PDA

View Full Version : custom a-arms?

nicktrx400ex
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
has anybody made custom a-arms i think i could make my stock ones into +2 a-arms.

nicktrx400ex
05-09-2006, 07:32 PM
do this for all 4 a-arms for under $80

416exmx
05-09-2006, 07:47 PM
You're fixing on hurting yourself. Dont use aluminum either.

Moto250X_Rider
05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
wow.,.....i have nothing to say about this one but WOW......
this kid is the reason i have a job as a firefighter/rescue worker lol

ZSK
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
How are you going to weld aluminum to steel?

400exrider707
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
How are you going to weld aluminum to steel?

LOL I was thinking the same thing...
either way dont bother. Why would you hack the ends off, instead of just making the entire arm yourself? Are you planning on making a jig? What are you going to make that out of? Making a-arms is rather complicated. Since your going with a non-adjustable design where are you going to set your caster and camber at?

Ex_Rider43
05-10-2006, 03:37 PM
THIS SITE NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME.

05-10-2006, 07:45 PM
just go to home depot and buy a steel strecher...

400sEXridr
05-11-2006, 10:58 AM
would something like this work, where a solid steel slug was machined down on the ends and inserted where the a-arm was cut to provide support for the weld?

CannondaleRider
05-11-2006, 01:40 PM
It's not the structural integrity of the arms that we're talking about. You can't just lengthen A-Arms, without putting some serious work into getting the Geometries right.

So, if you have to lengthen them in some odd way, to get the geometries right, then you myswell build your own arms, instead of modifying the stockers

If the geometries arn't correct, you can get SERIOUS bump steer, among all kinds of other odd characteristics.

nicktrx400ex
05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
yea im gona make them from scratch so if i mess up o' well i tried and can still go for a ride when its all said and done.

400sEXridr
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
can u explain what u mean by the geometry and how it would be adversely affected. how could this be corrected

fandl450r
05-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 400sEXridr
can u explain what u mean by the geometry and how it would be adversely affected. how could this be corrected

The geometry of the arms: shock mounting points, leverage ratios, angles, bends. How wouldn't it be adversely affect? People obviously underestimate the amount of time that goes into the design of chassis parts. To your second question, buy arms that are already made. Saving yourself a couple hundred bucks isn't worth riding on the worst built arms to date. :rolleyes:

05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
if you havent ever used a welder befor you might wanna do some other projects first, so you dont break your head off.

just get your measurements right and build a jig...take you're time, and they should turn out just fine.

JOEX
05-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by nicktrx400ex
yea im gona make them from scratch so if i mess up o' well i tried and can still go for a ride when its all said and done.
What if the arms malfunctioned at high speed? Or on a face of a jump? Or on the landing of a jump? Or in the first corner of a race?......

05-11-2006, 08:41 PM
and yall made fun of me for flipping my rims!! :p

lol they are back around and i have brakes too

nicktrx400ex
05-12-2006, 01:19 PM
im gona take alot of test rides before any racing and do ittle things to make them better.

Loser450
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
If you're only gonna spend $80 bucks, buy a set of wheel spacers. That'll be a LITTLE safer.

prepracing
05-13-2006, 05:05 AM
what is it with everybody thinking fabricating your own quad parts such as a-arms and swing-arms is like rocket science or something ??? Believe it or not there are many people who have the knowledge and ability and the stuff to do it with. Just because you can't do it don't go preaching how bad an idea it is. Man I say if you can build them then go for it :macho

yamablaster24
05-13-2006, 07:09 AM
buddy made me these, they are almost a walsh clone with some subtle differences

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/yamablastermx/LongTravel4-29-06024.jpg

JW450R1
05-13-2006, 04:21 PM
yes, i agree with prepracing.....
they are all made by humans,jigs,migs,and tigs.just get a set of a-arms and stick to it.

JOEX
05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
what is it with everybody thinking fabricating your own quad parts such as a-arms and swing-arms is like rocket science or something ??? Believe it or not there are many people who have the knowledge and ability and the stuff to do it with. Just because you can't do it don't go preaching how bad an idea it is. Man I say if you can build them then go for it :macho
It may not be rocket science but there's more to it than welding some pieces of metal together. I know there are many people who have the knowledge but I doubt they will be coming on this forum asking questions about their design.

For those that do wish to fabricate their own products I give them full support if they do so with a reasonable amount of R&D before putting the product into use.

ZSK
05-14-2006, 09:11 AM

If you can build a se of A's that work properly and hold up to the abuse go for it, in this case I doubt that the thread originator has the ability. I judge this soley on the fact that he inends to weld steel and aluminum.

JW450R1
05-14-2006, 09:59 AM
i gree if u can build your own more power too u.thats awesome.
just keep in mind on the profensional weilds,and also taking your time and doing it right.if it pans out for u.keep me in mind on the ending results.how much $,and also time.that wood be great.

05-14-2006, 12:28 PM
not for ATV's, but simular application

http://the-mite.com/mite10.htm

R3Concepts
05-14-2006, 01:08 PM

Wow, very well said. I just took a little time to read through both of these threads. If you are going to take on something like this, take your time. Look around and ask questions. Decide the style you want. Make a jig. You are going to need a good hydraulic bender, a tig, and some other small tools. Everyone started somewhere, and as the owner of a fab shop in Tucson, I also say go for it. But dont be afraid to ask for help.

Whats with all these Yahoos and there:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ..Thats childish, if he wants to build them then let him learn how to do it. Besides, he may build you a-arms 5 years down the road. Not everyone has mommy and daddy to pay for it, and the prestige in doing it yourself is 10 fold better.

A little inspiration, heres the swingarm I built for my drag TRX. Good luck.

05-14-2006, 03:43 PM
for those people that say it cant be done, those are just the people that listen to what others say... i have considered trying to build my own A arms but have never gotton serious about the idea

My dads friend builds race car frames for a living right out of his garage and he would laugh at everyone on here saying something like that cannot be done

MY gfs dad used to build his OWN flat track bikes, it wasnt yamaha, honda, suzuki or kawi frames, IT WAS HIS OWN...people on here are so quick to jump all over someones idea if it is slightly out of the box

remember if it wasnt for people like this guy wanting to build his own a arms, we wouldnt have alot of the technology we have now

remmeber when 99.9% of the people on the earth KNEW the earth was flat

or 100 years ago people said we would never be able to fly, and now airports are all over the world

People also said Bill Gates would never make it anywhere, he started microsoft out of his garage!

So i say if you want to attempt to extended your own A arms, DO IT! do it and prove everyone on this forum wrong!

Goodluck with your build!

nicktrx400ex
05-14-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks for the great replys

05-14-2006, 05:00 PM
sure thing man, i hope you do make set of custom A arms just to shut everyone on this tread up ;)

nicktrx400ex
05-14-2006, 05:02 PM
im only 15 and i hope evey one on this tread thats said neg. remarks dont have kids couse they prob wont ever try anything with negative remarks like some of the it wont work crap.

nicktrx400ex
05-14-2006, 05:08 PM
one thing i need help on and that is how to mount the shocks on the arms.

R3Concepts
05-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
for those people that say it cant be done, those are just the people that listen to what others say... i have considered trying to build my own A arms but have never gotton serious about the idea

My dads friend builds race car frames for a living right out of his garage and he would laugh at everyone on here saying something like that cannot be done

MY gfs dad used to build his OWN flat track bikes, it wasnt yamaha, honda, suzuki or kawi frames, IT WAS HIS OWN...people on here are so quick to jump all over someones idea if it is slightly out of the box

remember if it wasnt for people like this guy wanting to build his own a arms, we wouldnt have alot of the technology we have now

remmeber when 99.9% of the people on the earth KNEW the earth was flat

or 100 years ago people said we would never be able to fly, and now airports are all over the world

People also said Bill Gates would never make it anywhere, he started microsoft out of his garage!

So i say if you want to attempt to extended your own A arms, DO IT! do it and prove everyone on this forum wrong!

Goodluck with your build!

We do that to!

boricua
05-14-2006, 06:51 PM
ive built a few class 5 baja bugs......your welding ability NEEDS to be good! there is only one way to really find out and its not the easy way. asided from that, each arm...upper and lower, need to be sized accordingly so that they maintain geometry as much as possible throughout the travel. where you place the shock....i think there is a trial and error with that. closer to the wheel gives more 'real time' input to the shock, usually results in a bumpy ride but not always...further away from the wheel can cause the shock to have less input when compared to the wheel(i.e. wheel moves up 2", shock moves up 1")... the angle of the shock can contribute to shock speed....how fast the shock travels.
bottom line, make sure your welds are strong. like i said, you dont want to find a weak weld while testing. if it breaks.....could be the last set you build. once you've got a strong set of arms, play with shock location. keep in mind where you mount the shock will affect it's valving. thats what many mean by leverage.
if the shock is close to the frame, the rest of the arm has "X" amount of length, to the wheel, that will use leverage against the shock to move it....the longer "X" is the more leverage, get it.
good luck! you'll need it!

nicktrx400ex
05-14-2006, 07:17 PM
that was helpfull but how should i mount it thats what i meant like bracketts wise.

nicktrx400ex
05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
what type of tubing should i use

boricua
05-14-2006, 07:41 PM
i used 1/4"....no less than 3/16th" steel to make my brackets, top and bottom....both sides of the shock. but thats for a baja bug. you might be able to get away with thinner metal on a quad. as far as tubing. DOM tubing. Drawn Over Mandrel. much stronger than welded tubing the kind with a seam running down the length. its a bit more expensive though, but strong. its usually the preferred choice of steel for rollcages aside from chromoly, which offers the same strength, structural integrity with a thinner wall thickness thereby saving some weight, at an even higher cost of course. you might want to start with welded tubing, its cheaper....plus i doubt you'll get it right the first time. a jig, clamps of some sort will help....a lot. almost a must.
an idea, start by making a jig for stock length arms using stock arms, then make some stock length arms....maybe play with shock mounting locations....then after you built some confidence, use that jig to help you make a plus 1 arm....so on and so forth. sounds like a lot of work. but seriously, you cant expect to stand on top of other's shoulders and come out ahead........

'you must walk before you run, grasshopper":muscle:

R3Concepts
05-14-2006, 07:42 PM
First off, standard travel or long travel, and we can go from there.

1fst400
05-14-2006, 08:46 PM
-----OR------

I have a set of used laeger +2 a-arms. give ya a heck of a deal and sell them to ya for 250$.