PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 700 Programmable Fuel Control

lolachampcar
05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
The Raptor 700 is getting a fully programmable fuel control. If possible, I would like to get Owner’s and Tuner’s feedback before the product is finalized.

How many people want to mess with fully programmable fuel control versus just selecting already tuned Profiles for different engine, exhaust, airbox and fuel combinations? How many of you want to weld in (or have welded in) bungs for Ox sensors? Would you like to order exhaust pipes with an optional oxygen sensor bung already installed? What would this feature be worth to you (so the exhaust manufacturers can determine if it is worth their time to do it)? What is your priority for features like?-

Data logging for every second your Raptor has run
Programmable fuel
Programmable ignition
Ability to change-
Profiles (maps and all) on the bike without a PC
injector
fuel pressure
Extra features like-
extra pressure sensor for boosted applications (turbo, super)
electronic boost control
nitr. sol. drivers

I know what I want but that is not necessarily what you guys need....

Here is what is coming-
Direct replacement for stock ECU - Zero splicing into your harness.........
Fully programmable
Fuel
Ignition
At least 15 rider selectable Profiles. Profiles have everything from Maps and Timing to warmup enrichment and accelerator pump affect.

Mapping done by Volumetric Efficiency Table and Target Lambda Table
VE describes how your engine pumps and Target Lambda describes how rich or lean you want it to run at any point.

On board Bosch LSU4 wide band Lambda

At least 60 hours of logging and probably over 100 hours, all at 10 samples per second. There is no start or stop logging condition. All the data is stored since you first plugged it in and switched on the key. I do not know about you, but I am sick and tired of trying to track down intermittent problems without data.

Now for my real pet peeve and the reason I did this. Lambda is qualified as valid then sorted for each load point. The samples are then averaged and compared to your Target Lambda and you are presented with the result. If you choose, you can ask the program to fix your VE table to correct for rich or lean conditions on a cell by cell basis or globally for the whole map. I have spent way too many hours pouring over logged data from my megabuck data acq system to try figure out where I am rich or lean and by how much. PCs do this much faster and better than I can by hand. In addition, when you have the Lambda, logger and fuel control integrated, you can use engine status to qualify Lambda. In other words, if the engine is in warm-up mode, acceleration enrichment or deceleration enleanment, you just plain do not use the Lambda samples.

As for auto tune, I have never trusted a machine to make my tuning decisions even if its "authority" is limited. I would not expect you to either and thus it will not autotune. You look at the data for your machine and you decide what you want to do.

With respect to moving forward, the system is being finalized. Questions like how far from Target Lambda is acceptable? How many Profiles do you want on the Raptor?

All these things are being tweaked as we speak and thus I am very interested in people's thoughts and comments both positive and negative."

walsh450rHonda
05-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Wow that is an exensive piece. My honest opinion is that it is too much work for most owners. There are two problem. First the average rider wants to just ride. They would rather buy, for example, a pipe from a race shop and a fuel injection module that is already tuned for that specific pipe. Although I am a computer programmer and would have no problem analyzing the data I do not want to spend my weekends tuning my fuel injection. I would rather pay a professional for a product that has 100's of hours of R&D time done. This sounds more like a product that should be sold to Race shops like Sparks, Duncan, Racers Edge............ They would spend the time required to make it function the way a consumer would want. Now there are a select FEW, I mean very few that would love to have this product. Someone who has alot of time and money on thier hands. I am more than happy with my DynoJet PC III. It provides all the functions and simplicity that is needed.

Now with all that said.......................I might consider the product If an engine builder like Dan at Dasa would port my head run dyno test and tune the fuel injection accordingly. Should be able to get big numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tater_kamik
05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
i definately like that if i had a 700, im sure it will cost a pretty penny though but for highly modified quads...

lolachampcar
05-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Walsh450R

The nice thing about this approach is that I think you can have the best of both worlds. If you want to dive into the guts, you have all the tools to do the job.

If not, it can be had without the O2 option and you would still have-

The right profile for you comes on the box as the default profile.

If you want to play with other profiles, you can try them by using the throttle to select them when you first turn on the key. No PC needed.

You get ignition advance which gives you a lot more power from your Raptor and drops exhaust gas temperatures from 1530F to 1050F. You use the fuel in the combustion chamber instead of the exhaust pipe!

You get off throttle ignition advance engine braking. We have been working with riders to see how much they want or need. Any comments here would be welcome.

Any comments about how best to do the "I do not want to touch this thing" version are most welcome.

As for cost, these sites are not for people selling things but I think you all will be happy.

Thanks for the feedback.

NVMYRC
06-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I am researching this very topic right now. I am looking for a fully programmable FI system. I currenty have experience with the PowerCommander PCIIIr and USB. I like the fact that I can load map that has already been done for the mods on my bike but I can also have it done custom to just my bike. I like to be able to alter the ignition timing too. From what I can gather about the 700r the timing is a little retarded. Do the current plug and play modules that are only minutely adjustable advance the ignition at all? Thanks.

Craig,

lolachampcar
06-10-2006, 02:50 PM
To my knowledge, we are the only ones currently doing programmable ignition. I believe the pulse stretching devices on the market today, including the PC USB, only have access to the fuel injector connection and thus can only increase the opening signal to the injector.

As for timing, I think I have put this in other posts but the stock Raptor EFI generates exhaust gas temperatures in the 1530F range. Our initial timing of 28 degrees advanced under full load dropped the exhaust gas temperature to 1050F and the bike was noticeably crisper. That tells me Yamaha is not running much advance at all and that a lot of the combustion is still going on in the exhaust pipe.

NVMYRC
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey I hit you back on the Raptor Forum. I do have additional questions though. If you want to take this offline so we don't eat up so much space here I will PM you my email addy. Thanks.

Craig,

apopple
06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I just want to ride my 700..........:huh

NVMYRC
06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I second that but I think we are all speed junkies here and want to get the most out of our $7000 machine. DynoJet has come through with some info now. They do not have the ignition advance program attached to the quad PowerCommanders. It is in the works but not yet. So it looks as if this system being discussed here would be very beneficial to to recreational guy and the serious racer.

Craig,

philthy
06-15-2006, 03:48 PM
lolachampcar,,,, I am very interested in this! I sent you an email and I live in Miami not too far from you. Let me know.

lolachampcar
10-11-2006, 08:28 AM
The site is now up at www.EFIDude.com