PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Mods

450RXR
05-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a 05 450r with a stage 1 jet kit in it an want a little more get up an go! I have stage 2 as well but i need 2 know what you can do to your air box to get better flow foe the bigger jets. It has a fmf factory exaust an a stage 1 kit so what can I do ?

450rrider69
05-13-2006, 03:15 PM
u can take the lid off, u can cut the lid like the hrc, or u can drill holes in the box and put breather vents in.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:16 PM
with a stage 1 that might be too much air if your goin with a stage 2 then you can pretty much do what u want with the air box, heres mine....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/sik450r/Openairbox.jpg

eganracing
05-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by wanna_be_ridn
with a stage 1 that might be too much air if your goin with a stage 2 then you can pretty much do what u want with the air box, heres mine....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/sik450r/Openairbox.jpg

that looks a little overkill.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:24 PM
whys that, more air, more power right? if u got good exhaust, good air filter, and a jet kit, the more air u get in the power u can get out....

eganracing
05-13-2006, 11:31 PM
carb and head can only flow so much and unless your engine is able to drain the airboss than its unecessary. if it was necessary then the pros would be running some kind of setup like that.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:32 PM
i have seen many desert quads with setups like this.... so im not the only one

eganracing
05-13-2006, 11:34 PM
i still think its overkill and it looks like it would get dirty faster than if it was in a box. just my opinion man.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:36 PM
ya for sure its all about rider preference. thats how i like it out here in the desert, i dont know if it gets dirty faster or not never really took the time to tell the diff i just always cleaned it after every good ride.

eganracing
05-13-2006, 11:43 PM
sure wish i lived closer to the desert. best kind of riding in my opinion. its fast, challenging and just plain fun. do u ride solo or in groups? if solo than i can understand your mod and y it wouldnt get dirtyer but i normally ride in large groups when in the desert. i run a K&N and when that thing dosent have a airbox cover or a prefilter the thing just gets cloged in a heart beat but with a airbox its alright.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:47 PM
im in ironman amatuer class, race the entire race with just 1 rider, first year they have had an actual ironman class. i havent got to race a BITD race this year yet cuz of engine probs and did a few mx and worcs races. ya i dont care for k&n do to the fact that there a paper filter, and water and paper dont mix lol i havent had any problems with air filter really, accept for the bolt coming undone and the nut sucked into the motor and blew it up lol that was before the airbox came off though, and twin air said for being a product defect that they hafta warrenty it, so that meant new top end, piston, cylinder, head.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:49 PM
one funny thing about our group is it seems like we are never all running at the same time, somebody will be broke down then get theres fixed and somebody elses will break down, so ya we pretty much ride solo LOL!!!! it sucks its kind of a never ending cycle

eganracing
05-13-2006, 11:51 PM
didnt know u raced. good thing they warrentyed your engine. i would have been very pissed off.

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:53 PM
yepers, and yes i was flat out pissed off when it happened, called up twin air told em what happened, they said send in the entire air filter cage, setup, mount all that good stuff, and they would determine if it was product defect or not and if so then they would have to warrenty it and pay to have the engine rebuild to the state it was in when it blew.

eganracing
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
u riden/ raced in the mojave?

wanna_be_ridn
05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
im still down, prolly another 2 weeks on my motor :grr:

eganracing
05-14-2006, 12:00 AM
bummer. sorry for hijacking the thread 450rxr. didnt mean to take it over.