PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Silver Lake gone bad

Neocon
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Well we didn't make it to Mich. We were about 30 min out heading down I-94 when we were passing a semi in the center lane. A gust of wind started the trailer swaying. My friend Chris, who's truck it is, did everything that he could to keep the truck going down the road. The truck and trailer then jack knifed and skid to the sholder of the highway where the driver side tires dug in and caused the truck to roll over and disconnect form the trailer. No one got hurt real bad luckly. I got hurt the worst with really bad scraches on my back, knee and hip. I am really sore. When we got out the trailer was on it's side. Now there were 3 people in the truck. Chris the owner was driving, nick was in the pass. seat, and I was behind Nick in the ext. cab. I was the only one not wearing a seat belt which was a terrible mistake on my part. During the roll his 10" sub hit me and I think that it caused some of my problems.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2216000-2216999/2216585_7_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2216000-2216999/2216585_8_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2216000-2216999/2216585_9_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2216000-2216999/2216585_6_full.jpg
We had to wait for the firetruck so we could open the trailer. When we opened the trailer this is what we found.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2216000-2216999/2216585_5_full.jpg
Now mine is the black one. The quad in that mess are (2) 2004 trx 450r, (1)2005 trx 450r, (1) 2006 Raptor 700, (1)2004 LTZ 400, (1)2005 LTZ 400. The 2 on the end faired the worst out of them all. The 2004 trx 450r under my quad had 2 quads on top and had to be drug out on its handle bars and is probley the worst off. Everyone else had minor damage but nothing real bad.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2216000-2216999/2216585_4_full.jpg

My quad needs a new rear grab bar, handle bars, clutch lever, and the plastics are screwed up a little bit but not bad. So that is the damage. The truck is totaled and so is the trailer.

quadrcr161
05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
WOW, that sucks, im glad to hear everyone is ok, insurance will cover the rest hopefully. I had a trailer break off the motorhome and hit a guard rail. luckly the two 250r's inside were fine but the trailer was gone.

gbcap
05-11-2006, 12:57 PM
unfortunatly the quads will not be covered unless he has special insurance for the trailer cargo. most people do not unless they haul for aliving.

the only way it will be covered is if they rule it an act of god...or if it is someone elses fault and then they have to "make you whole" again. which means compensate you for EVERYTHING even your time. medical expenses. time off work. quads damage. and pain and suffering. but it doesn't sound like anyone else was involved so the quad damage prolly won't be covered. good thing it wasn't more serious.

ballz2thewall
05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
That blow's:ermm: Atleast the damage was to things that can be replaced instead of things that can't be!

400exchick
05-11-2006, 12:59 PM
That's horrible!!!

Good thing no one was seriously injured!

Best of luck with repairs and your injuries!

Neocon
05-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Yea we were lucky. most of the quads just have plastic damage. But I was lookin at getting new bars anyways

MR.BIG
05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Man that really sucks but at least everyone is safe.

05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
it coulda been worse

JRP
05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ballz2thewall
That blow's:ermm: Atleast the damage was to things that can be replaced instead of things that can't be!

yea, that sucks man.

gpd005
05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
That sucks man, but you are lucky you didn't get hurt any worse!

horizontal_kev
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
similar to what happened to my x7 pocket bike, it flew right out of the back of my moms van on 1-85. lights were cracked, severe fairing damage, engines cvt box destroyed, the starter cracked, battery flew right out of its place, handle bars are bent and twisted, my front wheele blown, engine is needed of repair some (2 bolts cracked of the 4 holding it), frame scratched and bent some (no biggy not noticable from 2 feet), the back of the bike smashed in(it was the first to hit ground at 55-60 mph).. i estimate say 300 dollars in damage on things i need to fix to start runnin on the road again..hey man sorry about you atv and your freinds truck, nice rims!!!!

05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Thats pretty bad about the truck n trailor. Id be pretty pissed to open up the trailor n see that.

Kids at my school got all drunk n took off in their moms car. Of course none of the 4 had their license. They flipped it n the one kid got hit in the head with a keg lmao

05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
it coulda been worse

yea im sure it woulda and what if this happened to your killer bee yellow honda, How would you like some kids coming on here after you crashed your 35,000 dollar truck and your 15 thousand dollar trailor and messed up 3 quads and had minor injuries, then how the hell would you feel if they said O it coulda been worse. Grow up dude please. If you just wanted another post to your count go put it elseware not in a thread such as this ... Please :o

05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Marshmello
yea im sure it woulda and what if this happened to your killer bee yellow honda, How would you like some kids coming on here after you crashed your 35,000 dollar truck and your 15 thousand dollar trailor and messed up 3 quads and had minor injuries, then how the hell would you feel if they said O it coulda been worse. Grow up dude please. If you just wanted another post to your count go put it elseware not in a thread such as this ... Please :o rofl

rmz250
05-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Chill, Noone died.

miller821
05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
yea im sure it woulda and what if this happened to your killer bee yellow honda, How would you like some kids coming on here after you crashed your 35,000 dollar truck and your 15 thousand dollar trailor and messed up 3 quads and had minor injuries, then how the hell would you feel if they said O it coulda been worse. Grow up dude please. If you just wanted another post to your count go put it elseware not in a thread such as this ... Please :o
Dude sounds like you need to chill a little... IT could of been worse, I mean anyone of them could of gotten seriously injured bro... He was just saying that he should be happy that they all made it out ok.

05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Dude sounds like you need to chill a little... IT could of been worse, I mean anyone of them could of gotten seriously injured bro... He was just saying that he should be happy that they all made it out ok. yah thats what i meant and I didnt let what he said bother me. its prob. just his time of the month

05-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
just his time of the month

bro seriously grow up all i wanted you to do was show the guy some pitty him and his buddy have gone through a bad time throwing alot of hard work away by what happened. ANd then you come in here and say it could of been worse yea alot of things coulda been worse 9/11 coulda been worse fallin off my dirtbike yesterday coulda been worse, but it wasnt so take it as it is and show atleast alittle bit of consideration for the guy

wheeltrax
05-11-2006, 05:53 PM
is the person in the second to last picture named craig?

bulkdriverlp
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
been there done that. i had a '87 chevy with a 12' trailer full of sand and a windy day. i was going 40mph and it started going back and fourth, i accelerated first, then braked, that much weight there was nothing i could do. the truck and trailer went sideways in the ditch and the truck rolled on the driver side on the shoulder. only damage was a little bit of the trailer and bit dent in drivers door. im not saying you are at fault, but with 6 big sport quads you should have had trailer brakes. no matter how big and tough the truck is. your lucky you didnt get hurt worse. oh well, live and learn....

optikid123
05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
thats when you push the little button on the brake controller. i hope he tried that:(

quads14589
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
that suxs man that ke 20,000 grand in quads.

MXracer16
05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
bro seriously grow up all i wanted you to do was show the guy some pitty him and his buddy have gone through a bad time throwing alot of hard work away by what happened. ANd then you come in here and say it could of been worse yea alot of things coulda been worse 9/11 coulda been worse fallin off my dirtbike yesterday coulda been worse, but it wasnt so take it as it is and show atleast alittle bit of consideration for the guy

Man, chill out, seriously. Hes saying that they are lucky they didnt get seriously hurt or even killed and that they only had minor damage done to the quads. The stuff about 9/11, not needed, dont bring it up.

catch22blaster
05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
very sorry to hear this atleast all of you are ok

250rAL
05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Were those cheap tiedowns? They should have held everything in place. I know I could roll my trailer a full 360 and the machines would be mashed(flatbed) but they'd still be where I left them.

NorCalRacer
05-12-2006, 08:52 AM
That is truly unfortunate, at least all the damage is repairable.
I saw a thing for sale once, probably in JC Whitney, that went between your tow ball and trailer tongue and was supposed to reduce trailer sway. I've never tried one but if it makes towing safer it would be worth checking out.
Good luck repairing your quad and hopefully you'll be riding again soon!

ShiftFMX
05-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I dunno if it has been said yet...but was the truck/trailor insured???

trx400exxracer
05-12-2006, 04:48 PM

dude it seriously could have been worse

killen them all
05-12-2006, 07:09 PM

dude chill the f... down

hey dont take this personal about me talling you to chill out it could of been worse:p

derekhonda
05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
that suxs man that ke 20,000 grand in quads.

20,000 grand! Thats a lot of scratch!

Sorry about your accident, man that sucks. Hope insurance treats you well.

400exrules
05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Honda MaNiAc 01
Thats pretty bad about the truck n trailor. Id be pretty pissed to open up the trailor n see that.

Kids at my school got all drunk n took off in their moms car. Of course none of the 4 had their license. They flipped it n the one kid got hit in the head with a keg lmao

somethin similar happened here like a year or two ago. except they were all 14-16 and none had license or permits. they wrecked and a few died, others seriously injured

Neocon
05-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
is the person in the second to last picture named craig?

Yea his name is Craig. Thanks everyone it could have been way worse. It still hasn't set in on how bad it really was. We have to go back to check some things on the trailer becasue we think that the semi we were passing may have hit the trailer. We also think that the tounge weight may have not been enough. But we have been trying to piece it together for 2 days now.

400grl
05-13-2006, 09:17 AM
That little red button can definately save alot of pain/damage!!! We have that on our trailer brake system, too.......

My father in law was towing a huge ***** trailer with his van....NO trailer brakes....too heavy of a load.....started to swap......tried to save it by speeding up to straighten it out (if you don't have trailer brakes, you are SCREWED once the swap starts) - wound up rolling van AND trailer several times. Everything was totalled, but he didn't really even have a scratch - now THAT's lucky. And you know - everyone said "it could have been worse " and he didn't get pissy - because he knew it COULD have been. You can replace things......it's people you can't replace.

OH, and yeah - it would be interesting to see if the truck hit the trailer - out here, our semi truck driver's I think must be drunk or falling asleep all the time - because NONE of them can hold a line to save their life!!!

Neocon
05-13-2006, 09:28 AM
He said that he should have hit the trailer breaks but at the time it didn't come to mind. That semi was all over the road that is why we tried to get around him.

400grl
05-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeap....those dam truckers......lol! I've had to go OFF the road before when one of them drifted too far into my lane.....I need a train horn.

bulkdriverlp
05-13-2006, 11:56 AM
former truck driver. you almost have to drive 18 hours a day to make a living, even thought its illegal. talk to a few drivers one day, youll have a little more respect for them...

MadDog56
05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
former truck driver. you almost have to drive 18 hours a day to make a living, even thought its illegal. talk to a few drivers one day, youll have a little more respect for them...

It's a shame that not many drivers have respect for truckers anymore, I see them cutting them off and stopping short all the time. Doesnt look like the trucker had anything to do with this situation though, except that he happened to be in the other lane at the time.

My philosophy has always been to slow down when I'm pulling the trailer, it's amazing how much wind can affect you even at slower speeds let alone highway ones.

Glad to hear no-one was seriously injured, just one of those things that we dont expect to happen. Hope you can get the bikes back together without too much trouble and expense.

400ex28
05-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Neocon
He said that he should have hit the trailer breaks but at the time it didn't come to mind. That semi was all over the road that is why we tried to get around him.

How do you forget you have trailer brake's?

TheFontMaster
05-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
How do you forget you have trailer brake's?

Your driving a truck and your trailer filled with 20g's worth of quads is sliding around behind you while you are within inches of hitting a tractor trailer..... thats how you forget. I thought that the trailer brakes braked whenever you hit the truck brakes?

Good to hear that everyone made it out alright, and the only damage was to the vehicles.

Neocon
05-14-2006, 04:51 PM
In the limited time that it happened you try everything that you can think of. Sometime you can't remember everything. And you can opperate the trailer brakes on their own.

trick250r
05-14-2006, 05:16 PM
around here in traffic jams and stuff, they stop those idiots that try and pass those 5 or 6 extra cars before they have to merge into the one lane. i love 'em.

400ex28
05-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Those things werent straped down worth a d@mn.

yamablaster24
05-14-2006, 06:17 PM
yeah im sure they made sure they were strapped down in cases they drove upside down.

400ex28
05-14-2006, 08:17 PM
I strap mine down good because you never know what can happen.

86350x
05-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Did you have trailer brakes? And an e brake controller in the truck? Thats a big trailor. That sucks, never had that happen yet. I have towed about the same size with my little 05 f150 without any problems, and I have the controller on there.

Did you have the quads tied down at all?

You guys are very lucky, looks like everything turned out good considering what happened. Hopefully you can come back to michigan sometime soon.

Neocon
05-15-2006, 10:52 AM
There was trailer breakes on the trailer and truck. The one strap on the tire ususally does fine with normal conditions. The tounge weight was not enough. We usually have 50s and all the gear in the nose of the trailer but we didn't have that on this trip and we didn't relize that.

400grl
05-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp

Sorry, I do have utmost respect for the big rigs, since I drive on I-10 ALOT, and I know that they rule the road......I don't cut them off, I don't drive alongside them for any length of time....I don't pull in front until they flash me that it's all clear.....all that good stuff. But holy cow - some of those driver's need to pull over and take a nap before they kill someone!

89'350RX
05-15-2006, 05:52 PM
WOW, that really blows. I haul a 28' trailer and I know what you are talking about. Be careful with your insurance company, they will check everything (hitch, ball type, safety chains, truck, truck tires, etc) they will find anything they can to push the blame.

Glad everyone came out safe.

Where on I-94 were you whe this happened?

Neocon
05-15-2006, 05:59 PM
It happened right before hwy 50 in Kenosha

wheeltrax
05-15-2006, 06:48 PM
man that sucks. Definately not the silver lake trip you planned on thats for sure. Yea, i thought that was craig, but wasnt sure, I know him. Glad you guys are alright tho.

Neocon
05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Yea it sucks. I am just waiting on 2 screws to finish it.