PDA

View Full Version : car audio system question

enduro400rider
05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
i got a chrysler 300m last week and i want to put a system in it, now i bought everything i think i need, subs, box, amp, wiring kit ect. now the car already has an infinity sound system stock, its factory amped. i dont want to change out the head unit or hack the car up. is there a way the subs can be hooked up with out getting a different head unit? is there some way to connect the amp to the factory amp?

Dan_Guetter
05-10-2006, 07:30 PM
depends on how good you want your system to sound. What did you all get?

sly400ex
05-10-2006, 07:33 PM
This may help

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=48997&get=last

MAaudioX10
05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
It is call an "LLC", Line Level Converter. Install that after the pre-amp. However, do not hook it up to a tweeter. Whatever you hook it up to, make sure it is not crossed over.

That will convert your full range signal into RCA outputs that you then can run to your amp.

derekhonda
05-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Ran into the same problem with my Avalanche I am putting a system into. It already has an amp to power my bose speakers, but they make a converter the will link the signal from your first amp to your aftermarket amp. Then all you have to do is run power and a ground to it. You might look up a car place online and see if they got what I am talking about.

enduro400rider
05-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
depends on how good you want your system to sound. What did you all get?

well i bought an alpine amp off of one of the members here, i beleive its 350watts RMS, my buddy gave me a box with two 10s in it, they are CR gravity, i guess not to many people have heard of them but i heard them in his car and they hit really hard, i plan on uses those for a couple weeks and then i will probably swap them out for some JL 10s since i can get a decent price on some from a guy i know. im guess my best bet is to go with what Derekhonda was sayin. you wouldnt happen to know what the thing is called would ya? is it an LLC like what MAaudio was talkin about? thanks for your help guys

derekhonda
05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I am guessing we are talking about the same thing. What I ordered was called an "amp interface"

Hopefully this link works:
http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=307

Anyways, in the description it says "The AOEM-GM24 makes it easy to add an amp to your factory 2003- Up Bose or Non-Bose system."

enduro400rider
05-11-2006, 06:34 AM
thanks for your help derekhonda, im guessing you installed one in your car, basically from what i understand after reading the info is, its a harness that plugs into your factory amp with connections to go into the aftermarket amp, correct me if im wrong but is that the way it goes? thanks again

derekhonda
05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Haha, I dont know! Mine comes in the mail today! But as my understanding of it goes, you are correct. It plugs into the 1st amp, and then provides the signal (via RCA jack outputs) and the remote wire (to power your amp on only when the 1st amp is on). Then, you still need to run a power and a ground, I am not sure if it does that or not (probably not)

Ill let you know this weekend when I hook it up.

enduro400rider
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
ok, i went and picked one up today from an audio place, i didnt get much info on how to install it since the dude is the salesman and not an installer, im still waitin on my amp so i havent started tearing through everything yet.

Alberta_Qaudin
05-11-2006, 11:02 PM
i had my subs hooked up to my factory deck and MAaudio is right but all this time i thought llc stood for low level converter. all you do is splice it off of your rear speaker wire and it take all the high frequency out of that wire.....NOW i will tell you one thing for sure if you want it to hit hard you wont get it this way, problem being that the factory deck has all the little computer chips and shiet that turn the bass down before the speakers blow, and to turn up the bass ot the subs you also have to turn up the base to the speakers there for when you turn the volume up your bass will start to cut out. if you want good sound the simple fact is you have to have it done properly and if your factory deck doesnt have sub pre-outs to get good sound you need one that does, world of difference in my stereo since i got my head unit

SGA
05-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Ive noticed more head units coming with an "aux in" plug on the front to hook up your Ipod or satellite radio receiver. The next one I buy will have one.

Alberta_Qaudin
05-12-2006, 08:08 AM
mine has the satelite input in the back and has a cord running from the back of it and came with an ipod mount they threw into the deal. they ran the ipod cord to my glove box so it would be easy to get to when i install the mount