PDA

View Full Version : 03 LT50 restrictor removal???

bmurray
05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I have read about carb and exhaust restrictors that can be removed from the LT50. Can someone please give me some details on this. Thanks for any help.

Livin4Real
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
If you pull the top of the carb off where the cable goes in and follow the cable down you'll find a little plastic or metal spacer theat keeps the slide from opening all the way up, remove it and put it back together. Make sure you put the slide back in correctly. The other one is in the header pipe where it meets the exhaust port on the engine, take the pipe off and you'll see a little piece of metal blocking most of the header pipe with a slit in the middle, just put a screwdriver in the slit and wiggle it loose, you may have to heat the pipe up to get it out.

bmurray
05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
thanks Livin4Real, this is exactly what I was looking for. later, Bob

Mr.D
05-21-2006, 04:41 PM
I believe that there is another as well, it's in the small intake pipe between the carb and the head. Removing it will likely result in you needing to rejet the carb...

bmurray
05-21-2006, 09:38 PM
didn't find one at the start of the headpipe.

moloss
06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
my son has a 2005....there's a washer thing that you have to pull off where the pipe and head meet, look close you will see it.

bmurray
06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
was it on the pipe or head? thanks

Livin4Real
06-16-2006, 09:23 PM
The other one is in the header pipe where it meets the exhaust port on the engine, take the pipe off and you'll see a little piece of metal blocking most of the header pipe with a slit in the middle, just put a screwdriver in the slit and wiggle it loose, you may have to heat the pipe up to get it out.

cjkranz
06-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I found the same thing. I took off the header pipe and there wasn't a restrictor ring in it. I haven't looked anywhere else yet..

Livin4Real
06-28-2006, 09:04 PM
If you don't have one in the header then your good to go.

gd71
07-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Do you need to rejet if you do the intake and carb removal and does it make much difference?

MXin700R
07-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
If you pull the top of the carb off where the cable goes in and follow the cable down you'll find a little plastic or metal spacer theat keeps the slide from opening all the way up, remove it and put it back together. Make sure you put the slide back in correctly. The other one is in the header pipe where it meets the exhaust port on the engine, take the pipe off and you'll see a little piece of metal blocking most of the header pipe with a slit in the middle, just put a screwdriver in the slit and wiggle it loose, you may have to heat the pipe up to get it out.
Are you talking about the plastic piece that holds the spring around the needle? If not this may be the problem Im having with my daughters.

Livin4Real
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
It will be a plastic spacer about 3/8 in tall if I recall. After you pull the top off the carb, push on the throttle while holding the top and you should see where it limits the slide travel, take this out and reassemble making sure you put it back together the way it came apart and make sure the correct grooves in the slide are matched up to the correct nubs in the carb, one will be deeper than the other.

1fst400
08-26-2006, 04:48 PM
does that go for the 06's as well?

Dave83
08-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Our 03 didnt have the exhaust restrictor either.Im going to look at the carb.Thanks for the info.

MXin700R
09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
The only plastic spacer I seen in the carb holds tension on the needle so I didnt remove it. My daughters has a 1mm over Wiseco piston, shaved and polished head, ported cylinder, baffle removed, exhaust washer removed(were the pipe bolts to the engine), and the intake restrictor removed(at the end of the intake pipe were it bolts to the engine). Also, I premix- pluged the oil off). I had to go from the stock 55 jet all the way to a 85 to get the plug to lookin right. I can get on it and do doughnuts on it, pop wheelies will sittin down with ease, and go up grades half throttle were before wouldnt go up with a head start pinned. Its a BIG kick in the pants. I did all the machine work and all, my daughter loves it.

banshee_bandit
12-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Mr.D
I believe that there is another as well, it's in the small intake pipe between the carb and the head. Removing it will likely result in you needing to rejet the carb...

Are talking about that black spacer between the carb and the reed cage? There is 2 bolts that go thru the carb and that spacer to bolt it to the engine? If so ill be more then happy to rejet.

cmiller120
12-28-2006, 08:28 PM
hello took my sons lt 50 apart today didnt find the one in the carb i realy would like a pic of that but i did remove the carb and intake the intake was resticted bad it only had a 3/16 slit 1/2 in long in it took a dremal out and opend it all the way seems to have a lot more torqe

pcleiter
05-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I just removed the intake restrictor from my son's 2003 LT50. First impressions are that it has had some good effect, but we haven't had a chance yet to put it through its paces. I also drilled a few small holes in the airbox and it seems to be starving at full throttle so I have ordered a larger main jet for it.

I posted a few pics of the restrictor and intake pipe before and after working on it. Check my homepage to see them.

lyrikz74
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by pcleiter
I just removed the intake restrictor from my son's 2003 LT50. First impressions are that it has had some good effect, but we haven't had a chance yet to put it through its paces. I also drilled a few small holes in the airbox and it seems to be starving at full throttle so I have ordered a larger main jet for it.

I posted a few pics of the restrictor and intake pipe before and after working on it. Check my homepage to see them.

I know this is a super old post, but where did you order the jet from?

pcleiter
08-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Wow. It's been so long, I don't recall. I think that I either ordered it from BikeBandit.com, or maybe eBay. Where-ever it is that you do go for yours, you might want to consider getting 3 of them - one that is the size you think you'll need, one that is a size larger, and one that is a size smaller.

Come to think of it, I might have bought a 'kit' of these that had a range of sizes in it.

BTW, the bike is still running great. The mods were well worth the effort.