PDA

View Full Version : replacing cam chain question

hondarider2006
05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone, friend of mine blew his cam chain last night....and we were wondering if we will need to split the cases to replace it? It looks like we shouldn't have to....but just want to make sure. Thanks!

JOEX
05-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
Hey everyone, friend of mine blew his cam chain last night....and we were wondering if we will need to split the cases to replace it? It looks like we shouldn't have to....but just want to make sure. Thanks!
You don't need to split the cases but the clutch assembly does need to be removed.

416exmx
05-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
You don't need to split the cases but the clutch assembly does need to be removed.

Yep.

Ive got one settin the shop waiting on a cam chain also. This guy was runnin down the road wide open when the chain broke. Im wonderin if the piston tagged a valve or if they got closed in time. I guess I'll find out. This chain broke on dead bottom and didnt get caught up allowing the quad to go ahead and roll.

hondarider2006
05-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
Yep.

Ive got one settin the shop waiting on a cam chain also. This guy was runnin down the road wide open when the chain broke. Im wonderin if the piston tagged a valve or if they got closed in time. I guess I'll find out. This chain broke on dead bottom and didnt get caught up allowing the quad to go ahead and roll.

Yeah he got lucky also...and didn't loose any valves. Thanks for the replys guys!