PDA

View Full Version : truck exhaust

400exrules
05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
What affect do the sizes and lengths of tips have on the sound or power? where did all you folks with dual exhaust get your tips from?

ShiftFMX
05-09-2006, 09:36 PM
hhhmmmmmmmmm

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
I got straight exhaust put on my 04 Gmc Sierra with 4 inch tips. Length and tip size has a little to do with the sound, but not much. The Engine and what setup you get makes the biggest difference. I love the sound i get from my 5.3 and i love the Dodges with Hemis. If you want loud, go with Straights, which is a Y-pipe goin into one pipe, then comin out as two, True Dual Exhaust, which is a two straight pipes all the way back, no Y-pipe, that is the one of the loudest, best sounding setups. Both of those dont include mufflers. For the best performance and to keep your gas mileage the same, you would want mufflers, like Flowmaster 40 series or somethin. Plus if you get straights or true dual, your check engine light will always be on. Thats about all i know about the exhaust, dont know which mufflers are better and all that.

Taylor400ex
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
ive got dual 40 series flows that dump on top of my back axel, on my Z71

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Taylor400ex
ive got dual 40 series flows that dump on top of my back axel, on my Z71
Are your flows still loud? Because Im gonna go ahead and get some to get my gas mileage back up to as high as it can get. Gas prices are gettin ridiculous.

05-09-2006, 11:11 PM
my dad was going to get duel exhaust on his f150 and i told him you get better gas milage and some hp from them and he went to the shop to get them put on and the guy said unless you take off the catalytic converter your not going to get any better gas milage or hp is that true?
:huh

hondarider2006
05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by moto440ex
Plus if you get straights or true dual, your check engine light will always be on.

Are you talking straights or true dule..like right off of the engine, or cat back? You can run cat-back dual w/o mufflers no problem. I run it on my truck with no problems.

As far as the tips go...I know they play a pretty good deal in the sound, but as far as power goes....don't think they do much. Its not all in the "tips" as far as sound goes I think. The bigger diameter pipe you use, the deeper the sound is going to be, and the smaller the more crackle you are going to have. just my .02

underpowered
05-10-2006, 07:38 AM
a larger dia., longer tip will give a deeper sound. not really louder, but a deep, hallow sound. but dont go too big, going from a really small pipe to a really large on may give you a "rice" sound. Dumped over the axle give agreat sound too, the sound reverberates off teh ground and bottom of the truck to give it a different sound. when i went from dual tail pipes to dumped, it got louder and a deeper tone on my old truck, 1992 GMC k1500 with a flow 40.

Titanium
05-10-2006, 09:43 AM
i have a 87 GMC Jimmy full size with a 350 with dual flowmaster 40's and i took my cats off and its amazing how much louder it is. i also have my exhaust cut off over the axle. it sounds pretty good. specially when u really get on it.

moto440ex
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
Are you talking straights or true dule..like right off of the engine, or cat back? You can run cat-back dual w/o mufflers no problem. I run it on my truck with no problems.

As far as the tips go...I know they play a pretty good deal in the sound, but as far as power goes....don't think they do much. Its not all in the "tips" as far as sound goes I think. The bigger diameter pipe you use, the deeper the sound is going to be, and the smaller the more crackle you are going to have. just my .02
yea i was talkin catback. The engine light came on for my truck and a bunch of my friends trucks too. But i know part of my problem was I had carbon build up in the engine, and I just got that fixed, So i'll see how it is now, I get it back today. Yea I got a 3 inch diameter pipe goin back to the tips, gives it a real deap sound. I love it.

05-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
my dad was going to get duel exhaust on his f150 and i told him you get better gas milage and some hp from them and he went to the shop to get them put on and the guy said unless you take off the catalytic converter your not going to get any better gas milage or hp is that true?

can someone answer my ? please

moto440ex
05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
That doesnt sound right? If you took off the Catalytic converter, its just flowin straight through, and that would mess up the oxygen sensors, which would make it get worse. I've been told by the Muffler shops the only way to get better mileage is to put aftermarket mufflers on there like Flowmasters or magnaflow. Most engines are controlled completely by computers now, and there has to be a balance, a certain amount coming in the engine and out. What year is the F-150? I didnt take that into consideration.

bulkdriverlp
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
there is a lot more to exhaust than people have posted here.

tips DO make a difference in sound.

why bother putting duals on to improve has milage? the 300 bucks isnt worth it. maybe 2mpg better.

why not run a H PIPE?

ok if you take the cats off, are you going to buy o2 sims so the check engine light doesnt come on? my '97 f-150 has 4 cats and 4 o2 censors.

you the best way to get better gas milage is keep out of gas, go easy on take-offs and dont go over 55mph

05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by moto440ex
That doesnt sound right? If you took off the Catalytic converter, its just flowin straight through, and that would mess up the oxygen sensors, which would make it get worse. I've been told by the Muffler shops the only way to get better mileage is to put aftermarket mufflers on there like Flowmasters or magnaflow. Most engines are controlled completely by computers now, and there has to be a balance, a certain amount coming in the engine and out. What year is the F-150? I didnt take that into consideration.

its a 02 4.2 v6 yea i know v6 :ermm:

fast_enough
05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
I got 24x3.5 inch tips, it give it alot more deeper hollower sound the bigger the tip

DieselBoy
05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
if you go with straight pipes on a fuel injected engine your engine might run funny, and you may lose gas mileage... the fuel injected engines naturally need SOME backpressure

Camaroguy87132
05-10-2006, 08:51 PM
GET BULLETS

400exrules
05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Camaroguy87132
GET BULLETS

what are bullets, ive heard of them before, but i have no idea what they are

Mxjunkie
05-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Atleast no one has said open headers yet... :o

ShiftFMX
05-10-2006, 10:20 PM
If you want optimal performance and sound, two words: Open Headers!!!

haha, Check out my putfile (link below in sig) for clips of my dual exhaust. Strait pipes on a 5.4

Titanium
05-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
If you want optimal performance and sound, two words: Open Headers!!!

haha, Check out my putfile (link below in sig) for clips of my dual exhaust. Strait pipes on a 5.4

wat'd u do with ur O2 sensors. and cats? isn't there 4 cats on them 5.4's?

ilpadrino113
05-13-2006, 06:30 PM
you will probably see a drop in gas mileage and few extra hp with straights. I always run straights on my truck, i love the sound of an open small block chevy. Worth the extra 5$ a week on gas

PolarisRider06
05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
fords have always been pretty dang good with their stock exhaust causing extremely low backpressure, mechanic showed me the readings at work last summer on a few different f-150's over the summer and told me that fords almost always have almost no backpressure (well under 1 pound) and unless you pull the cats and mufflers you wont reduce the backpressure much....

now if you are going for true duals right off of the manifolds putting in a set glasspacks could be a good idea, they will quiet it down a little bit and you can change the sound depending on the positioning, closer to the engine you get more snap and farther from the engine its a little more of just rumble on the top rpms.