PDA

View Full Version : Rascal Eton 40 cc issues

yfz450admirer
05-09-2006, 09:26 AM
I bought this Rascal. I have replaced the ignition (spark plug wire and module), and the control module (square shaped module with two wires coming out of it). The quad gets plenty of spark. I can not keep the quad running for more than 10 minutes on the trail, it just dies out of nowhere when the throttle is pushed. When I look at the spark plug it is wet and it appears to have been flooded? When I have the quad at my house on a support I have kept the quad running for more than 20 minutes without any problems and than just turned it off myself.
Any ideas?
thanks

Dave J.
05-12-2006, 05:20 AM
It sounds like you have a fuel issue. I have no experience with the 40 but do with the 90’s. They have a filter in the line at the tank that will clog. Also it could be the jet in your carb that has become clogged. I would suspect the carb. Pull the jets out and see if you can see through them holding them to the light. If not clean them till you do.

yfz450admirer
05-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the input. I have done both things multiple times in the past without any change. Any other ideas?

2StrokeGod
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Check your spark plug i have the same bike and insulator came loose and moved up and down and gave me the same results.

yfz450admirer
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
I have replaced the spark plug multiple times. This quad is making me crazy.
The plug fouls out a lot and there are not very many adjustments on the carburetor any suggestions?
I have been running 32:1 oil-gas, but I am going to try 50:1 to see if that helps.
Oil drips from the end of the pipe when idling.

thanks for the input!

Livin4Real
06-13-2006, 05:17 PM
try a smaller main jet

yfz450admirer
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM
50:1 did not help anything. The carburetor has a very basic design and there does not appear to be any main jets in its's configuration.

Dave J.
06-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Your carburetor should have two jets. If you remove the carb and remove the fuel bowl you should see them. One should be right in the center and the smaller one next to it. They should be clean so that you can see light through them.
You were saying that when idling you have oil dripping out the pipe. Does the quad have a separate oil tank? If it has one it could be the adjustment on the oil injector that is operated from the throttle cable.
I have also heard that the pipes on these minis can become clogged. (Muffler) You might want to check that. If you can post a pic of the carb.

QuadJunkies
06-23-2006, 09:16 PM
He is running Premix from what I just read ;)

I would get a UNI and increase the airflow. It will be easier to jet UP and than down,they are harder to find

DECREASE the fuel flow... OR...... INCREASE the airflow...As wet spark pulg means you are runnig too fat... TR me on this... been there...done that MANY,MANY times....

A 50/1 gas mix vs. a 32/1 will make the quad run LEANER,but its difficult to jet ANY bike by just a change in oil to gas ratio.You never know where your going to end up with.

MY son was at one point running an 80/1 mix my DAughter was running a 40/1 mix,he was two jet sizes up from hers,-she had the bigger motor and he used TWICE the amt of fuel... Not a good way to go... ;)

We have also been told by two race companies that you can try and run a hotter plug to burn off any extra fuel IF YOU CAN NOT FIND SMALLER JETS... Stock is prol a BR7HS , maybe try a 6. Carried at most NAPA or Schucks. It will cause the motor to have a bit mroe heat,but they are low revving and low powered motors, so that should never come into play. If you do go from a 32/1 to a 50/1, make sure that oil guidelines allow that cause some oils arent made to proplerly mix at that ratio.

I hope some of this info helps cause Im leaning towards if being your jetting...

Oh and also, check to see if one of your reeds are sticking open,they should be flat against the reed cage and if they are not,that may be part of the problem.

Whats your Elevation anyhow??

Tina

Livin4Real
06-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Also oil dripping from your headpipe is a common thing in two strokes, nothing bad.

yfz450admirer
07-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I have worked on plenty of machines, but the unfamiliarity I have with the e-ton design had me stumped. Cut to the chase, I looked at the carb closer as was suggested and I did find a main jet two steps down in size from a 64 to a 60 and I no longer have any problems with the quad. After reading Livn4real's comment, I was like no way I have already been there, that can't be the issue--------finally I humbled myself and tried it and it worked like a charm. I was trying to sell that that thing as fast as I could for next to nothing, I am just glad no one picked it up...

mxdad423
07-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Yea you are definatley running to rich, you plug should burn a milk choclate brown color, to do a good check start the bike let it warm up for a min. then hold the throttle wide open for about a min then with the throttle wide open after a min shut the bike off and keep the throttle wide open until it completly shuts off pull the plug if it is black you need to go down on you main jet. a little dripping is normal but a good jetted 2 stroke you will notice very little drip. I would stick to the 50:1 in the 40cc 32:1 I think is a little rich for a 40cc. If you get you plug burning good and it still does it do a compression check it could be due for a rebuild and once it gets warm it could be loosing compression but I really think from what you said you will find the problem in you jetting.Good luck