PDA

View Full Version : car audio

antman
05-08-2006, 09:01 PM
hey guys. i am in the market for an AMP and SubWoofers for my new car. This is somthing i dont have a clue about so i am hoping someone can explane it to me.

I do know that you neew an AMP that can give the subs the right power so you dont damage them but i dont know how or why.

If someone can explane it to me i would really appreatiate it.
Thanks

antman
05-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Also... from what i know so far,I am considering two 12 inch subs but thats about as much as i know.

Let me know your opinion and what you know about car audio in general.

thanks

400ex28
05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
An amp is just to get more watt's out of your system to run the subs, depending on what watt rms the subs you want depends on the amp you get. You hook up power wire to the battery with a fuse block (normally 4guage wire) and ground wire from the amp. Then RCA and remote wire to the deck.. Then you hook up the speaker wire to the amp... then you gotta adjust the amp ect.

antman
05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
the car i bought had an amp and sub in it before i bought it but the guy kept em. so it is allready wired for it , just need the hardware.

moto440ex
05-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Before you get an Amp, you need to figure out what subs you are gonna get first, because you have to have the right amount of power goin to each sub for them to perform right and not mess up. If you get too much power to them, they can blow, or if u get too little power sometimes they can blow. I recommend JL audio or Diamond audio, they are a lil expensive, but its best to do it right the first time, because if your like me, you'll always want more bass if you buy cheap subs. I finally went with a JL w6 v2 Subwoofer and JL 500/1 amp, and its the best setup ive ever heard. Cheap subs dont hit notes smooth, and dont hit a good range of notes usually, just hit hard usually. The JL subs are probably the smoothest, best sounding subs money can buy. But yea just figure out the power output of the subs and then look for an amp. Hope this helped.

antman
05-08-2006, 09:57 PM
you have any pics of your set up?

moto440ex
05-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I have a pic of my sub somewhere, but i just sold it a few days ago, because i got a truck and it wont fit without doin alot of custom work, and i dont have the money right now, because im droppin all of it for gas and my 4-wheeler. But i still have my amp, and box, so i'll try to get those pics up tomorrow. But next im buyin two JL W1 v2 12's to put in a custom box im makin for the truck.

antman
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
sounds sik cant wait to see it

05-09-2006, 01:17 AM
get one of these

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/6/1CEC3F1D-BC7A-4B85-A592-02D95AD73E4F.htm

TGW_400ex
05-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Dude JL is not the only good sub out there. Look into RE's, DD's, Adire, etc these subs are loud and quality subs and are alot cheaper then the higher end JL's. JL = Overrated. Also check out Woofers Etc (www.woofersetc.com) . You can find some good deals here.

rbgnwa45
05-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Dude JL is not the only good sub out there. Look into RE's, DD's, Adire, etc these subs are loud and quality subs and are alot cheaper then the higher end JL's. JL = Overrated. Also check out Woofers Etc (www.woofersetc.com) . You can find some good deals here.

Couldn't of said it better. It's $400 for a JL re-cone (W7) which is insane. Kicker doesn't even have a patent on the CVRs. They are actually a cloned sub made by a no-name brand woofer, and is only about $50 bucks online! Ascendant audio, OZ audio, incriminator audio, are all brands that are not that big, but care more about the build & overall performance more than say, kicker, audiobahn, JL, etc. When you hear people speak on the W7, they'll either say it's the greatest woofer they've ever heard (and havn't heard many), or someone that says it's crap (and has many hours dealt with high end-low price brands like RE, adire, ascendant audio, etc)...Did you know the alpine type-R is louder than the type-X? I'm planning to get 2 ascendant arsenal 15's with a theloudest.com 1500W 2-channel amp...

badda12
05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
before going to far i have car audio and video for sale,2 rockford fosgate power bd 1000s,3 1000 watt rockford caps,one power 750 4 channel,two audio bahn 12s in ported box clarion touch screen flip out 2 7 inch screens in tan leather headrest,for sale or trade,all compatable,and

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by badda12
before going to far i have car audio and video for sale,2 rockford fosgate power bd 1000s,3 1000 watt rockford caps,one power 750 4 channel,two audio bahn 12s in ported box clarion touch screen flip out 2 7 inch screens in tan leather headrest,for sale or trade,all compatable,and

Before post dumping, post this in the for sale section of the forum.

Yea a lot of car audio brands like JL, Kicker, Rockford are overpriced and the quality of their product is not always that impressive. Don't get me wrong some of their products are top notch, I run a W7 in my truck, and its a potent little sub. But price wise its not efficient. Recently I've been turning to Elemental Designs http://www.edesignaudio.com for all my Car Audio stuff. Most reasonably priced, highest quality and best customer service in the industry. I have nothing but praise for them, they make some of the best products I have ever used. But that's just my .02.

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Im pretty sure I didnt say it was the only good sub out there. I know there are plenty of other good ones, MTX, Diamond, Precision, Infinity, and plenty more are good, I just recommended something that I know is a great product. I have had experience with alot of different kinds of car audio, and the JL's outperform every sub i've heard in sound quality, not loudness . They are pretty overpriced though i'll agree with yall on that. I'm lucky because I got a good deal on mine.

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by moto440ex
Im pretty sure I didnt say it was the only good sub out there. I know there are plenty of other good ones, MTX, Diamond, Precision, Infinity, and plenty more are good, I just recommended something that I know is a great product. I have had experience with alot of different kinds of car audio, and the JL's outperform every sub i've heard in sound quality, not loudness . They are pretty overpriced though i'll agree with yall on that. I'm lucky because I got a good deal on mine.

I can assure you there are PLENTY of better sounding woofers out there then JL and at a fraction of the cost. There is too much hype built up with JL, and it comes from a big advertising budget. I guess my point is people don't know any better because they don't realize what else is out there.

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah I see your point, I wasnt tryin to argue with anybody, just sayin what I know from personal experience, because my job I have is being an audio technician, and i've heard pretty much every brand out there, except I havent heard all of the offbrands because we all know there is plenty of those. And it all comes back down to personal preference though.

ShiftFMX
05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
My old setup...

ShiftFMX
05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
this was in a ranger...

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah I see your point, I wasnt tryin to argue with anybody, just sayin what I know from personal experience, because my job I have is being an audio technician, and i've heard pretty much every brand out there, except I havent heard all of the offbrands because we all know there is plenty of those. And it all comes back down to personal preference though.

Well if you haven't checked out Elemental Designs, you should. Hands down, best company I've ever dealt with. You get some pretty impressive SPL numbers with their woofers along with amazing SQL. http://www.edesignaudio.com

PismoLocal
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Every car truck show I go to where there is a bass contest who ever has the most MTX Thunder 8500's wins, those things are nuts. Personally I run my 10" and 12" power acoustik with a 2 channel 1600 watt amp. I use a crossover to control the tuning to the 10 though. One important thing when wiring your system is to make sure the impedence of your sub and amp match. The ohm's have to match on sub and amp. I run a 4 ohm amp on subs that have dual 2 ohm voicecoils so i have to wire them as a series circut so that both terminals on the sub ar recieving a 2ohm load instead of the 4 ohm load my amp puts out.

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah I'll have to check em out, I think I've heard of Elemental Designs before, but never heard the product. Yeah MTX Thunder series are pretty insane.

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
FandL450r, this is kind of off the subject, but how are you liken those Custom Axis Ti spring shocks? After seein em on ur quad I've been wantin to try a set out so bad. They look like they would ride really smooth.

rbgnwa45
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Infinity kappa perfect series are also nice budget woofers (350W rms), and they get real low :devil: YEEEAHhhHHHh (lil jon)

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah I'll have to check em out, I think I've heard of Elemental Designs before, but never heard the product. Yeah MTX Thunder series are pretty insane.

I would definitely check them out. I am constantly amazed each and every time I use another one of their products.

FandL450r, this is kind of off the subject, but how are you liken those Custom Axis Ti spring shocks? After seein em on ur quad I've been wantin to try a set out so bad. They look like they would ride really smooth.

They are amazing. Probably one of the smoothest front ends I've rode in a while. I'd love to try a set on a T-Pin front end. But thats some serious money right there. Yes they are extremely expensive, more than I thought I would ever spend. But in the end they are a truly amazing set of shocks.

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 11:19 AM
haha yea the Axis shocks and T-pin front end together would be in the $4000 + range, thats crazy. Im just gonna stick with my gibson/elka front end for awhile. Johnny at JH racing redid my elkas and they are a night and day difference from when i first got them. They are ALOT smoother.

Slinky
05-09-2006, 12:05 PM
i'm running JL 10w1's in my truck at the moment and i'm very impressed with them. I paid like 70 a sub for them, the 12's i'm sure are just as good.

but like everyone said, pick your subs then find an amp to suit them. Most good reputable stereo shops will lay out what you need and give you an overview on car audio, thats how i got started out, never bought a thing from a couple of the shops i hung out at, but learned a ****load from them.

enduro400rider
05-09-2006, 03:49 PM
dont mean to steal your thread but i got a quick question for you audio guys. my chrysler 300m i just got has a factory amp, now i know its a smaller amp just to amp the regular speakers in the car. but i have heard you can hook your sub amp up to your factory amp so you dont have to get a different head unit and mess with all of that. could someone tell me how i would do that? basically how do you hook up an amp in a factory amped car with out changing the head unit?

spent21
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
check out Crutchfield.com. they will send you a free catalog full of all kinds of goodies. they are just a little higher than your neighborhood sound shop, but they'll include installation instructions and kits so any retard with a screwdriver can install the merchandise. also, be sure to ask about returned equipment. they have a warehouse full of returned stuff that is good as new but at a discount. mostly stuff someone bought, decided they didn't like the way it looked, or didn't want it and sent it back. i've been buying stuff from them since i was in highschool (mmmmm almost 10 years) and have nothing but outstanding experience with them. friendly fast and thorough

antman
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
is this set up any good. i am trying to find some used ones near me. http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/158723479.html

the guy wants me to make him an offer . what do y'all think they are worth?

vpofthedrc
05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Those are RF subs pictured and suck. I would give Adire a try. I haven't heard of Elemental, but may give them a try in the wifes VUE.

400ex28
05-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Here's my set-up as of now, 2 Audiobahn 12's waiting on 2 more, they are in a box that me and my friend built. And a Rockford Fosgate 2,400 watt 4 channel amp pushing them....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/TCracin416ex/HPIM1805.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/TCracin416ex/HPIM1811.jpg

antman
05-09-2006, 07:06 PM
that is pretty sick
what kinda truck you got them in?

400ex28
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Ford Ranger

fandl450r
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Here's my set up.

moto440ex
05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Here's my set up.

Awesome Setup. I miss my JL W6v2

TGW_400ex
05-11-2006, 05:50 AM
I know if i was going to get a new sub I would probably get a RE XXX. My friend has one and god is that thing loud! I hear they changed them this year. Twice as heavy now!:eek2: