PDA

View Full Version : Help with frame gusseting?

A A R O N
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I've read a few gusseting threads, but havn't ran across this. With the square tubed stock frame, is it necessary to put two gussets on each spot (like on the edges) instead of one in the middle? It seams like it would be, but if anybody had any real knowledge on the thought, i'd appreciate it.

A A R O N
05-11-2006, 06:22 PM

xx3003xrdrxx
05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Aaron , 2 would most likely be MUCH stronger. However , I very well could be mistaken.;)

Jester
05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
1 pc welded on both sides would more likely be more stronger than 2 welded on one side, only because you probably woln't be able to get in to weld the inside.

A A R O N
05-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Jester
1 pc welded on both sides would more likely be more stronger than 2 welded on one side, only because you probably woln't be able to get in to weld the inside.

I didn't take that into account. I just figured that a full weld on one side of each gusset would be enough. It is fused metal. Hmmmmm......anybody have their frame done a specific way, any problems with one way or the other?

gopher_6_9
05-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Single gusset, .25" would be great.

kustomfab2003
05-11-2006, 10:10 PM
One thing to remember is that these frames are very thin and that is one of the reasons for cracking. This being said you have to watch how much heat input goes into the frame when welding them, so as not to take anymore temper out of the metal then needed. The person that hacked on the frame that I just received obviously didn't know that and made the frame even worse then when it started. I am a welder and a instructor at the local college and have decided that the frame I have can no longer be used due to overheating in key stress areas. TIG welding would be best as you can control the heat affected zone or you can use MIG but try the trigger or stitch method to reduce heat input.

Good luck, PM me for any further info.

-Josh

Meat
05-12-2006, 12:37 PM
"trigger or stitch method"

Kustom, can you breifly describe these welding techniques. thanks:)

zedicus00
05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
hey kustom, if you have heat stressed metal cryoed it makes it strong again... stronger then new actually. do all your welding then get it cryoed and yur good to go.

kustomfab2003
05-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
hey kustom, if you have heat stressed metal cryoed it makes it strong again... stronger then new actually. do all your welding then get it cryoed and yur good to go.

True... but how many people have that at their disposal? I have customers that use LN2 for heat treating and such, but you can really mess that up as well. If you put too much strength into the metal you can lose flex and that will cause cracking all over again. IE the argument over chromoly or mild steel. Chromoly is stronger and more rigid but does not flex and just cracksshatters instead. Alot of welders/fabricators will use chromoly tubing but mild steel to weld them to create a stress reliever.

kustomfab2003
05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Meat
"trigger or stitch method"

Kustom, can you breifly describe these welding techniques. thanks:)

This method is used by pulling the trigger on a MIG welder and holding the arc just enough to form a good penetrating puddle then breaking the arc and allowing it to cool briefly. Alot of weld shops use this on chromoly to prevent the need to have to heat treat after to ge the heat affected zone back up to temper. It almost looks like a TIG weld in appearance but is done with a MIG. Basically you weld in short bursts instead of running one long continuos weld bead. Intead of this ----------- you get this ))))))))).

Kinda hard to explain over the BBS but easier on the phone or by demo.

-Josh

DezSled
05-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Could you explain 'cat eyeing' (there are more names for it i'm sure) where you extend the weld bead past the material your welding to prevent the rigidity/inflexability on the edge of a gusset or frame tube.