PDA

View Full Version : Laws?

Lax
05-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Hey, I have a couple of questions about the law and ATVing. In NY.

My friend told me the other day, that the trails by were he lives is starting to have cops on 400ex's patrol them. I dont usually ride over there, I ride in another part of town.

If the cops happened to "Catch" me riding on the old railroad track, what would be the best thing to do and the consquences that follow?

Thanks so much

05-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Well there on 400es and you have a 06 450r, pretend you dont see them and just ride at you own pase.

Hon300ex
05-13-2006, 07:32 AM
if they flat out see you and you see them, i would stop and start talkin to them like there just another atv rider on the trail. if you see them out of the corner of your eye and your by other trails...... i hate to say it but i wouldnt stop....:ermm:

05-13-2006, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hon300ex
[B]if they flat out see you and you see them, i would stop and start talkin to them like there just another atv rider on the trail. if you see them out of the corner of your eye and your by other trails...... i hate to say it but i wouldnt stop....:ermm:

Yea that is what i meant and would do.

rmz250
05-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey i'm pretty local to you. They usually are on sportsmans. You gotta have reg, insurance, and a safety course to ride on public land. The cops are a-holes too.Last year my quad was impounded just for putting down the road to get to a trail and I had everything.

400exrida06
05-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Where I live the cops arent to bad, i've been driving down the road and have seen them and all they do is wave, there was this one time i was sitting at a baseball diamond and one rolled up and asked for my insurance and stuff and i didnt have it on me and he took my name and phone number and ended up letting me off with just a warning. In ontario my one friends Uncles a cop and he said there not supposed to chase people on cops if they try and outrun you, all they can do is follow you, so just make sure you dont go straight home like my one friend did lol, cause he ended up getting a ticket and some points.

LSMX450r
05-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Did u know that in louisville ky, it is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket:blah:

Hon300ex
05-13-2006, 05:48 PM
it is also illegal to drop an elephant out of a airplane in alaksa.

that really makes me wonder. someone had to do that for that law to become illegal because otherwise, nobody would think of it.:huh

ak_stick
05-13-2006, 05:54 PM
moose not elephant.

Why do you guys insist on riding illegaly? Thats the reason we have a bad image, because you guys know your wrong, and you continue to do it.

and I'll bet money that atleast one of you trys to defend this with the whole, I dont have anywhere to ride legaly/cant get to where it is, to justify it.

ilpadrino113
05-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Why do you guys insist on riding illegaly? Thats the reason we have a bad image, because you guys know your wrong, and you continue to do it.

I know you lice in alaska and have plenty of places to ride. In NY in in Cortland county they are illegal everywhere except your own land, and land that you get personal permission to ride on. There are 0 public trails or even privately owned trails for the public to ride on. If there is an old set of rail road tracks that aren't being used anyway, y not ride on them? i would never tyear through a farmers field or someones lawn, but if the trail is there, and there's no posted sign, y not?

I never stop for the cops, and i've never been caught. I had a friend on a raptor who stopped for a cop car, the fuzz doens't have wheelers around here, and he wasn't even on the road. He was on an access road, and farmer didn't even care that he was using it. but the cop inpounded his wheeler anyway and gave him a ticket. i wanna ride but don't own acres of land to make trails. That's y we ride illegally, if there's a better solution lets here it.

ak_stick
05-13-2006, 06:05 PM
so that makes it ok to break the law?

PolarisRider06
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
he's not saying that its ok to break the law... its just his only solution to get any trail riding in without having to haul his wheeler great distances to ride. personally i wouldn't be able to stand having to continuosly load and unload my wheeler to go riding its way more satisfying to be able to just jump on and go if you want to ride than have to plan stuff out ahead of time and make sure you have the extra hour to drive to where you go riding and the money for gas in your truck and all of that other BS.... personally i think that if you are riding responsibly and within your abilities, respecting other peoples property (yards and fields) and sticking to ditches, trails, old low use roads they shouldn't be punished. the ditches are owned by the state or county depending on what type of road its along and in minnesota the people who own the land that starts on top of the outside bank cannot legally do anything to block the ditch or prevent the use of it, be it by quads, sleds, dirtbikes, pedalbike, horses or anything else.... then again they are all legal to ride to...

i will say though that if i was in Lax's position (or any of the other guys) i would do the exact same thing and i bet you would to if there was no where near you to ride and you wanted to ride

ak_stick
05-13-2006, 06:37 PM
If you'd like to bet, I'd love to take your money.

I agree, but what I think and what is legal are two very different things.

Yes, your right, I'm very lucky that I have a ton of land I can ride on. But most of it is out of the way, and takes some time to get to. And I do go out of my way to stay out of area's I cant ride at, because we have to deal with enough people who dont like ATV's that we dont need to go stirring up anything by riding where we cant.

Responsible ownership, its comes with buying the quad.

05-13-2006, 07:01 PM
when i was in alaska there were quads and bikes everywhere, mainly ute's but they were still driving on and off the road, prolly in illegal land, and i saw like one cop while i was in alaska

you'd be driving illegally too if there was no where to ride!

i love seeing trails on the side of the road when ur going down the road for somewhere, and ur like, dam, i'd love to go up there, but then again, you dont know if the cops of the ppl that owns that land would call the cops...

basically, just outrun the cops, your bike is faster, but if you look right at them, i would just go over (pretend u dont know their cops) and be like, hey whats up. if they ask u some questions, like, did you knwo this land is illegal to ride on? you could just be like, no, i've never heard that, ppl ride here all the time so i figured it was legal too

its just the easy way to get out of things. if they tell you to stop riding there, i would def. stop

other then that, theres nothing much you can do

ak_stick
05-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Actualy, its legal to ride on the side of the road in most places outside of anchorage, and even on the road in many places...

Do people ride in illegal land? Yes, thats part of the reason ATV's have been getting more and more laws passed against them. And no, I would not be riding illegaly, I take the time to drive to where I can ride. Even if it is further than I'd like.

JOEX
05-13-2006, 07:45 PM
For those of you who complain about the laws and lack of riding areas in your state can either get involved with changing the laws, move to another state or find another hobby. It depends on how important riding is to you and what you're willing to do to riding legally.

For me it's a minimum 45 minutes driving time to the nearest riding area.

LittleMissE
05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
I totally agree with JOEX!!!! I think that if people want to complain so much that they need to move to a place where they can ride. Because when people ride where they arent suppose to the cops and people that vote take more riding places away!!! So thanks to all of you who ride illegally all the time. By the way you guys who do ride where your not suppose to is what makes it so hard for us to get respect from people who dont ride or dont like people who do. Sorry but if you want to ride you should go somewhere its aloud or not have a quad at all. But thats just my opinion!!!!!!! So please quit riding where your not suppose to and maybe you would get trails around you!!!

<DRS>GPF
05-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
if they flat out see you and you see them, i would stop and start talkin to them like there just another atv rider on the trail. if you see them out of the corner of your eye and your by other trails...... i hate to say it but i wouldnt stop....:ermm:

basic law of the land..

just ride like you have some sense and respect peoples properties and usually you wont have any problems..

NorCalRacer
05-14-2006, 10:01 AM
If you can't ride, why buy a quad? I grew up on 40 acres and could always ride as much as I wanted, when I moved I got rid of my bikes. The nearest area is 10 miles away and it is gated ILLEGALY all summer. The county refuses to remove an unlawful gate. The other riding are is 60 miles and is also closed in the winter. I spent some careful consideration before buying my ATK and never would of bought it if I thought that I would have to break the law just to ride it. I am not saying you shouldn't have the right to own a quad, but not until you can use it responsibly, which means obeying all laws, no matter how ridiculous.
BTW, I know ALL the cops in my town and am a good 'ole boy around here and can get away with almost anything, but I keep my quad off the roads out of respect for the other citizens of this area and also not to attract the tree-huggers attention so they can make more stupid laws. I agree with AK Stick, quit ruining it for the rest of us who do obey all the laws.

trx 200
05-14-2006, 10:06 AM
cops come after you, then you blaze some trails my friend...blaze some trails^_^ thats what i would do on a 450r lol

Holsh
05-14-2006, 11:38 AM
They aren't that bad here most of the time. At least they don't care if me and a few of my friends ride to school with our atvs and just don't go riding alot threw town afterwards.:D

trx 200
05-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Holsh
They aren't that bad here most of the time. At least they don't care if me and a few of my friends ride to school with our atvs and just don't go riding alot threw town afterwards.:D

you get to ride ur quad to school...FU!!! lol kidding. i sure would love to ride mine to school, but it would be stolen becasue it doesnt take a key. We had ignition problems, so we ripped out the ignition and put a lightswitch in lol

PolarisRider06
05-14-2006, 02:29 PM
me and some of my friends ride to school off and on to.... and i have a few friends who have drove tractors to school before just for the heck of it. the cops dont say a whole lot about driving through town if you just go straight to school or straight to the gas station but if you ride all over the place they get mad.

Which 450?
05-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ak_stick
so that makes it ok to break the law?

if you were to have to move next door to him, you would go riding on the same trails he does.

LittleMissE
05-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Holsh

I wish I could ride my ATV to school!!!!

ilpadrino113
05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
The nearest legal riding area is around 2-3 hours away, and that's just the nearest one not the best. With gas prices now a days, i'd just as soon ride illegally. I'm not tearing anything up, i ride respectfully, so i'm not physically hurting anyone. I'm not gonna sue someone for riding on the land, it's my own fault if i get hurt, and if you lived out here u would do the same thing. and there aren't even any cops on quads around here, so all i have to do is go down a trail and they can't go after yu.

ak_stick
05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
if you were to have to move next door to him, you would go riding on the same trails he does.

Really? I didn't know you knew me better than I knew myself. Just FYI, I have a chance to ride on illegal trails every day when I'm home, and have thus far not, so I dont see why I'd start now.

Like I said, I didn't know that because its out of my way it makes it ok to break the law.

ilpadrino113
05-15-2006, 03:36 PM
first of all a 4 hour drive to a decent riding spot is a lot more than "a little out of the way," and second i never condoned breaking the law. i take full responsibility for my actions and if i get caught so be it, i'll face the music. I would just rather take a chance at getting caught than not riding at all, or riding once a month on legal trails.