PDA

View Full Version : Stupid reeds

airheadedduner
08-05-2002, 10:51 PM
My R has an off idle\low speed stumble, jetting has not corrected the problem, could it be a bent reed? I have had the bike for 3 years and have not replaced them. I don't want to tear the thing apart and find out its not the problem.

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-05-2002, 10:56 PM
A bent reed? LOL, I never seen a bent one, but i have seen busted/chipped ones. From what you said that could be the problem, I would pull it apart and check, its not too hard ;)

OutlawEX
08-05-2002, 11:06 PM
HEy man it sounds like a personal problem,bent eye socket maybe:huh ,lol,JJ,I doubt a reed is bent because its carbon fiber and carbon fiber only flexes"bends" when a force is applied...It might have melted but bent i doubt...Hope u solve the problem

airheadedduner
08-05-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm running boysen reeds which are plastic\epoxy. They do bend if you do not run reed stops i have seen it happen. I lucked out anyway and just found a spare set of top-end gskets.

OutlawEX
08-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I'm running boysen reeds which are plastic\epoxy. They do bend if you do not run reed stops i have seen it happen. I lucked out anyway and just found a spare set of top-end gskets.

Hey man My boysene where carbon fiber,so i was thinking that u had the same ,so i thought id give ya some help

airheadedduner
08-06-2002, 10:45 PM
One was bent and another cracked. I think I will buy the carbons.

Evan
08-06-2002, 11:20 PM
Its funny this thread should come up, my R just ate a reed. I thought it was the plug, it wouldnt run so I changed the plug and it would run choppy, like whenever you gave it more than 1/4 throttle it would die, almost like it was out of gas or the kill switch was on. So after doing many things and not even checking or susspecting the reeds I finally found the problem. The reeds were brand new so I didnt think there would be anything wrong with them. Not even 2 tanks of gas on them, and they are carbon v force 2s. It sucked part of on of them into the cylinder I guess, I dont know how, buts its gone. So I am ordering new reeds. Its worth a look, yank the carb and reed cage out and check it, doesnt take much time.