PDA

View Full Version : K & N

Scott-300ex
05-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I ride in a lot of sand, a lot of times its so dusty you just gotta watch the dude in front of you for bumps and where to follow.

So I was just wondering, I have a K&N filter in my 250r and should I get a Uni or any foam filter? Cuz I hear K&N isn't as good at stopping sand and it doesn't filter it like a foam.

And would I have to rejet if I got a foam? Cuz it would run more rich.

hrc
05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
If you lube thek&n and put a outerwares cover on it it will be fine.

4oorider
05-11-2006, 08:06 PM
^ what he said, i had a K&N on one of my old quads for roughly 4-5 years. rode in mostly dusty and sandy places. had it oiled up and had outerwear. cleaned often. no problems.

Crazy Diamond
05-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I hear the foam is better. I had a K & N with an Outerwear and an Outerwear air box lid and blocked the stock snorkel. Yet I still managed to get dirt on the top of my piston when I rebuilt it. I cleaned the filter about every 2 or 3 rides too. I also oiled it to were I would let it sit overnight to let the excess run off before installing. So it wasn't a matter of not enougn oil! I run a foam now!

john.E.business
05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
I to have a k&n in my 450r and im going to do abit of dune riding but i don't have an outerwear if i where to clean and oil my filter good before i go will it be okay for this one weekend?

NacsMXer
05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by john.E.business
I to have a k&n in my 450r and im going to do abit of dune riding but i don't have an outerwear if i where to clean and oil my filter good before i go will it be okay for this one weekend?

You should be ok as long as you are not riding through plumes of dust. I too, can attest for the K&N's lack of filtering ability in heavy dust. I ran one(actually had 2) before I switched to a UNI filter. I really believe that foam just plain filters better after using the two. I will run a UNI with better filtration at the cost of a little less airflow in comparison to the K&N. The outerwears does nothing for catching fine dust particles; it only adds water repellancy and blocks larger pieces of mud/dirt from clogging the filter pleats.

john.E.business
05-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Would i almost be better off putting the stock airfilter back on? and if i did would i have to rejet?

04TRX400EX
05-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a K&N with Outerwears on my 400EX and I love it. When I came back from the last time I was at the dunes, my airbox had sand in it, but I didn't even have to clean the filter. The Outerwears stopped all the sand from getting to it. I just rinsed out the Outerwears with some water and was good to go.

swstandring
05-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Good air filter article on www.ctracing.com

http://www.ctracing.com/air.htm

Resq
05-12-2006, 07:26 AM
If a rider was to switch from a K&N with outerwear to a UNI filter,
Just what would you have to do in the way of jetting?

I would guess it would put the carb in a rich condition if it is running ok with the K&N.

NacsMXer
05-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Resq
If a rider was to switch from a K&N with outerwear to a UNI filter,
Just what would you have to do in the way of jetting?

I would guess it would put the carb in a rich condition if it is running ok with the K&N.

Theoretically that would happen. I questioned the same thing when I made the switch. I asked Colby at C&D racing about rejetting when switching to a UNI and he told me that it should not make much of a difference to really need to rejet.

ryanh250ex
05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
i run a UNI on my 250ex, my dad's polaris scrambler, i ran a clamp-on UNI on my old Z50, and i even run a 11" long UNI cone filter on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, that should tell you just how much i am satisfied with their products...

the difference in airflow is not really as much as everybody claims it is...if your jetting is spot on with the K&N, a properly oiled UNI will not make the bike rich.

all the offroad baja trucks run foam filters for a reason....

Scott-300ex
05-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeh I got an Outerwears on it and that caught all the sand cuz my filter was clean, but I still blew it out from the INSIDE, then sprayed a layer of oil on it.

Hey 4oo dude, where is hampshire? You ever ride at St. Joe?

And haven't you seen the commercial where the Baha 1000 trucks run the K & N's? The Trophy Trucks. And then the guy does a 360 in the sand and drives threw so much comin around you can't even see him, and he's runnin a K & N. So they all don't. LoL.

05black450r
05-25-2006, 09:47 PM
dont get the k&n i had that and a outerwears on my 400ex and i took it off and run my finger in the intake tube and there was dust in it and i had a clamp on the filter. dont get the k&n. my brother had it on his raptor and the same thing happened. get the foam

250r4life
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
i dont have a problem with my K&Ns... i maintain them meticulously, run an outerwear and airbox outerwear, and change my filter each day at the dunes, and i never have sand/dust in my intake...