PDA

View Full Version : Do i quit riding at the age of 16 or what?

yamablaster24
05-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Last year in May-June time i broke both my legs and had to have rod and screws put into one of them. Did not go to physical therapy and ended up just not worryin about it. Year later my knees and legs are giving me horrible pains and i now have a limp. Before it rains my bones ache horribly and i can barely bend my right knee anymore without shooting pain. After riding or big race my legs hurt for days. Basically i think im going to give it up because im only 16 and can barely walk. I think i need to worry more about my future now and this is just hurting it. What do yall reccomend?

Ralph
05-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Become a weatherman

Mxjunkie
05-09-2006, 08:56 PM
You only live once..

I'm 16 as well, I have a bad back ( broke my tail bone and bruised a vertabra couple years ago), bad knee ( shattered ), bad wrists ( broke right one 2 times, fractured left twice and broke once, had to many concussions to remeber, bumps, bruises, cuts and the list goes on. I wake up every morning and I have to crack my back or I feel weird all day long. After I ride I can barley walk right but hey I dont wanna give it up. :D I've raced since I was 5-13 and I plan on racing from 16 till I cant anymore :D

05-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Skipping PT was the biggest mistake you could ever make when it comes to an injury like that.

Plante400
05-09-2006, 09:02 PM
how the hell do you break both your legs and hurt yourself that bad.. man im sorry...

Fred55
05-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Like stated before PT would have helped you like you couldnt imagine! I smashed my AC joint together last august in football and it still hurt in jan until we started injecting cortison in between the joint...now after two injections it feels great...doing sports in school.,...especially track has helped me stay in great shape and my body feels better than ever.

yamablaster24
05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
got ranover by a Pathfinder (SUV) then a month later i cased a double and had tib-fib clean break which needed the screws and rods. I think if I sell the quad and get about 7-8k i can invest that in something for my future. I really think i need to start worrying about what im gonna do with my life and not the temporary highs.

05-09-2006, 09:20 PM
i would quit if i was u

i had a broken disc in my back (skating)

and i can bend my left arm all the way back anymore(broke arm 4 times)
none were 4 wheeler related

05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
i would quit if i was u

i had a broken disc in my back (skating)

and i can bend my left arm all the way back anymore(broke arm 4 times)
none were 4 wheeler related

Damn, you quit everything dont you?

Anyway, I'd take it easy for a month or two, just relax, do some stuff to your legs or something, lol I dont know. But I wouldnt give up yet.
And plus, you just got that quad new like this year.

antman
05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
i wont stop riding untill i cant hold myself on the quad any more. riding is very important to me and it is somthing i am going to do and be a part of up untill the day i die... even if it kills me. not that i am gonna look for an accident but nothing is going to stop me from living my life to the fullest because who knows you could get hit by a bus tomarrow.

-"You only live once, make it count."-

Mxjunkie
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I'll be honest with you, I stopped riding for a month and got into body building ( I know it sounds gay but what ever ) I felt really good, then I started riding again but still lifted and did carido and I dont feel near as bad as I use too.

miller821
05-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I'll be honest with you, I stopped riding for a month and got into body building ( I know it sounds gay but what ever ) I felt really good, then I started riding again but still lifted and did carido and I dont feel near as bad as I use too.
Ya dude don't give up, but take a break and strenghten your legs up and that will help bro... But even if you don't wanna race (Which I can understand that) you can still trail ride man, but just take it easy.. But just do what you think, cause your hurt and I don't know what you can and can't do so its up to you in the end..

TacomaNC4X4
05-09-2006, 09:45 PM
you dont gotta quit riding...if u have to just quit racing. mabey just trail ride and mess around. i use to race dirtbikes but quit because everybody took it too seriously. all i do now is trail ride and mabey go to the track every now and then just for fun. but it dont seem to put alot of strees on my legs.
just take a break for awhile and see how it goes

derekhonda
05-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Get your body back into some kind of shape before you think about riding again. Just like josh said, lift some weights, run a little bit, stretch out and get more flexible....stuff like that will make you a better rider (and safer if you get in another crash)

Quad18star
05-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Make the decision that you think is right for you .

Lots of guys will say keep riding , some will say quit , but you're the only person that knows how much pain you're in and how much you can tolerate .

Just think of it this way ..... some guys are saying they are 16 or 17 and feel like they are 60 yet still ride ...... What are these guys going to feel like when they are actually 60 ?? DEAD !!!!

Just like any other sport , the physical punishement that your body goes through when you're younger , will affect you in the long run . Take a look at hockey players or football players ...... the guys that got hurt when they were younger and still played .... now look at them when they are in their 50s and 60s .... half these guys can't move cuz of serious pain and are dependant on pain pills .

I had my leg busted pretty badly also ... I can predict the weather days in advance .... I wanted to race MX but decided it was in my best interest for my physical safety not to . Doesn't mean I don't go out and have a Sunday ride with my buddies , just means I'm not going out there hitting huge jumps and putting my leg through pain everytime .

It's your decision !!

jrd426
05-10-2006, 06:14 AM
dude get use to it!!! i have been in the same boat as you for the past 5 years. i actually broke 16 bones in 3 crashes racing the nationals.i have rods,pins,screws,and hip replacements.i just started riding/racing again this year. so my advice to you is sack up if you can and ride again.if you cant,then just give it up for alittle and you'll figure out if you want it that bad!!!!

05-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
and got into body building ( I know it sounds gay but what ever ) Yeah, it does.

nosliw
05-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Become a weatherman

i don't understand why noone else got a kick out of this :D

PismoLocal
05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Become a weatherman
LMAo

Mxjunkie
05-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
Yeah, it does.

Oh la la :bandit:

PismoLocal
05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Seriously though you only live once and personally do you want to live the rest of your life in pain or walking with a cane or in a wheel chair? Ya is riding that important because it shouldn't be. You should look into drag racing or something if you aren't ready to sell your quad.

zeppelin
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
i agree with the other guys that said to take up more casual riding like dunes or trails, or maybe a diferent sport like drag racing or off roadin'. you can have fun off of an mx track.

TheMachine
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
got ranover by a Pathfinder (SUV) then a month later i cased a double and had tib-fib clean break which needed the screws and rods. I think if I sell the quad and get about 7-8k i can invest that in something for my future. I really think i need to start worrying about what im gonna do with my life and not the temporary highs.

If you do quit I have a suggestion. It hurts but try getting into paintball. When I'm not riding I play paintball and love it. You could be a back man and just stay in one spot the whole time so you wouldn't have to run alot.

05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Go back to PT! They will stretch everything out. It made me feel so good after the work they did on my leg.

But if u do sell the wheeler.. give me a deal on that front end :devil:

I broke my leg before n its going to rain this weekend..

trick250r
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
i hate to be the dick in this thread but, you should've went to physical therapy. it would still hurt, but not as bad.

A A R O N
05-10-2006, 04:48 PM
If you wouldn't mind sharing, How did you get run over by an suv and who was driving it?:eek2:

yamablaster24
05-10-2006, 05:25 PM
it was at a grad. party and it was one of my good buddies. We were goin down the street and i was runnin after him trying to get on the runnin board but missed and he rolled overit sideways. Today after bein sick and missin work i thought about it and looked at all my pics and realized i would be like just every other kid out there without my quad and without racing. I think im gonna just keep to it until i cant walk, tomorrow im goin to practice at a track and ill see how my knee feels then, yesterday at worked i crunked it with a 10 pound sledge and its a little sore...

rmz250
05-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
it was at a grad. party and it was one of my good buddies. We were goin down the street and i was runnin after him trying to get on the runnin board but missed and he rolled overit sideways. Today after bein sick and missin work i thought about it and looked at all my pics and realized i would be like just every other kid out there without my quad and without racing. I think im gonna just keep to it until i cant walk, tomorrow im goin to practice at a track and ill see how my knee feels then, yesterday at worked i crunked it with a 10 pound sledge and its a little sore...

I thought it was an atv accident?

juanki
05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
one of the best thing you can do to help your body is swiming, you do an exercise in all your body and doesnt take any punishment, and keep the pt.
i broke my wrist, well dislocated mi wrist and pt helped me alot.

like some say, be careful and ride trails or something. you'r 16 have a lot of life in front and woudnt be nice if you cant do things normal, one of my friends broke his ..... dont know in english, but is a bone on the shoulder, anyways, he coudnt carry his new born baby and that got the best of him, he sold his quad.

i'll switch to tt or someting like that, without jumps

pineway
05-11-2006, 08:04 PM
the swimming idea is a really good idea. Why dont you try calling a physical therapist, tell him your situation and see if they can help you, im sure they have some kind of exercises that can strengthen your legs up. Taking a few months off might be a good thing too just to let your body rest for a little while.

250r rider 88
05-11-2006, 09:30 PM
well heres my story when i was just about to turn 16 two years ago i had a severely screwed up back, scoliosis two ways back made an S with a 17 and 18 degree curve on the sides and kyphosis which is hunchabck of 70 degrees had spinal fusion with two 15 in harrington rods and i still ride i just ttok it easy for the last two years and will start racing next year if it were me i would og for it but if it hurts that much maybe just rec ride

05-11-2006, 10:37 PM
your health is the most important thing you can have, anyone with a brain knows that...i understand you love riding but you do not want to just think short term...think how you want to feel when your 25,40, 60 and 75 years old...your quad wont be able to do things for you at those ages like your legs will be able to...your body is very very important, dont damage it for silly reasons...

Look at it this way...if you were to only have 1 quad for the rest of your life time how would you treat it?? You only get 1 set of legs....do the smart thing

Factory 450r
05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but GO SEE A DOCTOR before it's too late.

I have always had anger problems and always punched brick walls, or anything like that when I got mad. A couple years of this and I went to the doctor because my knuckles and wrist on my right hand were always hurting since that is the hand I always hit stuff with.

Mainly he tells me that all this punching led me to have a compression fracture in my wrist that healed on it's own since I never went to the doctor and always just toughed out my injuries. Years from now he said by the condition of my hand already, even if I never hit another thing in my life I will most likely develop arthritis from swollen knuckles all the time. I'm talking swollen as in your middle knuckle, index finger knuckle, and ring finger knuckle swollen so big that it almost looked like one huge knuckle.

I have not punched anything in a very long time but yup, from my stupid decisions in the past, I wake up every day with a hurting hand

Bottom line, go to the doctor before it catches up to you when you're older and hurts you for the rest of your life.