PDA

View Full Version : Hole In Fuel Tank!

rooster300ex
05-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Recently i took my tank etc. off to get to my carb, and i guess when i put it back together i knocked alil hole in the bottom right of the tank. I mean its the littlest hole, because when i noticed it leaking I took a look at it and a few days later it didin't seem like it had dripped much more then it already has.

Anyways what is the best thing i could use to fix the leak problem?

brian350rx
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Is the tank metal or plastic?

rooster300ex
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Its metal.

brian350rx
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
You can weld it, but let someone do it that knows waht they're doing. I have welded a bunch of metal tanks. The tank has to be purged during the welding and grinding though and its usually pretty expensive. We used to charge a $50 mininmum just to do it then the shop rate for time on top of that. So you may be better off buying another one if it gets worse.

knelson
05-11-2006, 07:56 PM
personally I would empty the tank,ruff it up w/ some sandpaper, spray it down with carb cleaner,jb weld it ,sand it smooth, and paint it:D

FHKracingZ
05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Try welding the tank with the gas still in it, i think it will stop that leak real fast :D

rooster300ex
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Try welding the tank with the gas still in it, i think it will stop that leak real fast :D

lol I bet it would.

rooster300ex
05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by knelson
personally I would empty the tank,ruff it up w/ some sandpaper, spray it down with carb cleaner,jb weld it ,sand it smooth, and paint it:D

I'm wanting to go the easiest route. this is prolly what i'll do. the hole is so small there is no need to weld on it or anything.

05-12-2006, 12:41 AM
ive had my local place patch 2 of my tanks before

rooster300ex
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
ive had my local place patch 2 of my tanks before

I brought some tires and some rims to my local honda shop to get mounted, and right when i came through the door they asked did you buy them from us. I said no, and then they said we aren't gonna do em. So I don't deal with them anymore. I know more about the things they sell then they do, and they say they been in the business for 20 years or more.

I'll prolly just patch it with some jb's weld. Thats kinna what i thought would be the easiest & cheapiest route.

05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I brought some tires and some rims to my local honda shop to get mounted, and right when i came through the door they asked did you buy them from us. I said no, and then they said we aren't gonna do em. So I don't deal with them anymore. I know more about the things they sell then they do, and they say they been in the business for 20 years or more.

I'll prolly just patch it with some jb's weld. Thats kinna what i thought would be the easiest & cheapiest route.

lol what idiots i have to bring my tires to a tire shop they charged $10 a tire though:eek2:

Chino886
05-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
lol what idiots i have to bring my tires to a tire shop they charged $10 a tire though:eek2:

Take them to wal-mart.

05-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Take them to wal-mart.

i dont have a supercenter anywhere close

NPelletier
05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
rubber cement might do the trick, and its probably cheap too:cool:

#8red
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
that's the way they weld car gas tanks - with the tank full,there's no vapor to ignite - I've heard it many times - never done it - - just heard it

rooster300ex
05-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by #8red
that's the way they weld car gas tanks - with the tank full,there's no vapor to ignite - I've heard it many times - never done it - - just heard it

I've heard something like that before too. You can throw a cigarette in a gallon of gasoline and it won't do anything but put the cigarette out, but if it has alil left in the corner and its been sitting with the cap on and then you through a cig in there it lights up. I wouldn't try the welding on gas tank thing unless your a pro at it. Welding puts out sparks so i don't think it would matter if there was little or alot of gas in a tank. It could ignite.

INFANTRY RACING
05-13-2006, 10:40 AM
you can fill the tank with fuel oil i believe and it won't explode. i ain't sure so don't try it.

Floorit
07-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Better yet........IF you've NEVER done it or seen it done, best thing would be not to reply at all about unproven methods of disaster.

People have been SERIOUSLY injured and killed from trying to weld fuel tanks without experience:eek2: