PDA

View Full Version : did it change?

Ryanc350
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I know you prolly seen this a million times but i could never find an exact answer

I hear ppl running mobil1 15w-40 or 15w-50 in there 400ex's but all they are saying is the red cap???

all around here everyone has it in gold caps

is it the same ? they have just changed the caps?

thanks

400exowner
05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Well ill tell you this from experience, if u dont run atv oil like kawachem or honda oil ur clutch wont get half the life it would with atv oil. JUst saying from experience.

300exOH
05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Ryanc350
I know you prolly seen this a million times but i could never find an exact answer

I hear ppl running mobil1 15w-40 or 15w-50 in there 400ex's but all they are saying is the red cap???

all around here everyone has it in gold caps

is it the same ? they have just changed the caps?

thanks The red cap mobile 1 everyone is talking about is no longer being made. It was safe to use becuase it did not cantain the friction modifiers that automotive oil has. You can use the Mobile 1 motorcycle oil but it's very pricey. That may be what the gold cap is but I'm not positive. The Mobile 1 red cap they sell now is automotive oil. I wouldn't recommend using it though. Look for an oil that is safe for wet clutch applications.

underpowered
05-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exowner
Well ill tell you this from experience, if u dont run atv oil like kawachem or honda oil ur clutch wont get half the life it would with atv oil. JUst saying from experience.

Wrong! you can run any oil you want so long as it does not have any friction modifiers in it. most synthetic oils have friction modifiers so they will decrease the life of your clutch, most normal petroleum oils will not harm your clutch.

05-10-2006, 05:18 PM
have to agree^^^^^^^^^^^^

jjohnst03
05-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
Wrong! you can run any oil you want so long as it does not have any friction modifiers in it. most synthetic oils have friction modifiers so they will decrease the life of your clutch, most normal petroleum oils will not harm your clutch.

You are sort of wrong too. Its more common now that all automotive oil, whether it be a synthetic or a petrolium based, to have friction modifiers.

Your best bet if you dont want to do the research is run the oil that the manufacturer for your bike bottels and sales.

If you dont want to do that you can do the research on all of the oils out there. Trust me there is plentty to find about each company on the web and how they make their oil.

Anything from Shells Rotella brand oil is safe. Their synthetics and their petrolium based.

Mobile 1 even puts moly(friction modifiers) in their "Motorcycle" oil.

See motorcycle engines are different than ATV engines. Well cruisers are anyway. The motor is air cooled so they have to run an oil that is thick enough to run at hight temperatures, but most of those bikes transmissions are not inside the motor so those motors can run an oil with moly. It cuts down on wear on parts and helps run cooler so why not use it when you can?

ATV's and Street Bikes are a different story. The transmissions are lubed by the same oil that lubes your cylinders most of the time so the oil has to work good with both the cylinders and the transmission. So the oil can't contain any moly.

So when it boils down to it you either have to do the research on the specific oil that you are wanting to run or go to your local dealer and by the oil that Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha makes to be safe.

Deadmeat
05-11-2006, 12:32 AM
i still use honda gn4 and have never had problems