PDA

View Full Version : New Raptor

apopple
05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I bought a new 700 which was my first ATV. Also bought a Suzuki KIng Quad.
I love MX tracks and am improving each weekend. I do not know what is right and what is not rigt. My shock s feel fine, but I have no basis for benchmarking. I do want to get a new exhaust (recommendations and why appreciated).

ANdy feedback on 700 mods would be appreciated, along with reasons and outcomes.

FIRST POST!!

tintman
05-12-2006, 07:05 PM
leave it stock untill you feel the need to change stuff
the 700 is a blast, no?

apopple
05-12-2006, 08:50 PM
So far it is. I am going tomorrow to try and break a bone or two. I am too old for this stuff -- mid life crisis I guess??

cb700r
05-14-2006, 10:18 PM
i have the 700r and i tell you what its great. i put a power commander, k&n air filter kit and a ct racing pipe on and im pushing 51 horsepower. other than doing any motor work that is the best aftermarket stuff u can do with it.

cb700r
05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
also i would put the yfz 450 shocks on the 700r. i want to put those shocks on mine but i havent found any yet.

apopple
05-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Okay, rode all day saturday and bottomed out the shocks repeatedly. One of the brackets on each headlight broke (Duct tape).

Trust me, when you bottom out the shocks your body becomes the absorber!! I am sore.

I am think about a trinity exhaust with the EFI controller, a g force axle (adds 4" to the rear), a handlebar with a cross bar for a pad, a better rear grab bar (an out of control wheelie ended mine.

Any experience with any of these products?:)

raptor brothers
05-15-2006, 08:29 PM
apopple,how heavy are you?I'm 6'1 260 & I don't bottom out that bad.Have you set the rear shock spring spacer all the way down & put the fronts on 5?Are you landing your rear first or flat landing?I also have my rear set for a quick rebound & 1 click from the hardest compression setting.Hope that can help.

Blue_Streak23
05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a 660 raptor with stock shocks, and I put the preload on 5(the stiffest). I only weigh about 130lbs., and I still bottom them out!:huh I've been thinking of buying YFZ shocks. They are always on E-bay, you just hav eto find the right price.

apopple
05-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I am 185, 6'3" and the shocks are already on 5 (Ibelieve the stiffest settting). I am hitting the jumps and traveling about 50-65 feet depending on the "ramp" angle. I try to land flat, but have also tried rear and tried front one time (NEVER NEVER AGAIN as my mouth guard on my Thor SXT helmet saved a broken chin).

:eek2:

raptor brothers
05-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow!Thats pretty far for being your first quad.Thats farther than I've ever tried.I only jump 30-40 ft. at most.If your jumping that far I would definitly get after market shocks.My younger brother has The Works Shocks.They set the springs up for your specific weight & riding needs.I'll be getting those when I have a extra $1000.

apopple
05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
I have the Raptor Blues -- bruised and depressed because the weekend is too far away!!

:grr:

PowerJunkie
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
dont make the back wider then the front. ppl make the front bigger but not the other way around. save your money and put it into the front suspenion. wider a-arms and new shocks. and i wouldnt go with works shocks if you ride hard in mx. ive heard bad things about them. i think that would be the best thing and im sure alot of ppl would agree.

Flynbryan19
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Atleast get the Yfz front shocks. Your going to start breaking alot more than light brackets if your landing that harshly. Trust me acouple hundred bucks now is MUCH cheaper than a new frame and whatever else you'll be breaking soon.

Blue_Streak23
06-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Atleast get the Yfz front shocks. Your going to start breaking alot more than light brackets if your landing that harshly. Trust me acouple hundred bucks now is MUCH cheaper than a new frame and whatever else you'll be breaking soon.

Yep!:D

ELewandowski
06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
50-65 feet isn't really that far, my first jumps were only 35' doubles, but hitting a 65-75' camel hump is no biggie, you never get too high off the ground.

apopple
06-10-2006, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
Yep!:D

I would agree. I am probably 10-12 feet off the ground. Speed and angle, speed and angle.

Has anyone put TCS stuff on their Rpator.

:)

apopple
06-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by PowerJunkie
dont make the back wider then the front. ppl make the front bigger but not the other way around. save your money and put it into the front suspenion. wider a-arms and new shocks. and i wouldnt go with works shocks if you ride hard in mx. ive heard bad things about them. i think that would be the best thing and im sure alot of ppl would agree.

Don't you want the back wider for handling? What would be the issue with the back being wider than the front??

apopple
06-14-2006, 06:56 PM
H E L L O :chinese:

rockabilly13
06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
I would think having the rear wider than the front would cause it to roll in corners. That's why they don't make three wheelers anymore. HA HA:D

I'm debating getting longer a-arms (+2+1) and axle for my 700R. Just not sure how it will handle in the woods. I haven't found anybody else that has done it yet for me to pick their brain.