PDA

View Full Version : Ride hieth

blakefoote
05-09-2006, 07:22 AM
what you guys got your ground clearance at??? I just eredid mine today at like an inch or two lower in the front than in the back and i really like the improvement....just wondering what yall had yalls at for MX...i had it at 7 1/4 in and now its like 7 1/2 in the back and like 7 or 6 3/4in in the front and it rides pretty awesome now....I want it to feel like a TT quad out there on the MX track b/c my 400ex felt so sweet in the turns....what are yall at???

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Well I think it should be the other way around. You usually should have the rear end sitting lower than the front for MX. I usually run mine around 7-7 1/4" in the rear and then a 1/2" higher in the front depending on what the rear is set at. All depends on track conditions. Raise is for deeper tracks, lower it for harder packed. Oh and one more thing, for future reference, its height ;)

400exrider707
05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Well I think it should be the other way around. You usually should have the rear end sitting lower than the front for MX. I usually run mine around 7-7 1/4" in the rear and then a 1/2" higher in the front depending on what the rear is set at. All depends on track conditions. Raise is for deeper tracks, lower it for harder packed. Oh and one more thing, for future reference, its height ;)

Exactly, it needs to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher in the front, with you sitting on it. Dont forget all ride height measurements need to be done with the rider sitting on the quad!

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Exactly, it needs to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher in the front, with you sitting on it. Dont forget all ride height measurements need to be done with the rider sitting on the quad!

Yes! Thanks, I completely forgot to mention that.

KRMit
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
You take the measurements behind the a-arms before the frame kicks up in the front right?

R3Concepts
05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
The Honda frame is F-L-A-T on the bottom. The ride height needs to be the same.

JRP
05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
hey jsu a question, how do you lower/raise your ride heigth? Is it just through the suspension?

blakefoote
05-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JRP
hey jsu a question, how do you lower/raise your ride heigth? Is it just through the suspension?

yeah...

and i know your suppose to have it lower in the back but fro now on im runnin mine the opposite...not much but just a lil...b/c if you think about it when you pushing into a turn you front end needs to be sitting a lil lower in the front than in the back....so the front end can hold you up from teetering...I did mine yesterday and it has really helped the turning capabilities....

and by the way...i aint really worried about my spelling that much...if i did i prob wouldnt be doin this sport....:rolleyes:

JRP
05-09-2006, 07:06 PM
hey do they make a shock tool? Because ive jus been using a hammer and a flat head screwdriver.

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
The Honda frame is F-L-A-T on the bottom. The ride height needs to be the same.

Hmmm that's funny everyone I've talked to says differently. :rolleyes:

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
and by the way...i aint really worried about my spelling that much...if i did i prob wouldnt be doin this sport....:rolleyes:

Your spelling capabilities have nothing to do with the "sport." But you should be worried if you ever plan on having a full time job. I swear kids these days. :devil: Can't spell to save their life, but of course "it doesn't matter."

bwilson624
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
hey do they make a shock tool? Because ive jus been using a hammer and a flat head screwdriver.

Yes, it's called a preload tool. You can get them from numerous catalogs. Try motosport.com.

KRMit
05-10-2006, 07:31 AM
The Honda frame is F-L-A-T on the bottom. The ride height needs to be the same. :huh Have you ever actually seen a 450r frame? There is a bend just past the a-arms. The frame is flat under the engine, but it's kicked up in the front.

R3Concepts
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by KRMit
:huh Have you ever actually seen a 450r frame? There is a bend just past the a-arms. The frame is flat under the engine, but it's kicked up in the front.

What it is?!!!??

Thats what Im talking about.

The ride height the same will make the bike ride better. Higher in the front will make the back end slide around easily. The rear higher will make the bike push. Try it, it might just work out, but then again you have all seen the crappy bikes we build.:rolleyes:

400exrider707
05-10-2006, 11:10 PM
What it is?!!!??

The ride height the same will make the bike ride better. Higher in the front will make the back end slide around easily. The rear higher will make the bike push. Try it, it might just work out, but then again you have all seen the crappy bikes we build.:rolleyes:

I always thought the slightly higher front end was to prevent the front from digging into the ground should the frame hit on impact. You know like the bottom of a boat or waverunner, or even a ski. It's angled up in the front to prevent diving in or catching. I guess not. Do you really think that having your ride height 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher in the front will effect handling that much?

blakefoote
05-11-2006, 09:00 PM
What it is?!!!??

well i have herd that if you set it a lil higher in the back than in the front that the back end will slide around easier and skim right across ruts in turns and that the front end a lil higher will make it dig lots more and hook up better...and from past experiences thats rite....:ermm: just me 2 cents

R3Concepts
05-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
well i have herd that if you set it a lil higher in the back than in the front that the back end will slide around easier and skim right across ruts in turns and that the front end a lil higher will make it dig lots more and hook up better...and from past experiences thats rite....:ermm: just me 2 cents

Your post is a little hard to understand but, the rear higher then the front will make the bike push.

The front higher then the rear will make the bikes rear end come around. Hence the term "rear steer"

To each is own on setup. Too many variables on that one.