this to happen? I was thinking the dealer that put the HRC kit in must of over added coolant but the level in the reservoir doesn't support that. I never warmed the motor up completely either. Any ideas anyone?

BSTURDIVANT
05-13-2006, 07:23 PM
HRC installation doesn't require coolant draining- probably just seal going bad.

Chris S.
05-13-2006, 07:32 PM
This quad doesn't even have a half tank of gas through it yet. I hope seals aren't going bad already. That wouldn't be something my yamaha and suzuki friends need to know.

BSTURDIVANT
05-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Take it for a ride and see if it may just need to be "seated"- some
of the seals have minute scratches on the ceramic seat and will fill in with carbon from the seal!

GIXXER1KR
05-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Just ride it and keep an eye on the coolant overflow.If it is leaking **** happens and honda will take care of you!So dont worry!!

Chris S.
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Well this problem has gotten much worse! It stopped leaking and I added coolant to the proper level and continued riding. It started leaking oil from a hole in the head on the right side just above the head gasket. It then became very hard to start and then after awhile the red light came on. After letting it cool it wouldn't even crank. The starter just didn't have enough guts. I think this motor is trashed. When I was driving it, it was awesome though. My first time riding with the Hrc kit and it flies and I wasn't even riding hard. I sure hope honda will put a new motor in there for me and not try to salvage this one. I think the water pump wasn't working cause the in inlet hose to pump was cold and the return was very hot. Also there was inconsistent chatter noise that sounds like plastic pieces rattling, so I think maybe the impeller was jammed or broken. This motor overheated and it hasn't even been broke in yet. So that's kind of scary. Sorry so long I am just frustrated with this thing. New machine and all these problems, not what I expect from Honda!

Jonas
05-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Take a deep breath guy. Your motor is probably not trashed ok, just take is back to the dealer and have them check it out. I'm sure it is something simple. If the motor won't turn over any more it may have been improper assembly of the decompression arm when installing the HRC kit. I wouldn't freak just take it back and have them go throught it. If it makes you feel better just have them show you what happened after they figure it out. That's what your warranty is for. It is most likely something simple.

jkirk141
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
if i was you i would just give me the motor and get u a new one