PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma helmet law failed

DaleJrFan
05-11-2006, 07:19 AM
The OKC paper is reporting that the helmet law(house bill 1830)failed yesterday. There is a bunch of doctors and so called experts complaing that this is such a good law and they dont know why the house couldnt pass it. The house said that is would be infringing on private land owners rights to enforce a helmet law so they will re-address it next year. This is good news for Little Sahara folks!!

LittleMissE
05-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah I think people over 18yrs. old should be able to chose if they wanta wear helmets or not. I have a question about another law they are supposibly trying to pass down there. Is it true that they have been trying to pass a law on kids under the age of 12 years old not being able to ride? I know it hasnt been passed but I was wondering if its true>

DaleJrFan
05-11-2006, 11:48 AM
They tried to write up the original bill that way but that will never fly due to too many kids under 12 ride down here. They want to make it manadatory for kids under 16 to wear a helmet and no one under the age of 14 can operate a atv with a passenger on board unless its is designed for 2 or more.

MissE, where are you from? You refer to us as "down there" so I was curious.

400exnac
05-11-2006, 03:51 PM
i think your just stipid if you dont wear one!

DaleJrFan
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exnac
i think your just stipid if you dont wear one!

Before you make a comment like that, do you even know the whole history behind this law? I doubt it so before you shoot your mouth off, I will fill you in. They want to make it so everyone of everyage has to wear a helmet to ride any size quad any where in the state,private property or not.

fandl450r
05-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
Before you make a comment like that, do you even know the whole history behind this law? I doubt it so before you shoot your mouth off, I will fill you in. They want to make it so everyone of everyage has to wear a helmet to ride any size quad any where in the state,private property or not.

While it may be true that the state shouldn't be able to make you do anything, besides pay taxes, on your own land. The fact still remains that it is "stupid" to not wear a helmet. The choice is ultimately up to the rider, but I guess if you don't value whats up there anyway than you're better off without one. Just remember the Honda slogan, "stupid hurts."

LittleMissE
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by LittleMissE
Yeah I think people over 18yrs. old should be able to chose if they wanta wear helmets or not. I have a question about another law they are supposibly trying to pass down there. Is it true that they have been trying to pass a law on kids under the age of 12 years old not being able to ride? I know it hasnt been passed but I was wondering if its true>

I am in Colorado!! I say doen there because I have family that lives in OK. and thats what I am use to saying instead of saying OK. all of the time. Thats also where I was born!!!

DaleJrFan
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Before this turns into a big misunderstanding, my opinion is that if you are under 18 it should be mandatory and I have no problem making my kids wear a helmet, but for the responsible adult riders, making a helmet mandatory for riding is not appealing to me. There is nothing like have to wear a helmet while going to and from the deer stand or while I am moving hay with the quad in the middle of a hot July day.

LittleMissE
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Before this turns into a big misunderstanding, my opinion is that if you are under 18 it should be mandatory and I have no problem making my kids wear a helmet, but for the responsible adult riders, making a helmet mandatory for riding is not appealing to me. There is nothing like have to wear a helmet while going to and from the deer stand or while I am moving hay with the quad in the middle of a hot July day.

I agree with that!!!

fandl450r
05-11-2006, 07:40 PM

I understand this, and by no means am I flaming you or bashing you. I do agree that it would be a hassle but at the same time its the precedent that it stands for. I don't have kids, yet anyways. But I know if they see mom or dad NOT wearing a helmet it can send the wrong message. Helmets are made for a reason, it's the one time, even being a responsible adult, that you could get in a wreck and if not wearing a helmet can get seriously hurt. I can see where you're coming from, and somewhat agree with the age requirement, but just remember kids learn a lot from their elders.

400exnac
05-11-2006, 07:48 PM
The fact still remains that it is "stupid" to not wear a helmet. The choice is ultimately up to the rider, but I guess if you don't value whats up there anyway than you're better off without one. Just remember the Honda slogan, "stupid hurts."

I wasnt shooting my mouth off, just giving MY opinion. fandl450r has some sense in him I see!

cjkranz
05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
The proposed law was initially intended for kids. The original draft did state that no one under the age of 12 could drive or even ride on a quad. It was stated later that this wasn't how they intended the bill to read. After it was revised several times, it read basically that anyone under the age of 18 would be required to wear a helmet, and that anyone under the age of 12 operating an ATV couldn't have a passenger ride with them. They also talked about making this law apply to STATE owned property only. It probably would have passed except one senator added something to the bill at the last minute. It stated that any child who lives in a house with a firearm would be required to wear a bullet proof vest 24/7 and that when ever any oklahoma children played on playground equipment that they would all be required to wear full protective gear, including a helmet, chest protector, and elbow/knee protection. Once it was noted that this was added to the ATV bill, it died.

The topic will be brought up again next year....

LittleMissE
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
I understand this, and by no means am I flaming you or bashing you. I do agree that it would be a hassle but at the same time its the precedent that it stands for. I don't have kids, yet anyways. But I know if they see mom or dad NOT wearing a helmet it can send the wrong message. Helmets are made for a reason, it's the one time, even being a responsible adult, that you could get in a wreck and if not wearing a helmet can get seriously hurt. I can see where you're coming from, and somewhat agree with the age requirement, but just remember kids learn a lot from their elders.

I understand what you are saying but my parents hardly ever wear helmets but they never let anyone under the age of 18 ride without one. I almost always wear a helmet!!!!(there are the times driving for one end of camp to the other ect.) but I know I could still get hurt then but I cant always be complety smart and safe!!!