PDA

View Full Version : need help removing head....

nowukno
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Im going to be sending off my head for port/polishing and new kibblewhite valves & springs. I wanted to take my head off myself cause i really don't trust my local honda shop anymore (long story). How difficult is it? Can someone please post how to remove the head. Thanks

tucson450r
05-12-2006, 09:16 AM
It is not real hard to do. All you have to do is remove the four bolts holding the valve cover on, then loosen the bolts holing the cam gear on. Remove the tension on the cam chain with the chain tensioner. Remove the bolts holding the cam gear now. Then take the four bolts out that hold the cage for the cam and remove the cam and holder. Then brake the torgue on the four head bolts in a criss cross pattern to keep from warping the head. There are also one or two bolts down insde where the cam chain passes thru the head that need to be removed also. You need to remove the thermostat housing and coolant lines running to the head. Do not pry the head up with a screwdriver!!! Bump it with a dead blow hammer LIGHTLY and it should come right off. Remember to get a neww head gasket from your dealer for the reinstall. While the head is out for port and plosh go ahead and get a factory service manual on order. You will need this for your torque specs and timing sequence. I have done this a couple of times it is really easy and pretty well evident how to do it. It is the best mod I have done yet.

nowukno
05-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks alot! I have been getting insturctions/advice/tips from other sites also. I figure with all of that , a honda service manual and me just taking my time , i should be ok.