PDA

View Full Version : best wieght training for mx?

blakefoote
05-11-2006, 09:04 PM
what is the best wieght training for MX type riding?...I have started my 06 season pretty good but have been getting arm pump alot...and my thumb gets tired...what kind of work-outs should i be doin to prevent this???:ermm:

Factory 450r
05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I think I have heard that taking whey protein helps reduce arm pump but not quite sure, maybe someone else can verify this.

I know that I have a few friends that swear up and down by popping a couple bayer aspirin, and since aspirin thins the blood, that it reduces arm pump.

Hope this helps you, but I myself must be lucky because I never get arm pump:D

05-11-2006, 11:34 PM
take some aspirin or ibuprofen before the race

honduh440
05-11-2006, 11:53 PM
ive done about everything in the book on trying to get rid of arm pump. they all work to an extent but the best thing is to just be HEALTHY. get a gym membership and just work on doing cardio machines. i started out just ridding the stationary bike 4 times a week for an hour each time and then add more and more as time goes on. it really does take a ton of dedication to keep going to the gym but i guarantee 2 months of working out and u will ride ur race at 100% all 5 laps

Nick110
05-12-2006, 04:34 AM
The best work out is with Low weight and More reps. This creates lean muscles.

Pop some asprin like everyone said before. Also eat a few bananas. Bananas have potassium which does something with Folic Acid in your body. (Dont really know what it does but it works).

You can try this site too. This work out actually helps but it is hard.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2006/armpump/

Sjorge450R
05-12-2006, 04:40 AM
as far as im aware, the pain killers slow down your reflexes....:confused:

supafasst426ex
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
i think that the aspirin would work because i used to take like 2 bfore a football game and it worked much better.

05-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
as far as im aware, the pain killers slow down your reflexes....:confused: HAHA you think advil is a pain killer?!

KWAD GAWD
05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
as far as im aware, the pain killers slow down your reflexes....:confused:
Asprin and Ibuprofen are NOT pain killers. Advil is Ibuprofen, and Ibuprofen is a pain reliever and an anti-inflammitory.

Pain killers are addictive opiate drugs like vicoden, percoset, darvoset, Tylenol w/codeine, hyrdocodone and those drugs which require a prescription. They are not good to take before you ride or race.

Creatine pills before you ride can help, drink tons of water, maybe 2 Advil wouldn't hurt. Use those little $5 forearm exercisers at night when you're watching TV - do them every night, both arms. Squeeze fast until your arm pumps up. Then stop & rest... do it again. Squeeze slow reps, until you can't do it any more. I mean like 40-50 times, not 7 or 8. Do this every single night and your arms won't pump up. You also have to be in good cardio shape too.. jog, ride mtn bikes. It's a combo of things, it takes dedication.

zeppelin
05-12-2006, 03:59 PM
i have had a battle with arm pump forever but ive learned a few tricks to cope with it. the easiest thing to do is to take no more than 2 asprin beore you ride, in my personal experiences asprin worked better than ibuprofin. the second this is to do a hard ride the day before the race and ride though as much of your pain ful arm pump as you can. this will enlarge your blood vessles for a day or so and prevent it from happening. the third is to use what kwad gawd was talking about, those little handle things with springs. you want to make sure you get a full squeeze each time, pulling it all the way in and leting it all the way out, and realisticly you want to get closer to 70 reps yes it will hurt but as long as you can pull the handle in you need to keep it going. also i would NOT do this every day, give you body a chance to catch up and rebuiled.

Warnerade
05-12-2006, 04:03 PM
cardio workouts...

blakefoote
05-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
cardio workouts...

like.............

Warnerade
05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
self gratification

blakefoote
05-12-2006, 04:53 PM
self gratification

what kinds os Cardio Work outs.......

NacsMXer
05-12-2006, 05:13 PM
self gratification

LOL, ya know, there's actually some truth to that. In my Primary Health Care class last semester my teacher mentioned that it has been proven to lessen your risk for heart disease later in life, not to mention greatly reducing your risk for prostate cancer as well......food for thought haha :p

NacsMXer
05-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
what kinds os Cardio Work outs.......

Anything that gets your heart rate at a sustained level for at least 20 minutes each day. Jumping jacks, jogging, running, bike riding, etc. I ride my BMX bike for 2 hours every other day when I have a chance. The fact that it does not have multiple gears makes you have to try harder for a longer period of time, definitely a plus for endurance. I also like riding my bike because I really enjoy it, and it is a low impact workout on the joints.

I remember when I first started, I would go out for long rides and feel like I was going to puke. After a while, you notice that you can keep riding harder and longer than ever before. At that point, you know you are making progress towards your endurance goal.