PDA

View Full Version : question for megamax exhaust

michael250
05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
This weekend im goin ridin and i decided im gonna run my pipe with no discs just strait open. is that alright for . it wont like break anything right?thanks

ryanh250ex
05-12-2006, 09:51 AM
aside from incorrect jetting and pissing off everyone around you, no, no problems whatsoever :rolleyes:

michael250
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
what are u talkin bout pissin ppl off?

ryanh250ex
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by michael250
what are u talkin bout pissin ppl off? what did i ever do to you?

the noise... discs are there for noise suppression and to change the amount of backpressure ....

why would you want to run like that anyways

michael250
05-12-2006, 02:15 PM
well why not run it that way you said it wouldnt do anything. what is back pressure?(im new to this)

ryanh250ex
05-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by michael250
well why not run it that way you said it wouldnt do anything. what is back pressure?(im new to this)

oh boy :rolleyes:

i was being sarcastic about it not doing anything. I would have figured you would have picked up on it via the rolling eyes smiley, but nooo, that would only be the rational thing to think. Do you ride the short bus to school?

Anyways...

the megaPOS (sorry, megamax) exhaust relies on discs. the discs can be added or removed as necessary to change the power curve and sound levels. it changes both via backpressure.

the definition of backpressure is pretty self-explanatory- it is the amount of pressure that doesnt want to flow through. i guess you could call it the resistance of airflow.

lots of backpressure means you'll have lots of low end torque, but you wont have much for top end.

no backpressure translates into a crappy low end but it will do well on top end.

for max performance you need SOME level of backpressure, otherwise you'll burn up exhaust valves.

now in the process of messing around with the amount of discs, while affecting backpressure, this will also affect your jetting. since you come off as a complete newbie and or retarded i guess you havent the faintest clue what jetting is. to sum it up, it is the way in which your carburetor is tuned to mix with the air in the combustion chamber. altering the flow of air both in and out , like a air filter, aftermarket exhaust, etc will mess with the jetting. for the motor to run properly the right amount of fuel needs to mix with the air. By removing all the discs, you are making it lean especially if your jetting is not set up to do this. lean, to sum it up, is VERY bad for your motor. it makes it run worse, and hotter. run it lean for long enough and you'll blow your junk up sooner or later.

sixer3
05-12-2006, 04:07 PM
why do you have to make fun of him, or his pipe....the mega max is a fine pipe, good price, not the best but by no means a pos......anyways...you tend to get more air through a pipe without disks which means you will need to add more fuel....you add more fuel by changing to bigger jets, as you remove disks you need bigger jets, as you add disks you will need smaller jets.

the disks also help with sounds, no disks will make the pipe very loud, sometimes a cool sound depending on the pipe....

a lot of disks make the pipe very quiet (muffled) also sometimes a cool sound....

most people tend to take as many disks as they can out while still obtaining an undisturbing sound they like..

good luck, running no disks will not hurt anything, adding jetting will not make you lose low end either it will only increase it or keep it the same

ryanh250ex
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by sixer3
why do you have to make fun of him, or his pipe....the mega max is a fine pipe, good price, not the best but by no means a pos......anyways...you tend to get more air through a pipe without disks which means you will need to add more fuel....you add more fuel by changing to bigger jets, as you remove disks you need bigger jets, as you add disks you will need smaller jets.

the disks also help with sounds, no disks will make the pipe very loud, sometimes a cool sound depending on the pipe....

a lot of disks make the pipe very quiet (muffled) also sometimes a cool sound....

most people tend to take as many disks as they can out while still obtaining an undisturbing sound they like..

good luck, running no disks will not hurt anything, adding jetting will not make you lose low end either it will only increase it or keep it the same

i was in a bad mood when i wrote the reply. meh.

i think it is important that to emphasize that the pipe will be very loud with no disks, and loud pipes are one of the leading reasons why riding areas get closed up.

michael250
05-12-2006, 04:39 PM
sixer3 why do you have to make fun of him, or his pipe....the mega max is a fine pipe, good price, not the best but by no means a pos......anyways...you tend to get more air through a pipe without disks which means you will need to add more fuel....you add more fuel by changing to bigger jets, as you remove disks you need bigger jets, as you add disks you will need smaller jets.

yea thanks well anyway thanks for the help i geuss i want be running it with no disc.

deathman53
05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
hmmm........my supertrapp works different. You add disc to make more top end and to lean out the mix, the less discs make low end and are richer. when you use a open end cap it makes more power than a max # of discs, but is louder. if you don't use discs and just have the end cap, you are gonna make alot of low end and run very rich, and it will be quiet. basically the more discs the louder, and open end caps are the loudest. All of this comes into power too of where it goes, the header, mid pipe, and silencer length are into factor too. Generally a longer head pipe makes low end, long mid makes mid-top and a short silencer makes low end and a long silencer makes top end. Pipe size and how is steps into diameter can affect this too.

scruff_mcruff
05-12-2006, 09:39 PM
obviously your the one riding the short bus with some of your statements. first off you will never burn exhaust valves by runninga motor and not having back pressure. i could run no exhaust straight out of the exhaust port and as long as its jetted properly, you will never burn an exhaust valve.

secondly you dont need back pressure on a four stroke. you need exhaust scavaging. thats why all the companies went away from the disc type mufflers. it was a cheap fix to get them quiet, now they have done their homework and come out with better stuff.

so next time you try to be a smartass and try and make new people look stupid, make sure what your saying has some truth to it and not some old wise tales.

Originally posted by ryanh250ex
oh boy :rolleyes:

i

05-13-2006, 12:58 AM
magamax is more expensive then HMF for 300ex!:huh

bwamos
05-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
magamax is more expensive then HMF for 300ex!:huh

MegaMax is a full exhaust system (header and silencer). The HMF you are talking about is a slip-on silencer only.

ryanh250ex
05-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by scruff_mcruff
[B]obviously your the one riding the short bus with some of your statements. first off you will never burn exhaust valves by runninga motor and not having back pressure. i could run no exhaust straight out of the exhaust port and as long as its jetted properly, you will never burn an exhaust valve.

secondly you dont need back pressure on a four stroke. you need exhaust scavaging. thats why all the companies went away from the disc type mufflers. it was a cheap fix to get them quiet, now they have done their homework and come out with better stuff.

if 4 strokes need no backpressure, why not run 3 inch piping? why not run no muffler and just run a resonator to muffle the sound? i cant wait to hear your explanation for this one, Mr. Facty McArgue :rolleyes:

exhaust scavenging is important, but exhaust VELOCITY is the name of the game. get those spent hydrocarbons out of there. this goes hand in hand with backpressure. Minimal backpressure is needed, but it is necessary nonetheless. You think they use that fiberglass in most aftermarket exhaust just for sound reduction? :rolleyes: please.

i'd love to see proof of your claims.

sixer3
05-13-2006, 08:39 PM
im not sure about brunging up an exhaust valve none the less....but running straight out of the exhaust ports from the head would hurt performance completely based on the velocity issues already mentions, although back pressure is not totally necessary on a four stroke it actually helps the exhaust out....i guess its ard to explain, running out of the ports will not burn up your valves but also wont improve performance(dont think that was even argued) but anyways

scruff_mcruff
05-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
if 4 strokes need no backpressure, why not run 3 inch piping? why not run no muffler and just run a resonator to muffle the sound? i cant wait to hear your explanation for this one, Mr. Facty McArgue :rolleyes:

exhaust scavenging is important, but exhaust VELOCITY is the name of the game. get those spent hydrocarbons out of there. this goes hand in hand with backpressure. Minimal backpressure is needed, but it is necessary nonetheless. You think they use that fiberglass in most aftermarket exhaust just for sound reduction? :rolleyes: please.

i'd love to see proof of your claims.

to your 3in piping ?, you answered it yourself in your 2nd paragraph. and id like to add that my WB pipe actually has a 3in megaphone going into the muffler, not the ideal setup but works ok.

scavenging is what creates velocity,but thats exhaust 101 stuff that you should have already picked up on. if back pressure was needed there would be some point in every 4stroke exhaust where the pipe is smaller than the exhaust port.

and as far as my "claims" just look at my race car. ive been doing this stuff with N/A hondas since you were in middle school. ive been running them with anywhere from 20-30" primaries and a collector for 7 years now. used every fuel and any additives you can think of, still have yet to burn up an exhaust valve. and seeing as how the same people that make vtec valves for the cars, make the valves in the honda atv lineup, its pretty safe to say you cant burn one up from "not having enough back pressure" as you said in your original post.

as i said before dont act like you know more or have more experience than someone with fewer posts when you have no truth to any of your claims:D have a nice day, hopefully you learn something new.

scruff_mcruff
05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by sixer3
im not sure about brunging up an exhaust valve none the less....but running straight out of the exhaust ports from the head would hurt performance completely based on the velocity issues already mentions, although back pressure is not totally necessary on a four stroke it actually helps the exhaust out....i guess its ard to explain, running out of the ports will not burn up your valves but also wont improve performance(dont think that was even argued) but anyways

i was using it as an example of how hard it would be to burn up exhaust valves, not even trying to say it would be a performance advantage. and from all the testing ive done with my 400 with discsand no discs and everything in between, the no disc setup would lift the front wheels harder than anything i tried with discs.
i wont go as far to put it on a dyno to find out what is actually the best, but the butt dyno and lap times arent lying to me.

ryanh250ex
05-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by scruff_mcruff
[B]to your 3in piping ?, you answered it yourself in your 2nd paragraph. and id like to add that my WB pipe actually has a 3in megaphone going into the muffler, not the ideal setup but works ok.

scavenging is what creates velocity,but thats exhaust 101 stuff that you should have already picked up on. if back pressure was needed there would be some point in every 4stroke exhaust where the pipe is smaller than the exhaust port.

and as far as my "claims" just look at my race car. ive been doing this stuff with N/A hondas since you were in middle school. ive been running them with anywhere from 20-30" primaries and a collector for 7 years now. used every fuel and any additives you can think of, still have yet to burn up an exhaust valve. and seeing as how the same people that make vtec valves for the cars, make the valves in the honda atv lineup, its pretty safe to say you cant burn one up from "not having enough back pressure" as you said in your original post.

scavenging creates velocity, but would you not agree that EVERYTHING in the exhaust affects velocity and in turn backpressure? the fiberglass packing , the material of the tubing in itself, the bends, the carbon and various junk that collects on the inside of the tubing itself, the core, etc etc?

comparing a 4 cyl race car to a single cylinder atv that doesnt necessarily see virtually nothing but idle and WOT like a race car would , to me is like comparing apples to oranges (barring the facts that both are hondas and 4-stroke), but if you never burned a valve yet, more power to you. then again this could all depend on alot of variables...such as how often you rebuild it, how many 1/4 passes it sees, etc etc. I wasn't born yesterday, and i have know better than to pull things out of my ***, i have done hours upon hours upon hours of reading, as well as detailed discussions with experienced 4 stroke techs. this is of course on top of my own first hand time with motors torn apart, from 2 stroke dirtbikes to Ford 302s.

dont act like you are the end-all be-all when it comes to motors. I have plenty of first-hand experience myself, and while i will admit i'm wrong when i'm wrong, i do feel i'm making some valid points.

Oh, i almost forgot to tell you, Elton John called, he wants his paint scheme back .

Cheers,
Ryan