PDA

View Full Version : lasek eye sugery

86350x
05-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Old topic, new post.

Who all has had it done? Was it worth it? No more glasses or contacts? Who was your doc, and did you have any negative side effects?

:confused:

KWAD GAWD
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
My best friend had if done. He had coke bottle glasses his whole life - said it was the best decision he's ever made. Money well spent.

05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
My best friend had if done. He had coke bottle glasses his whole life - said it was the best decision he's ever made. Money well spent. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/buycoolshirts_1897_6370700

brian350rx
05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
I had it done about 2 years ago - worth every penny.
Before I had 20/200 vision (terrible) now I have a little better than 20/20 - its amazing.
I havent had any negative effects at all.
I highly recommend it

Ralph
05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I met the guy who inveted laser eye surgery and he explained the whole process and its pretty damn cool.

I think i will surely have it done in the future.

400exrules
05-10-2006, 01:25 PM
i want to have it done cuz my vision sucks and i dont have glasses, i tried contacts but they just frustrated me

anyone know how long it is good for?

1fst400
05-10-2006, 01:37 PM
my budy wants it done to his eyes. I put his glases on one time, kids practlicly blind. How much does somthing like that cost?

NacsMXer
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
i want to have it done cuz my vision sucks and i dont have glasses, i tried contacts but they just frustrated me

anyone know how long it is good for?

I had mine done with custom Lasik about a year ago. I had horrible nearsighted 20/75 vision due to my eyes' dependency on contacts. Contacts just plain sucked for me because I had to use toric lenses. They were always drying out on me and I had to resort to mastering the art of making my eyes water through yawning, pretty annoying. Not to mention the maintainence of waking up/going to sleep every day, riding with them, and not being able to go swimming/take showers without your eyes getting dried out. Too much hassel.

I was kinda scared to have this procedure done before because I didn't like the idea of someone sticking a freaking razor blade in my eye and peeling back the surface :eek2: It's not all that bad though, not much pain involved. More of an odd sensation than pain. I'll admit, right after the procedure sucked for me. I felt like I was hit in the eyes with pepper spray for the rest of the day but the day after I was fine.

Hours after the procedure, my vision was still blurry but I could already see much better than before. The next day I was amazed at how much better I could see when I woke up. I now have better than 20/20 vision (20/15) and I am so happy I had this done! :macho It is really liberating to not have to deal with contacts anymore and do stuff like a normal person without worrying about your eyes drying out in certain situations. The procedure lasts forever, until your eyesight starts to degrade with age naturally like everyone else. The procedure sounds scary and weird, but it works damn well and I recommend it to anybody :D

05-10-2006, 02:02 PM
is there any risk of going blind? i wear contacts and hate them but i heard befor that there is a risk of going blind with the lasik

Scro
05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
My dad had the procedure done when it first came out. I don't remember how long ago it was...maybe 10 years or so. He had 20/20 vision after the surgery. Well, over the past year he said that his vision has slowly become worse. I was under the impression that it was a permenant fix:confused: . But, he may just be getting old...42:blah:

05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by D6MX450R
is there any risk of going blind? i wear contacts and hate them but i heard befor that there is a risk of going blind with the lasik i thin ku have more of a chance going blind if you keep using contacts and put one of them in imporperly or something then this surgery going wrong. its a very simple procedure that is done every day

400EXBill
05-10-2006, 02:34 PM
My girlfriend just had hers done a couple months ago. She said it's the best thing she ever did and would do it again. It doesn't last for ever though. Your eye's will continue to deteriorate as you get older. It doesn't stop the process, it just makes it start over.

YFZ450Ridr
05-10-2006, 03:33 PM
my mom had it done when it first came out and she was about 25 i think and they used a knife on her eye. it worked good for her but she just recently had to buy some reading glasses but shes 46.

DieselBoy
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
isnt it like 5,000 bucks per eye?

1fst400
05-10-2006, 04:09 PM
YIKES 5k. jeez, just get one done and wear an eye patch aroud.:blah:

yamablaster24
05-10-2006, 05:31 PM
my dad had it done last year for 1500 an eye. he loves it and has had no problems with it.

05-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
isnt it like 5,000 bucks per eye? we have insurance in america

quad2xtreme
05-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I had it done 7 years ago. Back then, it was considered expensive at $2,750 per eye. You can get it done for less than 1,000 per eye nowadays. The machines are much better now too. There is also new equipment that that uses a laser to make the flap instead of a blade. It is less invasive and heals quicker and cleaner.

I had absolutely zero pain from mine. I could see immediately after it was done. After 7 years, one eye is 20/15 and the other is a little worse than 20/20. I will be 42 in November.

I have the option of having my eyes re-done for free for life. One eye was slightly overcorrected but still way better than it was before.

If you think you have it bad trying to ride a quad with glasses, you should try a jetski.

/Jon

DieselBoy
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
we have insurance in america '

really now?

JOEX
05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
we have insurance in america
It's a cosmetic procedure, not very many insurance companies, if any, will cover this procedure.

I've been wanting to do this for along time but i'm a bit scared. If something does go wrong, which is possible, you're screwed :ermm: I'd rather wear glasses than not see at all.

Ralph
05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It's a cosmetic procedure, not very many insurance companies, if any, will cover this procedure.

I've been wanting to do this for along time but i'm a bit scared. If something does go wrong, which is possible, you're screwed :ermm: I'd rather wear glasses than not see at all.

a-huh

NacsMXer
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

True, and I see your point. This technology has been around for about 20 years now and is FDA approved. It worked in its early stages and the technology only gets better with time. Becoming blind from the procedure is like dying in a plane crash. It would be ignorant to think that it is impossible, but at the same time is highly unlikely. I was afraid and skeptical at first just the same, but now i'm so glad I did it. I was blind as a bat before :p

JOEX
05-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
True, and I see your point. This technology has been around for about 20 years now and is FDA approved. It worked in its early stages and the technology only gets better with time. Becoming blind from the procedure is like dying in a plane crash. It would be ignorant to think that it is impossible, but at the same time is highly unlikely. I was afraid and skeptical at first just the same, but now i'm so glad I did it. I was blind as a bat before :p
I know what you're saying, it's unlikely anyone will go blind but there is a chance that there could be other less severe side effects. I did some litle bit of research a couple of years ago and heard of some people complaining of seeing halos and a few other 'things' I don't remember exactly what else but it was enough to make me want to wait awhile.

The procedure has evolved quite a bit, I remember before lasers they used a scalpal to cut slits in the eye to flatten it out, Radial Keraotamy? I belive there are several different versions of the laser procedure being done now depending on the needs of the patiant.

I'm sure they have the prequalification down pretty well now so that those that wont benefit from the procedure are eliminated.

400exrules
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
how do they keep your eyes open, how long is the surgery? and what happens if u blink during the surgery?:huh

DieselBoy
05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
how do they keep your eyes open, how long is the surgery? and what happens if u blink during the surgery?:huh

they secure your eye open with a spreader thing... you can't blink....they peel the top of your eye back, and then they do this flashy laser thing, reapply the flap, and from there im not sure

NacsMXer
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM

They put a special "cage" in your eye to prevent it from closing. It looks like it would hurt, but you really don't feel it much. You recieve special eye drops that completely numb your eyeball prior to the procedure, along with a mild sedative (usually Valium). The surgeon also periodically drops eyedrops in your eye while the cage is holding your eye open so it doesn't dry out.