PDA

View Full Version : new 416 rebuild wont start!!!

beaker1214
05-11-2006, 09:57 PM
well i just got my motor back from getting borred and assembled. I put it all in and tried to start it and it just turns over an it tries to hit but it wont run. so I checked the spark, got spark, then checked the carb and there is fuel in the bowl so its getting fuel. The only thing i can figure is that the timing chain is 180 off, basicaly i was wondering if there was anything else i should check any help would be great!!!

DieselBoy
05-11-2006, 10:24 PM
The honda 400ex has a "ghost spark" or it may have another term, but anyway your CDI could have taken a dump. Mine won't spark now, it ran great after the rebuild but shortly after the spark disapeared. so I need a stator/pickup coil (i'm pretty darn sure), I would check to see if the timing marks are all lined up correctly, also if you have the stock cam make sure the plunger and spring are in the head, otherwise it won't run. Good luck.

beaker1214
05-12-2006, 11:10 AM
yeah well im going to check the timing to see if its right as as soon as i can but that is probably what it is.

GPracer2500
05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
The timing might be off but it's impossible to be 180deg off. The cam spins at half the speed of the crank. So, if your at TDC on the compression stroke and you spin the crank 360 deg than the cam will spin 180 deg. At that point you'd be at TDC on the exhaust stroke. Remember there are two different TDCs. One is on the exhaust stroke, the other is on the compression stroke. If you orient the cam 180 degrees from where it is now, then you've simply flip-flopped the two TDCs--and the engine won't know the difference.

JOEX
05-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Stock cam? If so did the decompression spring and plunger get put back in?