PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 660 vs. Bombardier DS 650

jrb400ex
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
i was wondering what was batter all around the Raptor 660 or the DS650

raptorbob
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Both machines have more than enough torque and horsepower to do anything you would want them to do. They both make lots of bottom end and midrange power.The differance in them is really their size. The Raptor is narrower, shorter, and lighter therefore better for bush or forest trails where width might be an issue or for mud or snow or loose sand etc. where ever you might get stuck and have to lift it out.
The DS is typically a great dune machine or any where width is not an issue. It is also a little less tippy than the Raptor bacause of the width and is more confidance inspiring when sliding or drifting corners. Being a little heavier, the DS is not the best for situations where you might have to lift it out.It is also not as responsive to body english, like when correcting in the air while jumping.
I'm not sure on this point but I think there is probably alot less aftermarket parts for the DS650. Best to check on that if modifying is something you would want to do.
I have a Raptor myself and a freind of mine has a DS.If possible try to ride both before you decide, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either Quad, they are both excellent machines.
Hope this helps you out.

Blue_Streak23
05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
That is correct, although I believe the DS650 has a little more top end. Thats what Dirt Wheels review said.:D

Quad Boy 660r
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
The big prob with the DS is no reverse. I saw my buddy (average build) take all of 10 minutes turning around the one he was riding in the pouring rain after he overshot a berm. Funny as hell.

I got a Rap, so I may be biased, but I'd get that. I did ride a DS, but did not get an accurate feel of it because the clutch was shot.

raptorbob
05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I forgot to mention about no reverse on the DS, thanks for pointing that out. I am brand loyal to Yamaha as well but try to stay unbiased when asked my opinion. I personally would not buy a quad with no reverse. Just think about how many times you back up be it due to a wrong turn down a trail or trying to get unstuck. I can't imagine living without reverse, but thats just my personal opinion, take it for what its worth.

450rJam
05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I am totally impressed with the reviews/info you guys are giving,
its all nuts on with no bias (hard to get that kind of honesty)
you guys have my respect.
both are solid quads that will give you tons of fun

250r4life
05-10-2006, 06:18 PM
unless you're a big ol' dude, i would get the raptor... that ds is a big stable bike, but man, that thing is big and that thing is heavy... you have to really work to get the front end up on a ds, and the raptor is considerably easier, which that has its advantages and disadvantages...

but like somebody already said, the advantage is that there are so many more raptors out there that parts are a lot more accessible and inexpensive, as well as people are more familiar with fixing and maintaining them... i also think that if it came time to sell the machine, the raptor would hold its value better and would be easier to sell.. just my $.02

IMO, unless you are over 250lbs, it should be a pretty easy decision to choose the raptor, and if you are over 250, there is still plenty to consider...